986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Artistic Preservation (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/8385-artistic-preservation.html)

boggtown 11-28-2006 07:35 PM

I took mine off to wash it, and put it under my passenger seat. Its still there and if some cop asks me I can say " Oh, I took it off today when I washed my car and forgot to put it back on, its right here in the floorboard"

NickCats 11-28-2006 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob O
Besides, if I ever DO get asked about it, its in the front trunk, behind the spare tire.... really it is. I'm waiting for the part to come in from the dealer so I can install it. :)

Bob,

Good one !

Illinois is also a front plate state. Mine is also in the front trunk in the pocket of the spare tire cover :)

I was planning on using the same excuse "waiting for the part to come in from the dealer", though with my luck I'd probably get a ticket anyway :(

Nick

djomlas 11-28-2006 08:25 PM

if u do get pulled over, and tell them that....it will not work with the illinois cop, especially at the end of the month, or if its a random safety stop check point kinda thing.
i was going trough a toll, and a freaking cop jumped in front of my car as i was paying, told me to pull over by the side and ticketed me...plate of course, and slick tires. then a few minutes later i was on CLT TV being asked why i was pulled over. BS

from then on i just put it on....

Adam 11-28-2006 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djomlas
17 tickets so far, now i just leave it on and get on with it, its getting old here in chicago.
but then, im so pissed, my friend never had one on his e36 and never got pulled over.

they told me that they can charge you with some kind of homicide if the plate should fly off your windshield/dash and slice your passingers throat. wow

Wow, I live down state and they have hardly ever bothered me without a front plate in the last 3 yrs. A university cop stopped me twice in a month for not having a front plate, but he didn't ticket me. A state cop mentioned the lack of a front plate while he was was writing a speeding ticket and he said it will be noted and I better have it on there next time :rolleyes: Fine, whatever a $50 ticket every blue moon is a drop in the bucket. It's a BS law and the cops know it.

David N. 11-29-2006 01:38 AM

I know there's no properly scientific way to measure among the people here (in different areas, different commutes, different driving styles), but reading Adam's reply and his car specs, all the sudden I started wondering how car color plays a role in your susceptibility to a front plate ticket (as it most likely does with other tickets).

I disagree though with the bs law accusation, having a front plate does seem like a valid law, for reasons of speed detection, registration confirmation, heck just confirmation from the front that you have plates at all. If I was a cop and saw a vehicle coming towards me with no plate, I would at least be wondering if it's got a rear plate a least, or if it's been totally deplated.

...which brings me to people who leave dealer plates on forever, ergo bypassing the ability to be identified by traffic cams and such. But maybe that's another thread in itself:)

-David

bmussatti 11-29-2006 05:46 AM

I am also running without a front plate. I am not planning to put it on anytime soon, either. Maybe that will change after my first ticket! Oh, well. We'll see.

djomlas 11-29-2006 08:55 AM

see i love the way the box looks w no front plate, but this kinda scares me. when i am coming back from my GFs house on daily bases, around midnight and later...i drive down a street with my radar detector on, and no joke on this street i see on daily bases at least 5-6 cops with radar guns hiding behind bushes, cemetery entrance and other retarted spots, just waiting to pull someone over for something couse in the suburbs thats all that they do...just pull u over and give u BS, so i just figured one less thing for them to pull me over for.

KronixSpeed 11-29-2006 09:18 AM

i didn't put mine back on after the day that i got a ticket because somebody apparently stole it.

dumb ass cop wouldnt believe that it had been stolen or fell off. so he gave me a ticket $100. i havent put it back on since. i think it's been about 2 years now.

i think when i drive by cops they just think that its a rented car. so they don't pull me over.

i got pulled over once entering a car show, and they had cops set-up on your way in. i showed him how the dumb ass bumper plugs don't work well. n lied that i had ordered new ones. he let me go.

second time i was speeding and he pulled me over and was like and how about the licence plate. i took him to the front explained the sitution where the plugs suck. he goes to me, are you always this nice, i'm gonna let you go, have a good day.

hate that ugly plate.

MNBoxster 11-29-2006 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KronixSpeed
... so he gave me a ticket $100. i havent put it back on since. i think it's been about 2 years now.... hate that ugly plate...

Hi,

Justified Scofflaw I presume...?? ;)

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Chills 11-29-2006 09:56 AM

I would really like to take my front plate off. I hate the way it looks and it spoils the lines of the car. But I too feel like I've got a target on my back when I drive around. I got my first speeding ticket a couple of weeks ago (only owned the car 6 weeks) in Naperville. 43 in a 30. So I think I'll keep the front plate on for a little longer. I have friends who never get pulled over for front plates and then some that get pulled over often.

I think after the new year I'll get some bumper plugs and pull off the plate for a few days.... or until my first ticket.

jeffsquire 11-29-2006 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackG
South Carolina doesn't require one.

djomlas 11-29-2006 11:20 AM

thats what bothers me....how come in some states its required and in others its not? its not like we drive worse or whatever the excuse may be that out cars need to look worse w a reflective square with numbers on front.

now, anyone for one of those chain looking licence plate frames and an eagle on top?

jtucker 11-29-2006 01:05 PM

Ive been pulled over...

3 times in the last year for no front plate, once in the Boxster and twice in the BMW. I got by the first two times. The third time in the BMW, I got a ticket. This really torqued me off as my 318ti did not come from the dealer (pre-owned) with front plate. I had to pay $ to get new plates, then find out that my car has a euro bumper with the M package. Not only is there no place to put a front license, there is no way to add it without replaceing the entire bumper. The BMW front license mounts only fit the US bumpers!!! I whined at the traffic DA and she knocked the fine in half at least. I ended up "modding" the bumper so I could put on the plate on and avoid the hassle. Put it on the Box as well using the factory mount. BTW in Texas it is also illegal to use those license plate frames as well if they obscure any of the lettering on the plate (and almost all will with the standard Texas plates)!! They are always trying to make it tough on law abiding citizens.

J. Tucker
'99 Arctic Silver
'98 318ti

djomlas 11-29-2006 02:58 PM

i used that same excuse that my car has no holes and wheni bought it it didnt come with the holes and i was not about to put holes in a bumper for that reason. this is what the cops(yes cops, all of them said the same thing): "take it back to the dealer and have them install it for you"
i never did.
and then 2 days later i get pulled over for the same thing, and i told them that it got stolen, wrote a report and everything actually. then i got pulled over couse my rear licence plate had a clear cover over it, they said that wasnt legal eiher b/c it does not reflect as good, and then they ran the plates and said that my vehicle was reported stolen...idiots, i reported the plate not thec ar stolen, took even longet to sort that out with those slow imbiciles over the phone while they were eating their supersize burgers....
anyways, point of the story, i just put it back on