Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2024, 04:00 AM   #1

Indicator not automatically switching off and very quiet

Hi all,

My 986 has developed an issue where the indicator 'tick' sound is very quiet, plus it does not turn off automatically when the steering wheel straightens out. This means I can have the indicator continuing merrily until I manually switch it off.

Has anyone had the same issue or might know the cause?

highsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 06:23 AM   #2
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Yep, mine did the same thing a few years back. The problem is the device that self cancels the signal is plastic and can wear down. Sounds like a simple fix? Well the fix is replacing the entire assembly housing the signal stalk, wiper stalk and cruise control system behind the steering wheel. It is not difficult to replace but the cost was about $350 CDN so that was not good. I would have left it as is except I was in the process of selling the car and it would not have passed a safety inspection here in Manitoba. There is a YouTube video of someone doing the repair which is straight forward but pay special attention to disconnecting the battery and the airbag disconnect. You can get one of three assemblies from Porsche: 2 stalk, 3 stalk or 4 stalk depending if you have cruise and /or a computer stalk.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 06:56 PM   #3

Another option is to find a used stalk, cheaper than a new one.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 07:17 AM   #4

clockspring tabs

The turn signal on my Boxster didn't self-cancel when I bought it. The problem was that the ends of the delicate tabs that actuate the self-canceling mechanism had broken off. My fix was to replace the broken clockspring and the attached combination switch with a used clockspring/combination switch that I found on eBay. This has worked just fine for years even though one of the tabs on the replacement was broken when I got it. It's hard for me to understand why Porsche would have designed the part to be so fragile... Anyway, here's a photo to show what I'm taking about.

A few photos from when I did the work here - https://rx19jones.wixsite.com/projectboxster/projectboxster-1

dj
Old 02-12-2024, 06:48 AM   #5

Thank you! Really helpful advice. I'll take the stalk switch unit out and look to resolve
highsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 04:16 AM   #6
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by highsider View Post
Thank you! Really helpful advice. I'll take the stalk switch unit out and look to resolve
If you're going to remove the switch you might look into the 3-4 stalk setup. Onboard computer access, etc. It's been posted upon the forum many times, and is a nice upgrade. Good luck.

Tags
indicator