Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2023, 07:45 AM   #1

Ignition key stuck | A/T with shift lock issue?

Hello,
I acquired a 98 Boxster from an elderly family friend. It has 98K miles and auto transmission. After about a week the ignition key got stuck in ignition, would not return to the 0 position. Most posts on the forum advise to replace the electrical part of the ignition key. In my case it feels more like a mechanical issue and found that the release cable mounted at the front of shifter wasn’t moving when shifting out of Park. I removed the center console and the Automatic Gear Selector Shifter and bench tested the shift lock solenoid. I believe that the solenoid is bad, it isn’t making any movement when supplying 12v. An order for a used shifter assembly has been placed.

#1. Can someone confirm my understanding of the shift lock operation? Is the following correct: with ignition on, shifting from Park to Drive, the solenoid should engage and pull the shift lock cable connecter out, so that the ignition key can’t be removed?

#2. I ordered a replacement ignition switch on Amazon 4A0905849B and found that the top-end of that switch is about 4 mm taller than the original switch, preventing the switch from going in full to be flush with the aluminum housing. Is this a known fitting issue. Can I still use this switch?

#3. After reinstalling the original ignition switch, the key won’t turn from 0 to I position. Is this normal? Battery is disconnected. Does it require power to allow turning the key?

The 12v battery is fully charged and fairly new.

U023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 03:50 PM   #2

For #2 question I found that my year should not have the B version of the switch.
https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/86-ELEC-Ignition_Switch/86-ELEC-Ignition_Switch.htm

Feedback on other questions still welcome.
Old 05-29-2023, 04:21 AM   #3
Registered Member

Can’t comment in your #1 above, as my 986 is a 5 speed.

For your #2, it’s Amazon- you get what you pay for. Return it and get the proper part from sun coast Porsche or FCP Euro.
Old 05-29-2023, 08:37 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcoradeschi View Post
Can’t comment in your #1 above, as my 986 is a 5 speed.

For your #2, it’s Amazon- you get what you pay for. Return it and get the proper part from sun coast Porsche or FCP Euro.
It's quite possible that the ignition mechanism was changed to the upgraded version by a previous owner. That's what happened with mine, and I didn't order my switch from Amazon.
Old 05-29-2023, 12:36 PM   #5

Thanks for the inputs.

My #3 question was a dumb one, just had to turn the steering wheel a bit.

I'm fairly certain my issue is the shift lock solenoid. Played around with the loose end of the cable and believe it operates as described as in #1. Currently waiting for the replacement shifter assembly.

The tutorial 'DIY Upgraded Ignition Switch/Lock Installation for 996/Boxster' by dmcole was really helpful. I missed some details initially. Only outstanding question is that the pinhole near the key insert should be at the 7 o'clock position. Mine is at 11 o'clock. I don't know how to turn it should I have to exchange the entire assembly.

Tags
shift lock , stuck ignition key