986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   987 Window Condensation and service (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/8467-987-window-condensation-service.html)

super66 12-05-2006 08:06 AM

987 Window Condensation and service

Hey guys, I swear I'm going to stop being lazy and take in the box for some service. Has any one had problems with condensation on the windows? Mine don't appear to be sealing very well. For some reason when I roll down the window sometimes it comes up wet and streaked as if water is in the door :confused: Also I have a couple things to have them look at but are there any recalls I might be missing? I checked TSB on renntech and am aware of:

creaky clutch - have it
rattling muffler - might have it
windstop rattle - have it

any other major ones I may be overlooking?

Thanks for helping me, take care of my car :D

bmussatti 12-05-2006 08:17 AM

W574- TSB for rattle in muffler.

Have them check for TSB W573- studs for engine carrier with caps.

They can fit the clutch and windstop rattle too.

bmussatti 12-05-2006 08:36 AM

If you have a lot of window condensation, try running your AC with heat on to dry the air. Make sure you are not running you heater with re-cycle mode. You want fresh air coming in.

CJ_Boxster 12-05-2006 08:37 AM

If your parking your car outside, and its winter in Illinois, you will get condensation and streek your windows with water especially if you roll them down in the mornings while the moister is still on the windows. If its parked in a garage thats atleast over 60 degrees then have the dealer check for gaps in the seals where the windows meet the convertible top.

boggtown 12-05-2006 08:46 AM

I have the same thing (rolling up the window and having a streak and a blot of water on the inside of the window). Dont know why, I thought it happened after I got my windows tinted and water got in there, are yours tinted? It looks like something touches the window on the inside of the panel and makes it wet, and when you roll it up it smears it down the window. Same thing for you?

CJ_Boxster 12-05-2006 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boggtown
I have the same thing (rolling up the window and having a streak and a blot of water on the inside of the window). Dont know why, I thought it happened after I got my windows tinted and water got in there, are yours tinted? It looks like something touches the window on the inside of the panel and makes it wet, and when you roll it up it smears it down the window. Same thing for you?

Usually there is a valour pad inside that holds the window stead while its down so the window doesnt rattle. Could be wet, greasy or anything.

SD987 12-05-2006 09:50 AM

As of 6/06, these were the TSBs out on a 05 987 base. Since then, as others have noted, there's something out there for the windstop clips. My 06 has the new clips and still rattles, so don't get too excited about that.

W566 - Adding convertible top emergency tool to the vehicle tool kit
W573 - Service Action - retrofitting studs for the engine carrier with caps
W574 - Installing washers on exhaust system bracket clamps

If you haven't switched tires yet, the rears at the least will be due ($), and it wouldn't surprise me if they tell you that the front brakes will be due sometime soonish.

You may also want to take this time to modify your OBC settings for any of the following, assuming you don't have PCM.

Daytime running lights (did it on the base, will do again on the S)
Auto-locking doors above 5mph (did it on the base, but annoying to me after awhile)
Side-markers blink with turn signals (plan on doing next time on the S, didn't know about it when I serviced the base)

I get condensation streaks when I've washed the car the day before, or when the car is parked outside overnight, which isn't often.

bmussatti 12-05-2006 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD987
As of 6/06, these were the TSBs out on a 05 987 base. Since then, as others have noted, there's something out there for the windstop clips. My 06 has the new clips and still rattles, so don't get too excited about that.

W566 - Adding convertible top emergency tool to the vehicle tool kit
W573 - Service Action - retrofitting studs for the engine carrier with caps
W574 - Installing washers on exhaust system bracket clamps

If you haven't switched tires yet, the rears at the least will be due ($), and it wouldn't surprise me if they tell you that the front brakes will be due sometime soonish.

You may also want to take this time to modify your OBC settings for any of the following, assuming you don't have PCM.

Daytime running lights (did it on the base, will do again on the S)
Auto-locking doors above 5mph (did it on the base, but annoying to me after awhile)
Side-markers blink with turn signals (plan on doing next time on the S, didn't know about it when I serviced the base)

I get condensation streaks when I've washed the car the day before, or when the car is parked outside overnight, which isn't often.

Hi SD987, are you sure they can make the 987 side markers blink? I would really like this too! Please confirm. Thanks.

super66 12-05-2006 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmussatti
Hi SD987, are you sure they can make the 987 side markers blink? I would really like this too! Please confirm. Thanks.

hey guys thanks for all the feedback....B, they can make them blink to my understanding, it is a hack they can do, right now ours turn on with the lights, if they make them blink, they won't turn on with your lights, they only turn on when you hit the signal if I understood correctly. I opted to have mine just be on so cars could see me maybe???

I think I'll be good on tires since I rotate the snow tires so I should have some life....

Bogg, mine are not tinted but I noticed it ever since I used the Meguiars window cleaner (at least that is what I am going with) maybe CJ is right and the pad down there is collecting residue....I'm getting my condendation on the upper edge of the inside window after it sits, that's why I am guessing there is a leak somewhere......maybe if I get reall bored I'll snap a pic of it one day if I catch it again

SD987 12-05-2006 11:12 AM

Super66's side-marker description is accurate.

Side-markers or turn-signals, not both.

eslai 12-05-2006 02:31 PM

The fact that the inside of the window gets wet when you roll it down is a known issue, but not one that is being addressed in any TSB so far.