986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Option code 740? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/83373-option-code-740-a.html)

redpepperracing 05-03-2023 06:59 AM

Option code 740?

Hello all,

When I first got my 2000 (well, even before) I tried to decode the options and had no luck. There were only two, C36 and 740, and no sites that I checked listed either code. I guess I went to the wrong sites, because today for some reason I checked again using the decode at kindel dot com I found that C36 is 'Canadian type car' and 740 is 'Exhibition vehicle', which seems to be rare, as I have not seen anybody else post that option code for a Boxster. It does seem to align with the ownership history, as I believe there were 8 dealers listed in the first year of it's life. Other instances I have found of 740 are a small number of 968's and some 997's (although it was called 'Show finish' on those). I assume it was some sort of press car, which again as I understand would have been highly optioned, but mine is the opposite, it has literally no options other than the two I listed, it is extremely bare bones. It also seems that they should not have ever been sold to the public, so can I assume this is a 'rare' car? Has anyone else encountered this?

Starter986 05-03-2023 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpepperracing (Post 652960)
Hello all,

When I first got my 2000 (well, even before) I tried to decode the options and had no luck. There were only two, C36 and 740, and no sites that I checked listed either code. I guess I went to the wrong sites, because today for some reason I checked again using the decode at kindel dot com I found that C36 is 'Canadian type car' and 740 is 'Exhibition vehicle', which seems to be rare, as I have not seen anybody else post that option code for a Boxster. It does seem to align with the ownership history, as I believe there were 8 dealers listed in the first year of it's life. Other instances I have found of 740 are a small number of 968's and some 997's (although it was called 'Show finish' on those). I assume it was some sort of press car, which again as I understand would have been highly optioned, but mine is the opposite, it has literally no options other than the two I listed, it is extremely bare bones. It also seems that they should not have ever been sold to the public, so can I assume this is a 'rare' car? Has anyone else encountered this?

Try this...

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/255517-option-code-740-a.html

:cheers:

redpepperracing 05-04-2023 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starter986 (Post 652973)

Yes, I found that thread in my searching. Still haven't found anyone else with a Boxster code 740. And mine seems to be the exception to the rule that show cars have all of the options. Mine has, literally, no options. No PSM, no cruise, no OBC, no trim upgrades, 16" wheels, I'm not even sure it had a stereo, as the only one I have is aftermarket.

Anyway, as they say, no options means lighter weight!

mikefocke 05-05-2023 05:19 PM

PedrosGarage Porsche Options Code List

husker boxster 05-07-2023 05:35 AM

Your 740 code sounds like the equivalent of the modern day 762 Launch Vehicle code. Today when Porsche comes out with a new model (Cayman in 2006), a .2 version (987.2 in 2009) or, a totally new version of a model (987 to 981 in 2013), they create a batch of Launch Vehicles that are all the same color and options, These cars are meant to be displayed at the dealers and NOT SOLD until the pipeline is filled with product. The idea with not selling them for a perod of time is so customers have something to look at and test drive at the dealership until Porsche can ramp up production on the vehicle. Generally these LVs are loaded up with options since this is a way to get those options in front of a curious crowd.

However, Porsche has been known to make 2 different LVs for a particular model. When the Cayman was intro'd, they had a silver LV that was loaded with options but also had a black LV that was more basic.

Now my "vast knowledge" doesn't go back to 2000, so I could be blowing hot air with your 740 code but it sounds like a similar situation.

JTT99 05-07-2023 10:17 AM

Interesting that the car is a 2000. Back when the Boxster was introduced in 1997 they had a number of no option models all red on black sent to dealers and shows to promote the $39,995 intro sticker price.

redpepperracing 05-10-2023 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTT99 (Post 653066)
Interesting that the car is a 2000. Back when the Boxster was introduced in 1997 they had a number of no option models all red on black sent to dealers and shows to promote the $39,995 intro sticker price.

That definitely sounds like my car, except that it is definitely a 2000. As I said, even the purchase history aligns with that as there are several dealers listed in the first year of it's history, and I think even on one day the owner changed twice to different dealers.

@mikefocke, yes, I know what code 740 is, I'm just curious if anyone else has ever seen it on a Boxster.