986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Engine Out - 996 Intake or Any Performance Mods I Should Consider Now? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/83166-engine-out-996-intake-any-performance-mods-i-should-consider-now.html)

nuvolari 03-25-2023 11:42 AM

Engine Out - 996 Intake or Any Performance Mods I Should Consider Now?

So, my engine is out and getting ready to get back on the project and just wondering what performance mods I should do while engine is out? I've read good things about the 996 intake manifold but I haven't seen any threads about the full process including a complete list of parts needed and all that needs to be done. If anyone knows of a thread or has done the mod, I would love more details about it especially a list of parts. I know I need the runners and associated parts plus a 74mm plenum but I believe there are also lower intake runners that are separate, correct?

My engine is a 2000 3.2L M96.21, so which 996 manifold do I need? I know 3.4 works but is that the only one? Part number?

Also, I would be interested in any other "easy" and relatively inexpensive mod to do while engine is out.

Many thanks.

nuvolari 04-03-2023 12:44 AM

Really? Nothing?

78F350 04-03-2023 06:41 AM

Note: This is the internet and any 12 year old with a smartphone can give you advice. Do your own research before spending money.

I've never done it myself, but I have had two Boxsters with the 996 throttle body. For the 74mm electronic (not cable operated) throttle I think you want this: 99660511501

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1680531945.jpg

The intake comes as upper and lower. The lower part holds the injectors and is metal. You will have to drill and tap holes in the heads to mount it.

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1680532374.jpg

While you are at it, plug this into your favorite search engine: "site:986forum.com 987 air box"

You should probably get a 996 ROW tune for your DME to get it running right.

Then figure out what exhaust manifold you want.

I have all the parts you need for the intake on my garage floor right now, but I don't plan on selling them. I can probably take pics of them if you need it. :cheers:

elgyqc 04-03-2023 10:01 AM

I haven't watched these videos, but they may answer your questions.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWfVwnrgMS0PfJmma0f-NQIuzd8ZKx5xM

mikefocke 04-08-2023 02:31 PM

Is the car for TN or CA and its smog requirements? Makes a difference.

nuvolari 04-08-2023 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 78F350 (Post 652195)
Note: This is the internet and any 12 year old with a smartphone can give you advice. Do your own research before spending money.

I've never done it myself, but I have had two Boxsters with the 996 throttle body. For the 74mm electronic (not cable operated) throttle I think you want this: 99660511501

The intake comes as upper and lower. The lower part holds the injectors and is metal. You will have to drill and tap holes in the heads to mount it.

While you are at it, plug this into your favorite search engine: "site:986forum.com 987 air box"

You should probably get a 996 ROW tune for your DME to get it running right.

Then figure out what exhaust manifold you want.

I have all the parts you need for the intake on my garage floor right now, but I don't plan on selling them. I can probably take pics of them if you need it. :cheers:

Not sure it's worth the trouble because no one has ever posted a thread about it. What's up with Boxster folk? Why don't they post anything? It's so difficult getting info on Boxsters compared to 944's, Alfa Milanos, or VW Sciroccos (my other cars.). And I know hundreds of people have done this mod but is there a single descriptive thread about it? Nope, there is not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by elgyqc (Post 652200)
I haven't watched these videos, but they may answer your questions.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWfVwnrgMS0PfJmma0f-NQIuzd8ZKx5xM

I've watched them in the past but while I enjoy Newart, I have not found the videos very helpful for my needs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikefocke (Post 652329)
Is the car for TN or CA and its smog requirements? Makes a difference.

I want to keep it CA friendly as I really hope to escape TN for good at some point. Can you sense my anger from being in the south for a week? Yup, not my idea of a happy place to live but I have two Porsches to play with and my Alfa Milano is being shipped out so I have enough projects to keep me busy.

I guess the whole point of this thread was whether there were any mods I could do with the engine out that might be beneficial and which people who had been in this position had wished they had done but I guess the answer is no, nothing obvious. Apparently the 996 intake isn't really worth much. And the throttle body enlargement can be done easily with the engine in place and even that isn't clearly beneficial. Oh, well, I'm still miles away from a stock rebuild so I'll be happy just to see this car running again.
And then there's that 6 speed transmission issue.... Argh!
Can't wait til the value of these cars falls into the $1000 range and then maybe I'll be able to afford a crappy Getrag 6 speed transmission!

Starter986 04-09-2023 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nuvolari (Post 652335)
Not sure it's worth the trouble because no one has ever posted a thread about it. What's up with Boxster folk? Why don't they post anything? It's so difficult getting info on Boxsters compared to 944's, Alfa Milanos, or VW Sciroccos (my other cars.). And I know hundreds of people have done this mod but is there a single descriptive thread about it? Nope, there is not.

I've watched them in the past but while I enjoy Newart, I have not found the videos very helpful for my needs.

I want to keep it CA friendly as I really hope to escape TN for good at some point. Can you sense my anger from being in the south for a week? Yup, not my idea of a happy place to live but I have two Porsches to play with and my Alfa Milano is being shipped out so I have enough projects to keep me busy.

I guess the whole point of this thread was whether there were any mods I could do with the engine out that might be beneficial and which people who had been in this position had wished they had done but I guess the answer is no, nothing obvious. Apparently the 996 intake isn't really worth much. And the throttle body enlargement can be done easily with the engine in place and even that isn't clearly beneficial. Oh, well, I'm still miles away from a stock rebuild so I'll be happy just to see this car running again.
And then there's that 6 speed transmission issue.... Argh!
Can't wait til the value of these cars falls into the $1000 range and then maybe I'll be able to afford a crappy Getrag 6 speed transmission!

With all those cars, and so little time to do your own research... why don't you just have your chef find a good mechanic to figure all that **************** out? :cool:

78F350 04-09-2023 04:24 AM

Quote:

... It's so difficult getting info on Boxsters compared to 944's, Alfa Milanos, or VW Sciroccos (my other cars.). And I know hundreds of people have done this mod but is there a single descriptive thread about it? ...

Where do they spoon feed Scirocco info? I plan to go through my '81 later this year after I clear a couple Boxster projects.

Dubaday 04-09-2023 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 78F350 (Post 652341)
Where do they spoon feed Scirocco info?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starter986 (Post 652337)
With all those cars, and so little time to do your own research... why don't you just have your chef find a good mechanic to figure all that **************** out? :cool:

LOL

Quote:

What's up with Boxster folk? Why don't they post anything?

These damn boxster owners :cool::D

nuvolari 04-09-2023 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starter986 (Post 652337)

Why don’t you try posting something helpful? Not here necessarily but in all the threads you constantly peruse and post in….

Quote:

Originally Posted by 78F350 (Post 652341)
Where do they spoon feed Scirocco info? I plan to go through my '81 later this year after I clear a couple Boxster projects.

VWvortex although it might not be as busy as it used to be due to the Facebook ruination of all forums everywhere.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubaday (Post 652342)
LOL

These damn boxster owners :cool::D

Ha ha, you guys are a bit too sensitive! Not trying to offend, just curious why simple engine info is difficult to find while there are hundreds of threads on aesthetically challenged rear spoilers?

Happy Easter to everyone! Hope most of you are revving your engines to the redline on a warm spring day!

NewArt 04-11-2023 04:37 PM

Well, it's really all a system: more air in, more air out; maybe a bit more power once you get the tune done! So: 987 airbox; 987 MAF; bigger tubes; bigger TB; 996 manifolds; low resistance exhaust system; and a tune after running a baseline pull. I might have missed some of this stuff in my videos, oh well... :rolleyes:
Have fun, it'll put a smile on your face! -NewArt

ike84 04-11-2023 05:38 PM

Lari, you've got quite an attitude for someone who's asking for well established forum mebers to regurgitate information that could be found using the search button

Here's the deal - 986s werent made made to be tinkered with. Simple as that. If you spend time learning the system (both mechanical and ecu) then you'll realize that.

There have absolutely been guys who have done these types intake and exhaust mods. And they have been well documented. Two of us have done 82mm TB with short ram intakes and written about it. At least one has installed the 996 intake runners and documented it. FI systems have been done and documented. Engine swaps have been done and documented.

Here's the thing though - THEYRE ALL CUSTOM JOBS. The m96 not a k series, it was never meant to be, and if you want to make the progress then you've got to do your homework and be creative. If you want a k series to play with, I'm sure you know where to find one.

