986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   I think I'm turning Japanese (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/8424-i-think-im-turning-japanese.html)

limoncello 12-01-2006 07:18 AM

I think I'm turning Japanese

I really think so.

The harsh news first - I sold the Box. A sad day indeed, but I think I'll try therapy first, and if that doesn't work I'll drown my sorrows in liquid refreshment.

Why sold? Couple of reasons - mostly the SCCA broomstick rule and the fact that I'm too tall. Even with a BK extension I can't legally pass. Darn. But also repair and maintenance costs, a vague fear of rms (but not really a critical factor).

Replacement - new RX8 6 speed. Major advantages - it's a coupe (no broomsticks), it handles well, has good brakes, has 5/48 warranty. Minor advantages: I can hear the radio. It can seat 4 in a pinch, although the rear seats are like sitting in a pit.
Major disadvantage - it's not a Porsche. :(

Summary of the Boxster: Boy was that fun! Wow. Was that fun or what?
Dream car: Cayman, S or non. I'll be back!

This forum: Best there is, period. Most mature, fewest flames, best technical info, so I'll keep watching. I suggest avoiding lot of the Japanese car forums - the tech info is there but mixed in with a lot of testosterone and false bravado, plus some downright childish posts.

Drive safe, have fun!
Tom

Sammy 12-01-2006 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by limoncello

This forum: Best there is, period. Most mature...

Well... well... your mom wears combat boots! :P

Congratulations on your new purchase! This sounds kind of weird but the thing I like the most about the RX-8 is the interior is really nice and the seats were awesome!

Sammy

limoncello 12-01-2006 09:04 AM

re: boots
notice I chose "most mature", rather than "completely mature" or "highly mature" :)

BTW, does this mean I have to turn in my key to the Zuffenhausen Louge??? :eek:

djomlas 12-01-2006 09:05 AM

congrats...kinda, post some 'leaving boxster' pics
go to youtube.com and search for "rx8 top gear" a very good clip on that car.

unklekraker 12-01-2006 09:10 AM

sad to hear! but we know, sometimes a brother has to leave the house and explore what's out there :) Congratulations on your new path of automobile trail and the key...well, we all know you are coming back soon, so no need to turn it in :cheers:

Quote:

re: boots
notice I chose "most mature", rather than "completely mature" or "highly mature" :)

BTW, does this mean I have to turn in my key to the Zuffenhausen Louge??? :eek:

ohioboxster 12-01-2006 09:24 AM

Oh yeah, sure, go get a reliable car see if we care. Goodluck and let us know if you miss 150.00 oil changes.

Brucelee 12-01-2006 09:27 AM

Quote:

I really think so.

The harsh news first - I sold the Box. A sad day indeed, but I think I'll try therapy first, and if that doesn't work I'll drown my sorrows in liquid refreshment.

Why sold? Couple of reasons - mostly the SCCA broomstick rule and the fact that I'm too tall. Even with a BK extension I can't legally pass. Darn. But also repair and maintenance costs, a vague fear of rms (but not really a critical factor).

Replacement - new RX8 6 speed. Major advantages - it's a coupe (no broomsticks), it handles well, has good brakes, has 5/48 warranty. Minor advantages: I can hear the radio. It can seat 4 in a pinch, although the rear seats are like sitting in a pit.
Major disadvantage - it's not a Porsche. :(

Summary of the Boxster: Boy was that fun! Wow. Was that fun or what?
Dream car: Cayman, S or non. I'll be back!

This forum: Best there is, period. Most mature, fewest flames, best technical info, so I'll keep watching. I suggest avoiding lot of the Japanese car forums - the tech info is there but mixed in with a lot of testosterone and false bravado, plus some downright childish posts.

Drive safe, have fun!
Tom

Best of luck, Tom!

MNBoxster 12-01-2006 09:50 AM

Hi,

Be sure to stay in touch, you're a great contributor. Good luck with the RX8 and the Rotary Power, it's a pretty nice machine...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Dr. Kill 12-01-2006 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Be sure to stay in touch, you're a great contributor. Good luck with the RX8 and the Rotary Power, it's a pretty nice machine...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Yes, I test drove one a few years back and really liked it - great handling and excellent road manners - a very nice and practical DD for an enthusiast driver.

Good luck to you and don't be a stranger.

bagwell 12-02-2006 01:17 PM

RX8 is nice congrats --- but how come they haven't made the MAZDASPEED RX8 yet??? They came out with the 6 Mazdaspeed with is a total waste IMO...

Adam 12-02-2006 03:35 PM

Sorry to see you leave... keep the revs up on that Rx8.

ephidaboost 12-05-2006 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bagwell
RX8 is nice congrats --- but how come they haven't made the MAZDASPEED RX8 yet??? They came out with the 6 Mazdaspeed with is a total waste IMO...

Thats what Im saying.. if they were offering a >280 horse mazdaspeed rx8 I would be tempted to go out and get one. They have been talking about it since '04.

986_inquiry 12-05-2006 09:22 PM

you sold a boxster for a Mazda RX8? Were they out of Nissan 350z's? How long did you cry at the dealership?