986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Broke more than I fixed today... (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/84255-broke-more-than-i-fixed-today.html)

elav 12-31-2023 03:07 PM

Broke more than I fixed today...

I have a '98 Boxster and was switching a convertible top with a bad window with a used top assembly that is in better condition. I broke the plastic mount that holds the rear window defrost plug and then ran the wires for the microswitch on the driver's side incorrectly. When testing the top, the clip that holds the microswitch wires broke and the motor went past the point it should - and wouldn't reverse.

I ended up bending both transmission arms popping the ball joints for the cover off - so I could get access to the area and now that there isn't anything attached to the transmissions, they aren't turning still. I checked the fuses but then ran out of steam.

Does anyone have a diagram of how the wires for that microswitch is run? Boy, I was convinced it was going to be a simple job of removing the 3 fasteners on each side...

Danimal 01-02-2024 08:18 AM

Ouch! None of my projects have been easy on this car either. Something always fights me and takes twice as long as it should. Hopefully you get it sorted out soon!

Gilles 01-03-2024 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danimal (Post 657866)
. Something always fights me and takes twice as long as it should. Hopefully you get it sorted out soon!

Danimal, you reminded me of my wife, as every time I am planning to work on the car (even a small project) she always jinx me by making fun of me and it ends taking me most of the day.. :p
Last time it was in front of my new friend Starter 986 while replacing his transmission mounts :rolleyes:

Starter986 01-04-2024 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gilles (Post 657881)
Danimal, you reminded me of my wife, as every time I am planning to work on the car (even a small project) she always jinx me by making fun of me and it ends taking me most of the day.. :p
Last time it was in front of my new friend Starter 986 while replacing his transmission mounts :rolleyes:

I remember that! We went into a 2-3 hour job, your wife talked some smack to you, and when next I looked up near 8 hours had gone by, You need to get your wife her own crib, man. :p

Believe it or not... I haven't been any further west on the 91 than... well, I haven't been anywhere near your place...as still I have your nice puck-lift thingies. Haven't used them in spite of having lifted the car a few times since... what?... last January? A year? Time flies!

I'll get them too you sooner or later. :cheers:

Gilles 01-05-2024 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starter986 (Post 657900)
I remember that! We went into a 2-3 hour job, your wife talked some smack to you, and when next I looked up near 8 hours had gone by, You need to get your wife her own crib, man. :p:

You should come with your wife and we'll have a BBQ :-)

Danimal 01-05-2024 10:19 PM

Haha. The curse continues! I just finished replacing the fuel filter, engine mount, spark plugs/tubes/coils, transmission fluid, and misc. underbody panels. All of which took way longer than I had hoped.

But I managed to squish the fluid from one of the transmission mounts when I jacked the engine back up after changing the mount.: mad: I should have supported it further forward on the oil pan, but I supported it further back at the transmission joint like one of the youtube videos. I was worried it was too far back.....and it was. cool cool cool another item to add to my future clutch/rms/ims replacement.

So 5 steps forward, 1 step back....:rolleyes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gilles (Post 657881)

husker boxster 01-06-2024 05:17 AM

Sunday was one of those days. The first 2 things I worked on ended up worse than when I started. When the 3rd thing started to head south, I quit. Some days are like that. Experience says to call it a day and leave the garage.

Wed however was the opposite. I got the rear rotors and pads changed as well as the park brake adjusted in 1.5 hrs. I had budged 2.5. Unfortunately I didn't have any big items to tackle the rest of the day, so I had to just dink around with smaller jobs. Strike while the iron is hot.