Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2023, 03:41 PM   #1

Tiny metal bits in oil filter - any cause for concern?

Changed the oil today on a recently acquired '98 2.5 with 102k miles on it. Last oil change was just over 2 years ago (only 1,300 miles). Still learning about the car.

Examined the oil filter and spotted a few (three or four) small metal looking bits. Two look like aluminium and one bronze coloured one. Not sure if ferrous as I don't have a magnet to hand.

Would this be any cause for concern or normal for a 25 year old engine? Engine seems to run OK over the few hundred miles I've had it...

Any insight is appreciated.

Attached Images

somerled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 05:13 PM   #2

Are the bits ferrous, meaning a magnet will pick the up?
Old 08-13-2023, 04:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Are the bits ferrous, meaning a magnet will pick the up?
Found a small magnet and no the metal looking pieces are not magnetic. Picked out everything I could find in the filter. Barely any metal but found a few little brown plastic looking pieces as shown in the photo. Normal for an engine of this age and mileage?
Attached Images

Old 08-13-2023, 05:35 AM   #4

Garage
That's not a lot, the piece that looks like a blob of solder is strange. The brown plastic is likely from the cam chain tensioner pads in the heads, keep an eye on that, they are usually well worn at 100k miles and are ready for replacement. Check or have checked the cam deviations, which gives some idea of the wear on the pads.
You might try reducing the size of your pictures... I usual make mine 1000x750 pixels.
1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)
elgyqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 01:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgyqc View Post
That's not a lot, the piece that looks like a blob of solder is strange. The brown plastic is likely from the cam chain tensioner pads in the heads, keep an eye on that, they are usually well worn at 100k miles and are ready for replacement. Check or have checked the cam deviations, which gives some idea of the wear on the pads.
You might try reducing the size of your pictures... I usual make mine 1000x750 pixels.
Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. I'll be sure to keep an eye on it and inspect the filter during future oil changes. Next time I take it to the shop, I'll ask about the cam deviations. And yes sorry, I'll try to resize photos for future posts.
Old 08-14-2023, 06:44 AM   #6

After my last track day I had a CEL for cam timing, and checked the deviation with Durametric and it is out of spec. I also found lots of plastic bits the same as what you are seeing (along with some flecks of aluminum/non-ferrous metal). I am in the late stages of removing the engine to fix it.
redpepperracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 09:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpepperracing View Post
After my last track day I had a CEL for cam timing, and checked the deviation with Durametric and it is out of spec. I also found lots of plastic bits the same as what you are seeing (along with some flecks of aluminum/non-ferrous metal). I am in the late stages of removing the engine to fix it.
Sorry to hear that. There were not a lot of pieces at all here. And the brown pieces were actually soft/flexible material. I'm not worrying too much but will keep an eye on future oil changes. No CEL light so far etc.
Old 08-14-2023, 10:49 AM   #8

The brown pieces are from the chain guides wearing out and letting the chains get a bit looser. I have a bunch of other stuff I want to do, and all of it will be easier with the engine out. My friend has already done his, so I'm not flying blind.

redpepperracing is offline   Reply With Quote