986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Vibration at 2800 RPM (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/8494-vibration-2800-rpm.html)

smagerstein 12-07-2006 06:25 AM

Vibration at 2800 RPM

GDay,

Does anyone here get a slight engine vibration at around 2800 RPM. I feel it mostly in 2nd and 3rd gear but also a little in 4th??

Can it be a balance/suspension setting or problem?

Any thought?

Cheers,

Steven

insite 12-07-2006 06:32 AM

could also be a motor mount. do you feel it on accel or deccel? turning or straight? do you feel in in the steering wheel, or just behind you?

smagerstein 12-07-2006 06:37 AM

Pretty much feel it a little behind me.

Took the car into the P dealer where I bought it and they took it for a drive and didnt think they noticed anything. So I went out with them as a passenger in the car and pointed it out. They still said it was nothing.

I purchased the car with a warranty from them so if I notice anything getting worse they will see it.

Accellerating Braking Cornering is perfect. Just that Vibration if i sit on 2800 - 3000 rpm in second and 3rd. Its not huge but you can notice it.

Maybe Im paranoid but Im not realy that sort of person.

z12358 12-07-2006 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smagerstein
Pretty much feel it a little behind me.

Took the car into the P dealer where I bought it and they took it for a drive and didnt think they noticed anything. So I went out with them as a passenger in the car and pointed it out. They still said it was nothing.

I purchased the car with a warranty from them so if I notice anything getting worse they will see it.

Accellerating Braking Cornering is perfect. Just that Vibration if i sit on 2800 - 3000 rpm in second and 3rd. Its not huge but you can notice it.

Maybe Im paranoid but Im not realy that sort of person.

I remember a lot of folks on forums complaining about resonance in that same rpm range from after-market exhaust mods. Looks like those are the natural (resonance) frequencies for the 986 body structure, so any source would get amplified in that freq band. Could be the mounts, as insite suggested. Does it sound like an exhaust resonance at all?

smagerstein 12-07-2006 07:01 AM

I dont think so. Exhaust look original
I will ask them about the mounts.

Thanks

MNBoxster 12-07-2006 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smagerstein
I dont think so. Exhaust look original
I will ask them about the mounts.

Thanks

Hi,

Also might have them look over the CV joints...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

smagerstein 12-07-2006 08:01 AM

Thanks MNBoxster.

CV joints.

How long generally should these last under norman conditions? I have done 33,000miles

Seems very early for CV joints. But what do I know.

Cheers

Steven

bmussatti 12-07-2006 08:14 AM

Yes, CV joints should last longer than 33K miles, but if one were damaged, or the protective rubber boot got torn, they can go pretty fast. Dirt can get in there and mess things up quickly.

insite 12-07-2006 02:43 PM

if it happens in any gear at the same RPM, it's probably not the CV joints since they're speed dependent, not rev dependent. it really could be a lot of things. if the PCar dealer says it's fine, i'd just keep driving and pay close attention to potential changes.

spongebob 12-07-2006 05:22 PM

I have a similar vibration between 2800 and 3000 rpm.
Mostly on decelleration.
I've learned that it can be the dual mass flywheel that make this vibration.
Do a search on all P-forums and there will be alot of reading.
If you change the enginemount to a new one you might not feel the vibration in the car, but it will still exist!.
I think this is some kind of designproblem in the engine that Porsche don't wan't to talk about due to their reputation :matchup:

smagerstein 12-08-2006 01:31 AM

Thanks for the info,

Cheers

Steven

ford40 12-08-2006 06:26 AM

I get that vibration on decelleration mostly in top gear on decelleration but I can feel it in 3rd and 4th decellerating. road force balanced all 4 tires iwht no improvement. Heard everything from dual flywheel to variable cams being the cause....oh well I've got a 100k porsche warrenty so not to worried at this point but it is a little disconcerting.