986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Has anyone removed soft top completely? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/8527-has-anyone-removed-soft-top-completely.html)

mn box s 12-09-2006 06:56 AM

Has anyone removed soft top completely?

Ok the majority of you will think Im crazy. Im debating removing my soft top completely. I have a hard top and thats about the only way I roll. If I ever go top down its a really nice day. I live in MN so thats about 3 months to choose from. I could probably get some cash money for a complete top. One of the biggest deciding factors is how much weight can I shave? Any comments please.

boggtown 12-09-2006 08:50 AM

I know on the racing board they did that (hardtop no soft top), but it would leave you a giant hole when you took the hardtop off. If you could find a way to "cover" the hole or something, id do it. Maybe you could get a shop to fiberglass a custom sub enclosure in that space, that way, youd have a big box, itd be flush with where the top originally went, and itd be effin cool.

MNBoxster 12-09-2006 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mn box s
Ok the majority of you will think Im crazy. Im debating removing my soft top completely. I have a hard top and thats about the only way I roll. If I ever go top down its a really nice day. I live in MN so thats about 3 months to choose from. I could probably get some cash money for a complete top. One of the biggest deciding factors is how much weight can I shave? Any comments please.

Hi,

Yep, I think you're nuts. I should copyright my SN and sue you for infringement... ;) Where in L'etoile du Nord are you located?

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

mn box s 12-09-2006 11:41 PM

I saw something that was like a truck bed cover or a boat cover that you can throw over the seats and back made of canvase. Im not sure if it covers the back. Anyone else seen this? Also any idea of the weight savings? Isnt the back cargo area (the area that is the engine cover) where the top resides? Would the hole be that big? Also think how easy the top motor acces would be. The fiberglassing would be left to me, Ive done lots of custom fiberglassing but not sure if you would really need to. Or you could use a speedster top? The other idea Ive been throwing around was a clear engine cover (no cargo area). Some more feed back please, you all are always lots of help.

mn box s 12-09-2006 11:47 PM

Oh didn't see your last question Plymouth/Maple Grove. The funny thing is when I set up my screen name I had never been on 986 before. Once I was I was like wow another MN boxster that posts lots of (posts)? Sorry not trying to steal your thunder. Drove my car today that was fun its been in the garage for a month now.