Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2006, 07:32 AM   #1

Question Annoying Squeal When Lowering Driver Window

Question 1: During the past days, my Box -98 has been having a constant squeal when lowering, or raising the driver side windows. Is there any fix for this? I'm assuming its the seals in the windows but I tried using vaseline to see if that would help and didn't work out. Can I buy the rubber parts of the window?

Question 2: I've been noticing a rattle coming from the back, I changed my engine mount so that isn't the problem. Do the struts plate come loose or is there anything from the convertible top that causes this noise? I have the hardtop and the noise is heard while even when it isn't used. I just started my vacations so Ill have plenty of time to work with these problems. I'm more interested with the windows issue, Its annoying!!!

BoxsterRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 10:41 AM   #2

You did not specify the year of your boxster.

The window squeal may be a regulator going out. They can make a racket when they're worn. You should remove the negative terminal from the battery, wait 15 minutes, then pull the door panel off and have a look at what might be going on.

There are susupension parts in the rear that go out on older boxsters. I think it's the tracking arms whose bushings wear out and need replacement. This could be it, or it could be something as simple as a loose bolt that holds your muffler in place.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 10:56 AM   #3

Regarding you 98 Boxster rattle. It could be the heat shield on the converters get underneth and wiggle them (when its cold) I had to tighten one of my shields. It could be a million things.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:28 AM   #4

plexus

your windows, really rub it in, until it's no longer smearing, your glass will be super slick! No squeek, if it is in fact the seals.
BobMarley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 01:36 AM   #5

Hiya,

I dont get a squeel but when I raise or lower bother windows, they both have quite a loud knock sound about halfway up or down??? Is this normal?

Cheers
Steven.

Past Cars
2006 MB C180k
2005 Peugeot 306
1980 928
2004 Subaru Liberty GT
2000 Nissan Pulsar SSS
smagerstein is offline   Reply With Quote