Btw, leave starter alone. He's that crabby uncle that has his moments - the party just wouldn't be the same without him (hey buddy!)

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

nuvolari 04-11-2023 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewArt (Post 652448)
Well, it's really all a system: more air in, more air out; maybe a bit more power once you get the tune done! So: 987 airbox; 987 MAF; bigger tubes; bigger TB; 996 manifolds; low resistance exhaust system; and a tune after running a baseline pull. I might have missed some of this stuff in my videos, oh well... :rolleyes:
Have fun, it'll put a smile on your face! -NewArt

Hey, I just watched the first 2 videos of your 987 airbox series and I found it very helpful and interesting. Sorry for the previous comment above; I was thinking of a different person's videos. I'll watch the rest when I can but for now I wonder if you know the part number of the airbox you used?
Also, how much was the ECU flash? And was it difficult to find a dealer to do it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ike84 (Post 652449)
Lari, you've got quite an attitude for someone who's asking for well established forum mebers to regurgitate information that could be found using the search button

Here's the deal - 986s werent made made to be tinkered with. Simple as that. If you spend time learning the system (both mechanical and ecu) then you'll realize that.

There have absolutely been guys who have done these types intake and exhaust mods. And they have been well documented. Two of us have done 82mm TB with short ram intakes and written about it. At least one has installed the 996 intake runners and documented it. FI systems have been done and documented. Engine swaps have been done and documented.

Here's the thing though - THEYRE ALL CUSTOM JOBS. The m96 not a k series, it was never meant to be, and if you want to make the progress then you've got to do your homework and be creative. If you want a k series to play with, I'm sure you know where to find one.

Btw, leave starter alone. He's that crabby uncle that has his moments - the party just wouldn't be the same without him (hey buddy!)

Well, I have searched and not found any kind of in-depth informative thread about air intake mods which is mostly what I was asking about. I also left the door open for any engine out mod that might be beneficial. Apparently there's not much to be gained, but you're the first person so far to even tell me that! I would even go so far as to ask for any mod that's worthwhile while the engine is out, not just for more power but for longevity, reliability, better cooling, etc. Because I'm just guessing here but I'd say there's about a 90% chance once I get this engine back together and spinning, I'll come across a bunch of things I should have done while the engine is out. Plenty of people have had their engines out, it's probably the most often removed engine in the entire Porsche kingdom, so I figured there would be plenty of info and responses about this subject.

Anyway, I do appreciate the comments; well, most of them. And even starter can post what he wants but I'll respond as it's about time someone did! That guy has been living a charmed life on here, ha ha. But I have to say, he has me going back and forth between anger and humor and for that, I compliment him! Well done, sir!

And, thanks, Ike for bringing it all together and thanks to Newart for working on 986's in Canada's winter while making videos of it all!

Starter986 04-12-2023 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nuvolari (Post 652455)
Hey, I just watched the first 2 videos of your 987 airbox series and I found it very helpful and interesting. Sorry for the previous comment above; I was thinking of a different person's videos. I'll watch the rest when I can but for now I wonder if you know the part number of the airbox you used?
Also, how much was the ECU flash? And was it difficult to find a dealer to do it?

Well, I have searched and not found any kind of in-depth informative thread about air intake mods which is mostly what I was asking about. I also left the door open for any engine out mod that might be beneficial. Apparently there's not much to be gained, but you're the first person so far to even tell me that! I would even go so far as to ask for any mod that's worthwhile while the engine is out, not just for more power but for longevity, reliability, better cooling, etc. Because I'm just guessing here but I'd say there's about a 90% chance once I get this engine back together and spinning, I'll come across a bunch of things I should have done while the engine is out. Plenty of people have had their engines out, it's probably the most often removed engine in the entire Porsche kingdom, so I figured there would be plenty of info and responses about this subject.

Anyway, I do appreciate the comments; well, most of them. And even starter can post what he wants but I'll respond as it's about time someone did! That guy has been living a charmed life on here, ha ha. But I have to say, he has me going back and forth between anger and humor and for that, I compliment him! Well done, sir!

And, thanks, Ike for bringing it all together and thanks to Newart for working on 986's in Canada's winter while making videos of it all!

