986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Softtop Noise Longterm Consensus (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/8413-softtop-noise-longterm-consensus.html)

1JB 11-30-2006 06:40 AM

Softtop Noise Longterm Consensus

I've got and '06 with 4k miles on it and a minor clicking noise from the softtop on the passenger side when I go over minor road bumps. If I put a finger between the softtop and the metal that meets the window right at the curve it stops. The driver side does the same thing on a big bump so the passenger side seems to do it more often because that is the bumpier side of the road. What's been people's experience with the softtop longterm - is this something I just get used to or should the top be quiet. Seems to me it's always going to have noises like this by its very nature isn't it? Car is rattle and squeak free with the top down which is amazing to me.

z12358 11-30-2006 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1JB
I've got and '06 with 4k miles on it and a minor clicking noise from the softtop on the passenger side when I go over minor road bumps. If I put a finger between the softtop and the metal that meets the window right at the curve it stops. The driver side does the same thing on a big bump so the passenger side seems to do it more often because that is the bumpier side of the road. What's been people's experience with the softtop longterm - is this something I just get used to or should the top be quiet. Seems to me it's always going to have noises like this by its very nature isn't it? Car is rattle and squeak free with the top down which is amazing to me.

I have almost 5k miles on mine and I don't hear any noises from the softtop (or anywhere else), even when driving on a bumpy country road. I'm sure it'll loosen up somewhat with time but so far the car seems like it's built from a single piece of sturdy metal. What does the dealer say about the sounds?

1JB 11-30-2006 07:03 AM

Thanks Z. I've beed debating whether or not to take it in to the dealer. I think I will now and see what they can do.

boggtown 11-30-2006 07:24 AM

ha, sorry to be off topic but I noticed your sig said "bi xenons", does that just mean you have 2 headlights? lol.

MNBoxster 11-30-2006 07:46 AM

Hi,

I suspect that it's either retensioning the Top (adjusting the Tension Cable Ball Joints) or that it may not be timed exactly side-to-side (adjustable in ¼ turn increments of the Top Cables at the motor).

But, I really can't say because I've never driven my Boxster with the Top UP, not even one time. Guess someday I should at least try it once, just to say I've done it... :)

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

z12358 11-30-2006 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

I suspect that it's either retensioning the Top (adjusting the Tension Cable Ball Joints) or that it may not be timed exactly side-to-side (adjustable in ¼ turn increments of the Top Cables at the motor).

But, I really can't say because I've never driven my Boxster with the Top UP, not even one time. Guess someday I should at least try it once, just to say I've done it... :)

I too should have made a similar disclaimer. Probably only 10% of the total miles driven have been with the top up -- only when it was rainy, too cold, or when going to a couple of functions with a dressed up fiance on board. HUGE part of the joy when driving my Box comes from the top being down.

Z.

RandallNeighbour 11-30-2006 08:15 AM

Convertibles have historically been called noisy or "rattle traps" because of the mechanisms that must work in concert to raise and lower the roof, manual or electric.

One must take this into consideration. Mine makes all kinds of racket.

Ray 11-30-2006 01:53 PM

I couldn't help but to quote my warranty booklet (It's also in bold):

Your vehicle is a mechanical device. All mechanical devices make some sort of noise, and/or vibration and those noises and vibrations can differ from vehicle to vehicle. Porsche Cars N.A. recognizes those noises as normal and characteristic of the product. Normal noises or vibrations as determined by Porsche Cars N.A. can be anything from brake squeal to road vibration. Therefore, normal noise and/or vibration and/or deterioration as determined by Porsche Cars N.A. or its representative, is not covered by our warranty.

MNBoxster 11-30-2006 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray
I couldn't help but to quote my warranty booklet (It's also in bold):

Your vehicle is a mechanical device. All mechanical devices make some sort of noise, and/or vibration and those noises and vibrations can differ from vehicle to vehicle. Porsche Cars N.A. recognizes those noises as normal and characteristic of the product. Normal noises or vibrations as determined by Porsche Cars N.A. can be anything from brake squeal to road vibration. Therefore, normal noise and/or vibration and/or deterioration as determined by Porsche Cars N.A. or its representative, is not covered by our warranty.

Hi,

WOW - That disclaimer couldn't be more Bulletproof if it was wrapped in Kevlar! Those guys in Stuttgart crack me up...

Wonko The Sane 11-30-2006 06:53 PM

... Wait, you mean the top can be up when you're driving?... Interesting, I'll have to read my owners manual and see if mine does too :)