Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2006, 05:44 PM   #1

Shelby GT 500 Commercial

Has anyone seen the new Shelby GT 500 commercial? It shows a new GT 500 being driven on the autobahn and it's passing a Carrera GT. Does Ford really think the 500 can take on the Carrera even on a straight and open road? Whoever volunteered their Carrera for this commercial should be summarily taken out and shot!

SigmaPi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 05:51 PM   #2
boggtown

I get the frustration, but you dont have to go 200 if you dont want to. So I think the GT was just chillin (as regular autobahn drivers do, i think, ) If I lived in germany, im sure id only go 120 daily, and like 140 on fun trips, and if I had the carrera Id probably do 140 daily and 200+on some fun spurts.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:36 PM   #3

IIRC the spoiler is up on the CGT as the Shelby passes it, maybe they put it up manually, maybe it comes up at a comparatively low speed. It's interesting though, they don't seem to focus on it, I'd bet 95% of viewers have no clue there is a Porsche in the ad.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:55 PM   #4

"chillin" on the Autobahn

Hi,

as a German who lived in Germany for the first 35 years of my life I can tell you that if you only go 120 kph on the Autobahn you get passed by anything with more than 75 bhp (that includes Trucks).
Cruising speed is somewhere between 140 and 200 kph. Fun starts somewhere north of that. If you "chill" at 120 kph in a Carrera GT you get laughed off the road...

My best guess is the Carrera GT pulled to the right because he was getting ready to leave the Autobahn.
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 11:18 PM   #5
FIG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZang
My best guess is the Carrera GT pulled to the right because he was getting ready to leave the Autobahn.
Or it was just a commercial
FIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 11:22 PM   #6

I noticed the Carerra GT as well. I also noticed the sound of the Shelby.....pretty good for a Ford.
Rodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 04:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnell!
.....pretty good for a Ford.
Pretty good for a Ford? 500 horsepower/450 ft-lbs of torque. 0-60 in 4 seconds and a 12.5 second quarter mile. All for $42,000. What do we have to spend on a Porsche to get close to those numbers?
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 04:49 AM   #8
boggtown

Im american, I use Miles per hour, I meant 120 miles per hour, not KPH, So itd be like 200 kph-300kph is what I meant.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:56 AM   #9

Yeah, but would you want your friends to see you in it? Most people can't tell the difference between the Cobra and the "tuck your balls between your legs and dance the cha cha" 6 banger chick mobile. Cheap American Horsepower...no thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly
Pretty good for a Ford? 500 horsepower/450 ft-lbs of torque. 0-60 in 4 seconds and a 12.5 second quarter mile. All for $42,000. What do we have to spend on a Porsche to get close to those numbers?
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 05:06 AM   #10
boggtown

Ive already seen one like 2 years ago (crazy I know) some dealer had one, it looks like any other stang, but the hood, bumper, and racing stripes are the only significant changes. I could buy a new mustang used for like 16, buy a hood, bumper, mufflers, and vinal decals for about 2 grand. So for 18 large, you could have your own gt500, oh ya, the little badging will set you back like $20-60.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail26
Yeah, but would you want your friends to see you in it? Most people can't tell the difference between the Cobra and the "tuck your balls between your legs and dance the cha cha" 6 banger chick mobile. Cheap American Horsepower...no thanks.
Hey, don't pick on my wife's car

jk, I begged her to get the V8 and stick shift, but she wanted the V6 automatic.

I feel like such a wuss on the rare occasions that I drive her car...

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 06:57 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCats
Hey, don't pick on my wife's car

jk, I begged her to get the V8 and stick shift, but she wanted the V6 automatic.

I feel like such a wuss on the rare occasions that I drive her car...

Nick
Nick,

Redfire. Same color as my GT.

Rail,

When the light turns green they'll all know the difference between the Shelby and the six.

Bogg,

The key is that it "looks" like any other Mustang. Yeah, you could put together a look-a-like pretty easily. But, you'd look like a dick when a player rolled up along side and you didn't have the ass to back up the look.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:36 AM   #13

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
well thats all drag race horsepower, down a straight line. try keeping up with that car trough the turns and ull find urself in a ditch most likely
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 09:43 AM   #14

You guys are embarrassing me. This is precisely the attitude that leads many people to label Porsche owners as "dicks".

That Shelby would hand a Boxster it's ass on pretty much any track. What may lack in the turns it would more than make up for in the straights. No, the steering wouldn't be nearly as precise, the brakes might lack in pedal feel and ultimate stopping power, and the ride may not be as refined. The Boxster is a better car in nearly all aspects... except it would end up in second place.

Hey, I love my Boxster, but reality is a ********************.

Last edited by JackG; 11-27-2006 at 09:52 AM.
JackG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 10:18 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackG
You guys are embarrassing me. This is precisely the attitude that leads many people to label Porsche owners as "dicks".

That Shelby would hand a Boxster it's ass on pretty much any track. What may lack in the turns it would more than make up for in the straights. No, the steering wouldn't be nearly as precise, the brakes might lack in pedal feel and ultimate stopping power, and the ride may not be as refined. The Boxster is a better car in nearly all aspects... except it would end up in second place.

I think you might find this link interesting. A Cobalt hung with a Mustang GT on a pretty long track. This is by no means an apples to apples comparison but it does show a lower powered car hanging with a much faster car simply due to handling characteristics.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/11755/the-lightning-lap.html

I think the head to head on any road course could go either way, but my money would be on the Boxster. The Shelby would need to slow down too much to turn and can't carry the speed...

Put slicks on the Shelby and things would probably tilt the other way...
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 10:20 AM   #16

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
I actually thought that commercial was cleaver. Specially when the guy that transported the car says "You couldn't find a car in Germany that you liked" and the owner replys "No I just couldn't find a speed limit in America that I liked".

All in all though I like the Shelby GT500 and im sure its a pretty nice drive.
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 10:38 AM   #17

Quote:

No question, Jack. The only thing that might slow the Shelby down a bit is the $10,000 in the trunk that the driver didn't spend on the new Porsche.

I love my Boxster too. But I don't love it so much that I've lost my sense of reason.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:58 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy
I think you might find this link interesting. A Cobalt hung with a Mustang GT on a pretty long track. This is by no means an apples to apples comparison but it does show a lower powered car hanging with a much faster car simply due to handling characteristics.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/11755/the-lightning-lap.html

I think the head to head on any road course could go either way, but my money would be on the Boxster. The Shelby would need to slow down too much to turn and can't carry the speed...

Put slicks on the Shelby and things would probably tilt the other way...
There's no doubt that the GT is tuned to be more of a cruiser than a racer. But we're talking about the Shelby version, with 500hp and tweaked suspension. It's pretty hard to overcome a 250hp advantage.

Did you notice the Shelby in the article you linked? It turned its laps right with a Cayman S, and it had engine problems. According to the article, the Shelby was falling on it's face at 5000 rpm, a whole 1000 rpm shy of its peak. There's your proof... a Boxster would be no match for a Shelby.
JackG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 11:25 AM   #19

Quote:
There's no doubt that the GT is tuned to be more of a cruiser than a racer. But we're talking about the Shelby version, with 500hp and tweaked suspension. It's pretty hard to overcome a 250hp advantage.

Did you notice the Shelby in the article you linked? It turned its laps right with a Cayman S, and it had engine problems. According to the article, the Shelby was falling on it's face at 5000 rpm, a whole 1000 rpm shy of its peak. There's your proof... a Boxster would be no match for a Shelby.
Yeah, I noticed the Shelby, but for discussion my point was better shown in the other comparison because the engine issue raises a few too many questions. My point being that an underpowered car (even being FWD) can hang with a high powered car because of handling and shouldn't be dismissed.

Regarding the Shelby, I don't believe that 2 seconds is close when you have the top three cars all within 0.5 seconds of each other. Even if the engine was running properly, the time made up in the straights would be minor compared to what it loses in the corners.

I forgot to add that I think a base Boxster would have a hard time keeping up, but I think a "S" would take care of business.

BTW - I thought it was a great article and hopefully they will keep using this comparison in the future.
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 12:17 PM   #20

couple funny things here....imagine if the porsche had the engine troubles?! oh boy the ford is getting a free pass on our forum

I don't get into this stuff too much but seems like the cayman S beat the gt 500 around the track.....which would indicate the new box s would beat it as well....at least until ford fixes their engines

super66 is offline   Reply With Quote