Lol. Those that know me know I can be sharp before 5A,. However, most is in jest... sarcasm, and only because we have a great bunch of people here. I'll offer up assistance when it's about something for which I'm familiar... and only because I learned about my car from this forum (and other light reading).

Did your chef find a mechanic for you? :D

nuvolari 04-12-2023 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starter986 (Post 652456)
Lol. Those that know me know I can be sharp before 5A,. However, most is in jest... sarcasm, and only because we have a great bunch of people here. I'll offer up assistance when it's about something for which I'm familiar... and only because I learned about my car from this forum (and other light reading).

Did your chef find a mechanic for you? :D

Ha, no worries, i come off a lot gruffer than i am so no harm done.

And i really need a new chef; not only is he worthless at a good hollendaise sauce, he drives a Prius!
Now auditioning a combo gourmet chef/Porsche mechanic.

Oh, and all of my cars put together are probably less valuable than most people’s single car but i love them all and with five semi reliable cars, I’m never left walking!
(Ok, that’s not true; i actually am at this very moment….)

And a grateful thanks to all the good people who brought my thread back around to helpful and comedic!
😁

Gilles 04-12-2023 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nuvolari (Post 652461)
Now auditioning a combo gourmet chef/Porsche mechanic. 😁

Nuvolari, I am not a gourmet chef but I know how to cook and currently unemployed (and looking for a job..) Also I like to work on cars, have experience with air cooled VW's, Fiat's (X1/9's), Alfa Romeo's, 987CS, 981CS, and a brief encounter with a 986 :p

My previous experience is from the aerospace industry, but now I am open to more options (as suggested by my wife) ..LOL

nuvolari 04-12-2023 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gilles (Post 652465)
Nuvolari, I am not a gourmet chef but I know how to cook and currently unemployed (and looking for a job..) Also I like to work on cars, have experience with air cooled VW's, Fiat's (X1/9's), Alfa Romeo's, 987CS, 981CS, and a brief encounter with a 986 :p

My previous experience is from the aerospace industry, but now I am open to more options (as suggested by my wife) ..LOL

Sorry, that was satirical.

And I'm no longer in LA.

And I like to cook. And work on cars.

And, most of all, I'm poor!

NewArt 04-12-2023 05:40 PM

The dealer won't do the tune. Well, they might do a 996 or an anniversary tune IDK. There are several aftermarket companies that do various types of tunes. You need to research this and decide. Is it all worthwhile? Jury's out.

nuvolari 04-12-2023 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewArt (Post 652475)
The dealer won't do the tune. Well, they might do a 996 or an anniversary tune IDK. There are several aftermarket companies that do various types of tunes. You need to research this and decide. Is it all worthwhile? Jury's out.

Well you know it all comes down to how much. So how much does it cost?

ike84 04-12-2023 06:53 PM

Lari, I think your question about the longevity repairs is a very good question. If mine were out, there's a list of stuff I'd do just because. This is just my list but here goes

Replace the crankcase breather valve. It's a cheap part and may be responsible for most aos failures. 5 min with the engine out, 90 min with it still in.

Replace the cam wear pads. Not easy with the motor out, but damn near impossible with the motor in (and probably responsible for as much if not more heartache than the ims has ever caused)

Ims replacement... Im not going there

Replace spark plug tubes. Just do it. Again a 5 min job with engine out, royal pain with it in.

Get rid of all the **************** thermal padding in the engine bay and replace it with something respectable.

Some might suggest (depending on mileage) to dig into the top end and replace lifter springs. I forget the guy who detailed these issues (someone help me here - not raby or l&n, but a big Indy who does a lot of M96 work and has an awesome web page on this topic. I wanna say he's in Atlanta?). Not super common but I recall a thread detailing that issue.

Remove intake runners and paint them candy red....

I'll stop there.

Btw, I didn't say the intake mods weren't worthwhile. I have not dynoed mine but my LTFT run -17% on a stock 996 mk1 3.4 tune. If power is linear to fuel consumption (and my afrs are spot on), thats 250ish hp. THATS A VERY REAL POWER BUMP (and it does drive like it). If anyone has a stock 3.2 in SW Minnesota and wants to try a 0-100 sprint to test that out I'm certainly game ;).

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk