Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2006, 02:49 PM   #1

Valentine 1 owners - post your installs!

I have a Valentine 1 from my past car, and I want to install it into my boxster, but I can't find a place to fit it neatly. I have the concealed display kit and the remote volume kit.

What I'd like to do is install the detector itself inside the rear storage compartment, behind the little doors, and then run the display somewhere up front. I know that radar can go through plastic, but I don't know is laser will go through this. I don't want the detector in the open, in case I leave the top down.

Also, I thought about putting the display and remote volume down where the "batwing" piece is in front of the shifter. Has anyone done this?

I'm open to ideas... Thanks for the help!

BluBYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 03:12 PM   #2

Since laser is light, it won't get picked up by the V1 located in the rear storage area. Radar will go through plastic, but there is a lot more between the storage area and the front of the car than plastic. I doubt if you will get good readings.

Ken
Ken Corsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 03:15 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
stick it in ther for a little and drive around, see if it picks anything up or not, just dont speed.
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 03:35 PM   #4

I think ukchris has a pretty cool setup :

Radar/Laser Detectors

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 03:40 PM   #5

Thanks Nick, also for "stealth mode" I put my baseball cap on top of it, you can hardly see it anyway with the roof up but with my cap on it then it's completely hidden.

There are some pictures on RennTech of a Cayenne morror I just did for someone too, 996 in the works for someone else..!

Chris.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:58 PM   #6

ukchris -- it's a nice install, but too easily snatchable. I'd like to keep it out of site, and people will figure out my baseball cap...

Anyone else?
BluBYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 07:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluBYou
ukchris -- it's a nice install, but too easily snatchable. I'd like to keep it out of site, and people will figure out my baseball cap...

Anyone else?
I think you'd be suprised but I know what you mean. There really isn't anywhere else though, there was a guy a while ago used to put them in a black box but it still wasn't that subtle.

I don't think there's a stealthy spot in a convertible, especially not if you want front and rear coverage. I suppose you could install two, one in the trunk brake light and one up front somewhere.