986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   intake removal ..help please (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/83124-intake-removal-help-please.html)

jaimster 03-11-2023 05:28 PM

intake removal ..help please

I was trying to replace the temperature coolant sensor so I started removing / disconnecting things from the top left side of the engine NOT sure now if that was smart !!!!

read somewhere else that could have been done from under the car - NOW I'm stuck think I should replace the intake manifold gaskets at least from the left ..since its loose from the base just won't come up loose..

how in the world can you get the manifold out there is a hose that runs across the base and what else should be remove a fuel rail ???

any help appreciated

78F350 03-12-2023 04:31 AM

The way I read your post, something is not making sense. Lets start by identifying exactly what you are replacing, then we can figure out the best way to put it where it goes.

Look at this Pelican Parts Tech Article: https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/26-FUEL-Engine_Sensors/26-FUEL-Engine_Sensors.htm

The coolant temp sensor goes on the "belt" side (front) of the engine and does not require removal of the intake.

The oil temp & level sensor has a long probe attached and *does* go on top of the engine under the intake.

Answer me that and we can proceed if you still need help.

78F350 03-12-2023 04:43 AM

Note: if you have unbolted the intake manifold from the block, it probably won't need a new gasket. They have rubber seals that are reuseable as long as they are in decent shape. It does NOT require any sealant to put them back on. The long plastic tube that runs across and through the intake manifold is a vent from the AOS to the PCV valve breather,. While you are there, take a look at the tube to inspect it for cracks. They often become brittle and a crack can cause problems related to an AOS failure.

jaimster 03-13-2023 05:34 AM

sorry for not describing clearly what I m dealing with :

one of the issue - lost connection to the temperature coolant sensor . ( temperature gauge light flashing )

for some reason or you tube video
I thought it would be underneath the intake , so I started disconnecting / unbolting the intake ran into the NOT been able to just pull that out due to hose running across the bottom of the intake base
turns out all the work was not needed like I said sensor is located underneath the engine - replaced sensor ( just need to fix the plug ) .

original issue - car has HARD START ..hopefully the new coolant sensor would solve that issue and the start can start with issues

I assembled everything back together yesterday was never able to figure out how to pull that driver side intake so I just used old gasket ..

QUESTION REMAINS : procedure to remove the intake in case I ever need to do it . I have service manual from BENTLY however have not been able to find a procedure on that
do you remove the fuel injector rails first ????

Bush Pilot 03-13-2023 11:04 AM

There's at least one video online for removing the intake. I recommend taking a look at those. I was able to do what I needed to by removing the pipe from MAF sensor to the intake and then loosening up the intake manifold tube and rotating it up and out of the way enough to do what had to be done, namely; replacing the driver's side knock sensor and harness.

tcoradeschi 03-14-2023 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaimster (Post 651730)
sorry for not describing clearly what I m dealing with :

one of the issue - lost connection to the temperature coolant sensor . ( temperature gauge light flashing )

for some reason or you tube video
I thought it would be underneath the intake , so I started disconnecting / unbolting the intake ran into the NOT been able to just pull that out due to hose running across the bottom of the intake base
turns out all the work was not needed like I said sensor is located underneath the engine - replaced sensor ( just need to fix the plug ) .

original issue - car has HARD START ..hopefully the new coolant sensor would solve that issue and the start can start with issues

I assembled everything back together yesterday was never able to figure out how to pull that driver side intake so I just used old gasket ..

QUESTION REMAINS : procedure to remove the intake in case I ever need to do it . I have service manual from BENTLY however have not been able to find a procedure on that
do you remove the fuel injector rails first ????

If you want to remove the intakes (for whatever reason), start by reading your Bentley more carefully. All the information is in there.

The fact that you didn’t use the manual to locate the temp sensor in the first place is concerning. The fact that you thought that a flashing temp warning light indicates a bad temp sensor is also concerning.*

To be blunt, if you don’t understand the instructions, then maybe the job is over your head, and you need to accept that.

*Flashing temp light indicates low coolant level. You don’t even need the Bentley to learn that, the info is in the owner’s manual.

Bush Pilot 03-16-2023 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcoradeschi (Post 651747)
If you want to remove the intakes (for whatever reason), start by reading your Bentley more carefully. All the information is in there.

The fact that you didn’t use the manual to locate the temp sensor in the first place is concerning. The fact that you thought that a flashing temp warning light indicates a bad temp sensor is also concerning.*

To be blunt, if you don’t understand the instructions, then maybe the job is over your head, and you need to accept that.

*Flashing temp light indicates low coolant level. You don’t even need the Bentley to learn that, the info is in the owner’s manual.

To be fair, I don't see instructions in the Bentley for the intake removal while the engine is in the car either.