Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2023, 02:49 AM   #1

Is there a Three Part "Rattle Can" Spray Paint System for 986 Urethane Bumpers?

Hi.

I am replacing my 1998 style bumper with a 03-05 style bumper on my 986..

I would like to try to shoot the bumper myself. I did this on the front and rear lightweight fiberglass bumpers on my '73 911 and had good results.

But that was fiberglass and the 986 bumpers are urethane.

I found this three part system (primer, paint, clearcoat) in my color code (3AZ) but it doesn't appear to be urethane bumper compatible.

Does anyone know of an equivalent system for urethane materials (bumpers)?

Thanks in advance for any help.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115287960391

Last edited by austinporsche; 04-30-2023 at 02:53 AM.
austinporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 02:16 AM   #2
Registered Member

I have gotten good product from https://www.automotivetouchup.com/
Old 05-01-2023, 04:30 AM   #3

Go to your local auto paint store and they can makeup a spray can of the same paint that they sell to spray out of a gun.
azlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 10:16 AM   #4

Garage
Here is another source:
https://everestautomotivemarket.com/custom-mixed-paint/porsche/porsche-ocean-blue-l3az-l3ay-e1/?variation_id=1004311

Most modern paints can be applied to all properly prepared exterior body parts. Get a 2k clear coat if you want it to last. I was just quoted $350 for a quart of Deltron DBC mixed to match L3AZ (professional quality base coat) from my local PPG dist.
EB_KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 07:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinporsche View Post
I am replacing my 1998 style bumper with a 03-05 style bumper on my 986..

I would like to try to shoot the bumper myself. I did this on the front and rear lightweight fiberglass bumpers on my '73 911 and had good results.
I take it you've ruled out PPF (paint protection film). I've dealt with PPF a bit. It's good for about five years, and then it must be removed and replaced. But nothing offers better protection. When I removed the partially discolored six-year-old PPF from my 986, the paint underneath was flawless. I've never applied the stuff, but it can't be all that difficult. I'm vacillating about doing it.
5-speed manual
LoneWolfGal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 02:23 PM   #6

Go to a real automotive paint supplier. Ask local body shops who they use. They will mix and fill spray cans cheaper than the sites you find online. Buy base coat and Spraymax 2k clearcoat. For a bumper I'd buy 2 cans of each. Scuba the polyurethane bumper with an ajax type cleanser. Wash off all residue apply base coat wet sand if needed then apply the clear. Wear a respirator because the 2K will kill your lungs and make you sick. If you're and good with a spray can and know how to wet sand and buff it works great. Pic's coming

Last edited by JBauer; 05-10-2023 at 02:30 PM.
JBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 02:50 PM   #7

Obviously this isn't a Porsche but same process. This car was an absolute mess. I sanded off the clearcoat painted it with Duplicolor since it was black it was available off the self at AutoZone. Black is probably the easiest color to do but I've done bumpers in Guards red with the same results. I painted the whole car a panel at a time. It's been 3 years and the worse thing that I had to was buff a couple places. Must use 2K clear.

Last edited by JBauer; 05-10-2023 at 02:54 PM.
JBauer is offline   Reply With Quote