986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   How can I use my IPOD in my new Boxster? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/8443-how-can-i-use-my-ipod-my-new-boxster.html)

Spy4cia 12-02-2006 08:59 PM

How can I use my IPOD in my new Boxster?

So that it runs thru the car's stereo system. I don't want to use the plug in thing that uses an empty FM channel. Any device/system out there that allows me to "plug in" the IPOD into the car's stereo system???

Thanks in advance...

z12358 12-03-2006 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spy4cia
So that it runs thru the car's stereo system. I don't want to use the plug in thing that uses an empty FM channel. Any device/system out there that allows me to "plug in" the IPOD into the car's stereo system???

Thanks in advance...

I've been contemplating the hardwired FM modulator:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-EYx4t5KTCVH/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=234550&tab=essential_info&i=142FMMO D01#Tab
Most of the reviews on that website are good, except for some which I think are caused by a bad installation. Quality of a good FM station without the parasitic effects of a wireless link plaguing the over-the-air FM modulators. And for $30 it's a cheap option to try. What's the reason you don't want it?

Only other alternative is Dension. Search for it on other Porsche forums. There's a group buy arranged for it but the ETA gets moved all the time. So not there yet. Here's one discussion on the subject:
http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=6177&hl=dension

Z.

Chills 12-03-2006 04:20 AM

If you do a search there's TONS of threads about iPods in Boxsters, I've started a couple myself.

If you've got a CR/CDR 220 then it's really easy to plug a special iPod cable in where the CD changer plugs.

z12358 12-03-2006 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chills
If you do a search there's TONS of threads about iPods in Boxsters, I've started a couple myself.

If you've got a CR/CDR 220 then it's really easy to plug a special iPod cable in where the CD changer plugs.

Spy was asking about 987 which has a different stereo from 986. But now that you mention it. Is there a reason why the CD changer input plug couldn't be used as an iPod input in the 987? If you know of any, could you post links where this is discussed for a 987, as well?

Thanks,
Z.

Rail26 12-03-2006 05:22 AM

There are a ton of threads on this subject as Chills said, however none of them apply to your 987. If you have a 987, the only way to do it right now is the cheap FM transmitter such as Itrip or Belkin makes one also. I have heard good things about the hardwired FM modulator, however I don't really know much about it.

z12358 12-03-2006 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rail26
There are a ton of threads on this subject as Chills said, however none of them apply to your 987. If you have a 987, the only way to do it right now is the cheap FM transmitter such as Itrip or Belkin makes one also. I have heard good things about the hardwired FM modulator, however I don't really know much about it.

Forget the FM over-the-air transmitter option. The ones I've heard are awful, and almost ALL comments and reviews are negative. Not even worth trying, IMHO.

webster132 12-03-2006 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by z12358
Forget the FM over-the-air transmitter option. The ones I've heard are awful, and almost ALL comments and reviews are negative. Not even worth trying, IMHO.

They're extremely bad. Incredibly frustrating experience. Getting a hardwired FM modulator is the way to go. Relatively cheap, superb sound.

ukchris 12-03-2006 07:58 AM

Essentially you have three choices, maybe four:

1) Replace the head unit and amp with more standard ones, maybe even the speakers too.

2) Wait for the Dension unit, this has been *imminent* for months and is supposedly in final testing (still). This will provide aux in (and other features) vua the optical system used in your car. Price will be in the $600 range.

3) Hard wired FM modulator - you'll also need antenna adaptors (Euro to Motorola). This is probably the best option right now and pretty cheap too, you can get something going for around $50,

4) Broadcast FM modulator - most people are dismissive of these, they'r cheap, require no wiring but give very mixed results. Some people are happy but the majority are not.

Chris.

Chills 12-03-2006 08:46 AM

Just out of curiousity what is a hard-wired FM modulator? Is that where you connect the device directly to the antenna?

ukchris 12-03-2006 08:52 AM

Quote:

Just out of curiousity what is a hard-wired FM modulator? Is that where you connect the device directly to the antenna?

Yes, it's a box that you insert between the antenna and the head unit, it generates an FM signal that the radio plays. What is more important (over wireless ones) is that it disconnects the antenna signal while active so you don't get other stations trying to drown out your signal.

Chris.

z12358 12-03-2006 08:52 AM

Quote:

Yes, it plugs into the the antena input for the stereo, so the FM modulated signal skips the radio (over-the-air) part of the transmission thus avoiding all the bad things (noise, echo, antenna loss, etc.) associated with it. The signal is still FM (frequency modulation) modulated, and the FM demodulator in the stereo's radio is still used, just like it would be for all signals coming through the antena.

Z.

oranje 12-12-2006 07:45 PM

Dension Gateway 500 finally here?

Did some snooping around some European distributor sites for the Gateway 500. The French dension site says "Enfin disponible!" for the Porsche CDR24, which translates to "finally available". Also, a Danish site lets you put it into the cart.

In addition, a firmware upgrade that's found on Dension's website has a readme file that claims that v0.80 of the firmware added "Porsche added" and some specific DIP switch settings are needed for CDR24.

Could it maybe, perhaps, finally be available? Have pigs finally learned how to fly?

Too bad Dension USA has dropped Dension in favor of DICE, which has no mention of Porsche MOST support...

ukchris 12-13-2006 03:37 AM

Eric at BumperPlugs is organizing a group buy on the Dension in the US, not sure if it'll be the Dension or the Dice but his last update said it will ship by early January.

Details here http://www.bumperplugs.com/DensionGroupBuy2.html

Chris.

cartagena 12-13-2006 04:06 AM

I bought one of those wireless FM transmitters for the Ipod. IT SUCKS. I used it ONCE and tossed it.

super66 12-13-2006 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cartagena
I bought one of those wireless FM transmitters for the Ipod. IT SUCKS. I used it ONCE and tossed it.

they are the worst thing ever.....I will break my griffin i trip with a hammer, I am going the hardwired route for the iPod connection....once the car comes back from the dealer, I'll get it done and let you all know how it turns out....

UroTrash 12-13-2006 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by super66
they are the worst thing ever.....I will break my griffin i trip with a hammer, I am going the hardwired route for the iPod connection....once the car comes back from the dealer, I'll get it done and let you all know how it turns out....

Before you break it......

I have one, and it's a disaster in the car...

but....

we have a little house at the beach with an old stereo. the little transmitter/iPod works great there on the coffee table so I don't have to mobilize my lazy *** and walk over to the stereo, not to mention the stereo has no iPod-able jack.

dcallas 12-13-2006 12:29 PM

I recently got a little creative with my iPod integration in my 2002 986. It's somewhat of a pricey option, but I think it's well worth it.

I wanted to have my iPod AND my XM tuner run through the stereo ("direct connect") without losing my CD changer. After a lot of Google searches (and thanks to a lot of the folks here at 986forum), I came up with a pretty cool solution.

First, for the iPod I bougt a spec.dock from www.2point5.com. A spec.dock is an iPod dock that replaces the ashtray in your Boxster. You send them your ashtray, they remove the "flip door", attach it to a spec.dock (complete with whatever wiring you need) and send it back. Here's a shot:
http://www.2point5.com/images/996_ins.jpg

This cost me $199.

Second, I already had a Delphi SkyFi 2 XM receiver mounted, but I was using the FM modulator function. So I had to purchase a $20 cable to direct connect the XM.

Third, I bought a Soundgate Aux3 switch, which basically allows you to connect multiple devices to one head unit (in my case, the Becker CDR 220) and toggle back and forth between them using a small black switch, which I mounted in the "dead" space opposite the cigarette ligher (i.e., if there was a lighter on the left side of the stereo panel, this is where it would be).

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/images/sg/aux3_m.jpg

The Aux3 cost me $60 I think.

I had Al & Ed's do the install for me for $200 (I'm not handy enough to be removing panels and rewiring stuff in my car). The net result is an iPod, XM Receiver and CD Changer ALL direct connected to my head unit with a nice, sleek 3-way switch mounted next to the receiver for me to choose which I want to listen to, and the iPod dock cleverly hidden away in the ashtray beneath the flip door (very James Bond-esque if I do say so myself). ONE DRAWBACK: I still have to control the iPod from the iPod itself, not from the stereo controls. But I preferred this option - others may prefer to purchase the additional hardware that lets you control it from the stereo controls.

So, spec.dock from 2point5.com, Soundgate Aux3 from some discount stereo website, XM from Al & Ed's, miscelleneous cables from Al & Ed's and about $200 of installation. It's a very sleek option and it looks and sounds great!!!

I'll also add that, although FM modulators are far, far inferior to a direct connection, the one modulator I had pretty good luck with was the dLo TransDock (http://dlo.com/products/TP_black_Prod.tpl?command=showpage&cart=1166045325 2312772). If you're on a budget, this one isn't bad.

Happy driving.