Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2023, 10:34 AM   #1

What to use to lubricate seat rails

I just bought a 2004 Boxster S special edition with 35K miles back in October, and only got a little driving in before putting it away for the winter. It was owned by an older gentleman in LA since 2006, and while he got the oil changed regularly, there are lots of other maintenance items to catch up on (transmission fluid, new IMS/RMS/clutch, clean and waterproof top, new shocks, new rotors/pads/fluid). Additionally, I don't think he ever moved the seats in the years he owned it, so trying to slide them forward and back is pretty tough.

It seems like taking the seats out is pretty straightforward, but if anyone has hints, I am all ears. Any recommendations on what lubricant to use? Any other maintenance items to consider?

s_wilwerding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 11:26 AM   #2

I'm pondering the same issue right now. I'm thinking of either using the Superlube Synthetic Multipurpose Grease or a white lithium grease. Both of these greases tend to stay where they're applied.
Bush Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 11:43 AM   #3

Do not have your key in the ignition while removing the seats.
It will throw an airbag light and code.
Then you will need a Durametric or Porsche specific scanner to remove the code and turn off the light.
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 01:21 PM   #4

We like to use DuPont dry Teflon spray, which leaves a completely dry, non-sticky surface but provides excellent sliding lubrication.
Old 03-18-2023, 05:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Do not have your key in the ignition while removing the seats.
It will throw an airbag light and code.
Then you will need a Durametric or Porsche specific scanner to remove the code and turn off the light.
So true.

I learned this the hard way. I had had my Box a couple years when the alternator went bad on me. Other than oil changes, this was my first DIY on the car. Figured out how to get to the thing (having removed the passenger seat to improve access), got it out (with some major wrangling!) and took it to an automotive electric service place to have it rebuilt. Crusty old place, had been in business for many decades, had all kinds of alternators of varying ages and varying degree of disassembly sitting around on every horizontal surface—some I swear had simply become abandoned projects, now permanent ornaments where ever they happened to be.

Anyway, they rebuilt mine and did a bang up job for me. But I now had an airbag light & code that I couldn't remedy with my cheapo little Actron scanner. So I took it to the local Porsche dealership who did an "airbag check and servicing" or whatever they called it. So, after having spent $95 to have the alternator serviced, I had to fork over $100 to Porsche to basically turn off the idiot light for me.

So, for future reference, to avoid this all you have to do is not have the key in the ignition? I sorta assumed one would need to disconnect the battery..
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 06:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
So true.

I learned this the hard way. I had had my Box a couple years when the alternator went bad on me. Other than oil changes, this was my first DIY on the car. Figured out how to get to the thing (having removed the passenger seat to improve access), got it out (with some major wrangling!) and took it to an automotive electric service place to have it rebuilt. Crusty old place, had been in business for many decades, had all kinds of alternators of varying ages and varying degree of disassembly sitting around on every horizontal surface—some I swear had simply become abandoned projects, now permanent ornaments where ever they happened to be.

Anyway, they rebuilt mine and did a bang up job for me. But I now had an airbag light & code that I couldn't remedy with my cheapo little Actron scanner. So I took it to the local Porsche dealership who did an "airbag check and servicing" or whatever they called it. So, after having spent $95 to have the alternator serviced, I had to fork over $100 to Porsche to basically turn off the idiot light for me.

So, for future reference, to avoid this all you have to do is not have the key in the ignition? I sorta assumed one would need to disconnect the battery..
Frodo,
It is best to disconnect the battery when your going to work on any part of the car that includes an electrical circuit. Eliminates the chance of creating a short to ground.
But for seat removal you can get by with just not having the key in the ignition.
No codes no lights

blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote