Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2006, 01:27 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to EuroProjektzKelvin
Boxster Triptronic Solenoid problem

i'm having Triptronic Solenoid problem the transmission slips from time to time.

Sometime when down shifting the transmission has a 2-3 sec. lag and then all of a sudden catches.

Also once in a while driving the transmission would studder and sputter like its have a seizure and drive would terrible and vibrate like crazy

Any suggestions?

EuroProjektzKelvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 07:48 AM   #2

Hi,

Think all that extra weight it has to carry or more power/torque may have something to do with it..?? j/k

I don't know why you say it's a solenoid? The only Solenoid in the unit is the Shiftlock Solenoid and that lives in the Center Console. It's purpose is to prevent you from shifting into reverse(or any gear from Park) unless you have your foot applied on the Brake.

I suspect that either it's low on Fluid, have you checked this, or for possible leaks? Or that it's been beat to death, in which case, only replacement is an option because Porsche doens't make internal parts available for the unit.

In fact, one of the local Dealerships here said they don't even have a mechanic familiar with the unit because they've never had one fail, the Tiptronics are pretty bulletproof.

This leads me to believe that if you are having problems, abuse is likely high on the list as to the cause, and replacement probably your only option. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 10:47 AM   #3

Several solenoids hide inside the transmission valve body. It's best to take it to the dealer and they can check the fluid level and any fault codes.
wvicary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 01:51 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to EuroProjektzKelvin
Thanks, yea i drive my car pretty hard and also track it. I'll check the fluid and if its bad i'm doing a change and swapping a new filter in.

Thanks again
EuroProjektzKelvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 02:16 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
@ Europrojektz,

Hey I'm all for signature pictures but...Dude yours is WAY TOO BIG,perhaps if you shrink it some that will help.

By the way that is one hot asain chick in the bikini in your car.

Last edited by blinkwatt; 12-02-2006 at 02:19 PM.
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote