986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   About to buy seats, Need advice (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/8314-about-buy-seats-need-advice.html)

boggtown 11-23-2006 07:06 PM

About to buy seats, Need advice

I am thinking about buying these seats. Should I? I can get the set (both) for $300!! They are on sale at a local shop so no shipping or anything. And do you think anyone would buy my old seats? Also, will the airbag light come on or how can I avoid that?

RandallNeighbour 11-23-2006 07:33 PM

If you've sat in them and they're comfortable, you can't beat that price.

Unplug your negative battery terminal for fifteen minutes or so and then get to the install and you will not have an airbag light. The install is four bolts per seat plus unhooking the wiring harness. 20 minutes tops.

And yes, you're old seats are worth quite a lot on eBay. You should get nearly a grand for them if they are in excellent condition and you don't charge an arm and a leg for shipping. LA Dismantlers charges a lot more for seats in great condition.

boggtown 11-23-2006 07:50 PM

Thanks Randall, yes they are very comfortable. I guess the question now is, who wants to buy some used grey seats. They are in what I consider good shape (and by good I mean minor flaws, excellent would be new condition). My GF is only 95lbs so the passenger seat is in great shape besides the fact I think the previous owner was a business man and set his breifcase in that seat so there is a scratch mark on it. The driver seat is perfect besides the side bolster is a worn.

boggtown 11-25-2006 09:09 AM

Any one know where I can get adapters or installation hardware? These are universal seats so they only have 4 holes in the bottom. I am thinking of emailing the guy who sells GT3 seats on ebay and asking how the GT3 seats attach to the car and if the GT3 seat has 4 holes in the bottom of it then I can just buy the sliders from him.

Perfectlap 11-25-2006 09:35 AM

I would encourage you NOT to buy those seats. Racing seats must pass FIA standards which are the most minimal you can imagine. The majority of seats made by Sparco and Momo are CRAP. And non-big name seats don't even meet those lowly standards. A seat is a piece of safety equipment. Most are made of low grade aluminum that can bend like a soda can. If you have a run in with an SUV driven by a bimbette talking on a cell phone, you want a seat that is going to keep you and your passenger from being ejected from the floor board.

If you would like the racing seat look in a non-raced car either get the GT3 seats (and hold onto your old seats when you sell the car) or look at other models from Recaro and Cobra. Ideally the seat should be made of kevlar, I believe the Suzuka model from Cobra is the lowest kevlar seat. Recaro also makes some nice looking leather models from some Rennlist sponsors. Check the 911 board.

Seats are not an area you should be going with budget options.

Jeph 11-25-2006 09:26 PM

Perfectlap is just messing with you... you'll be fine with those seats... besides, I need your old ones! (kidding about Perfectlap's comments)

Would you sell just 1 of your seats (the driver seat)? Are they power seats? Drop me a PM if you'd like.

blinkwatt 11-25-2006 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boggtown
I am thinking about buying these seats. Should I? I can get the set (both) for $300!!

Boggtown please tell me that you are buying them in a different color combination.

boggtown 11-25-2006 09:42 PM

Thats the only color they have, kinda SOL I know. Im also looking at some corbeau seats, they are 300 a seat, but itd be nice to pick everything. http://www.soloperformance.com/ShoppingCart/tabid/22/productName/FX1+Fixed+Back+Seat/selection/0/Default.aspx
I am thinking about those, what color combo though? All black?

blinkwatt 11-25-2006 09:51 PM

Quote:

I would do all black or a black & grey combination so that way the seats don't look out of place. Honestly though,the OEM seats are actually nice,what makes you want to upgrade them?

boggtown 11-25-2006 09:59 PM

I am going to track it in summer probably. But the main reason I am even considering new seats, is because of my girlfriend. She is 95 pounds and a ballerina and the seats are not supportive enough and she slides around in them. What makes her happy makes me happy, and when she stops complaining I throw her around all the time because of the seats, I can drive even faster now, lol.

blinkwatt 11-25-2006 10:03 PM

Quote:

She is 95 pounds and a ballerina and the seats are not supportive enough and she slides around in them.

I have my little sisters in my car often,50-80 pounds w/o a single issue. Perhaps you should just slow down in your turns.

boggtown 11-25-2006 10:30 PM

"Perhaps you should just slow down in your turns."

Whats the fun in that? But ive told her to deal with it, but she just wants new seats so badly.

Boxtaboy 11-26-2006 02:17 PM

I would keep your old seats if possible, as when you sell your car, invariably, you'll get a buyer who doesn't like sport/racing seats, and prefers OEM.

djomlas 11-26-2006 02:24 PM

a child seat maybe :)

but on a serious note, be careful with cheap seats...nothing to play around with

boggtown 11-26-2006 03:38 PM

My plan is to get an 02 911 in X amount of years, So I will swap everything out when I sell it (wheels, seats, bumper, sideskirts, short shift, stuff like that)

boggtown 11-26-2006 03:56 PM

http://www.corbeau.com/products/forza/forza.shtml

I have decided on these seats, They seem like the best cheap seats out there, even Todd has the FX1's (hes been a huge help). All I need to do is sell mine.

Franco 11-27-2006 06:53 PM

Quote:

http://www.corbeau.com/products/forza/forza.shtml

I have decided on these seats, They seem like the best cheap seats out there, even Todd has the FX1's (hes been a huge help). All I need to do is sell mine.

Hi, Before buying I'd ask if the seats won't deteriorate with to much sun or get to hot
then your really gonna get some serious nagging :D :D

djomlas 11-27-2006 09:19 PM

that color u gonn get?

boggtown 11-28-2006 06:02 AM

Ya, all black. Its the most neutral.