Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2006, 06:41 AM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to iJeremy
IA Forced Induction Friday Sale!

For you 2.5 and 3.2S owners that need a little more power: How about an ImagineAuto supercharger upgrade?

For one day only (Friday after thanksgiving) we are offering blow-out pricing on our 986 Boxster 2.5 and Boxster S 3.2 Supercharger Kits. The largest forces in the industry have teamed up to bring you a Supercharger kit that increases your Boxster horsepower from 150RWHP to 230RWHP for the 2.5L and 215RWHP to 285RWHP for the 3.2L

Save thousands over retail pricing with the Boxster 2.5 kit at only $5995.00 and the 3.2 kit for just 6495.00. Call Friday to save serious cash and transform your boxster.

(913)-310-9927

iJeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 07:32 AM   #2
boggtown

Is this installed or just the parts?
Old 11-22-2006, 08:15 AM   #3

Im sure thats just the kit.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggtown
Is this installed or just the parts?
Just the kit. Install is typically around 15 hours.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:53 AM   #5

Nice price on the kit... Now can you make it quit raining here so I can drive.

3.6, SC 'er and other parts for sale
JP-s-in st. louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 02:30 PM   #6

Lemme get this straight, though.....

The Boxster engine has 11.0:1 compression. The supercharger is not intercooled. About the only thing keeping the engine from destroying itself is a pair of extra fuel injectors? Is the ignition timing backed off under boost (i.e. does the DME get reflashed)?

The Boxster engine just wasn't designed for boost, IMO........
Rodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 03:07 PM   #7

Yeah your right. Oh wait a minute , no your not.
Old 11-22-2006, 03:26 PM   #8

Matt, you better start splainin' yourself with that comment. "no you're not right" don't cut it for me.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 03:38 PM   #9

Im just so tired of hearing the car isnt designed for boost. Im on my second car that wasnt designed for boost and went through the same thing on the last one. It just cant be done, the cars gonna blow, blah blah. Your ride in my car is all the explaining I need to do. How long do I have to drive my supercharged Boxster before people will say it can be done? 1 year , 2 years, 3 years how many miles? It just gets old thats all. Besides, IA flashes the DME and provides larger njectors I think. I cant really remark on IA's kit and dont feel like reading the web site. 5 PSI doesnt need an intercooler my car doesnt detonate.
Old 11-22-2006, 03:43 PM   #10

Thank you Matt. I knew this but I wanted an SC'd boxster owner to type it out for everyone.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 03:50 PM   #11
boggtown

I agree ohio, but id still ask for an intercooler and a cryo-gen system for Xmas (dont know exact name, but its a liquid nitrogen system which drastically reduces intake temp. from like 80 to 32 F)
Old 11-22-2006, 03:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggtown
I agree ohio, but id still ask for an intercooler and a cryo-gen system for Xmas (dont know exact name, but its a liquid nitrogen system which drastically reduces intake temp. from like 80 to 32 F)
Im still thinking of atleast alcohol injection but my car has no detonation at only 5psi and its heck of alot different than stock. The only problem is I've become famaliar to the boost.
Old 11-22-2006, 06:38 PM   #13

Anyone know how much this kit is priced normally?
Nick-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 08:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioboxster
Im still thinking of atleast alcohol injection but my car has no detonation at only 5psi and its heck of alot different than stock. The only problem is I've become famaliar to the boost.
Hp is addicting and you'll never get enough. Case in point, C6 z06 owners are calling me wanting more power even though they have 505hp stock in a 3,100 lb car.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 02:00 AM   #15

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
@ Ohio,

Hey I know that your not worried about your engine blowing and so on,but here is some food for thought since you like to upgrade your car;
The Boxster "S" oil cooler fits on the base boxsters w/o a problem. It is almost 50% larger then the base boxster's;which allows it to cool larger quantities of oil faster. It's not much for parts(oil cooler and washers) $125,and I hear it's about 1-2hour D.I.Y. Don't expect a durastic change in daily driving,but on the track people note the car runs considerably cooler.(You have to drain coolant and refill it,I don't know how much that cost)

Just some food for thought! I will surely be doing this when I change my headers and exhaust(haven't decided which route to go yet).

Last edited by blinkwatt; 11-23-2006 at 02:06 AM.
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 02:38 AM   #16

I checked out their website (which I'm surprised they didn't link to here). It's good they use resized injectors and a reflashed DME map. Anyone know what the life expectancy of the supercharger is? I recall a centrifugal kit made for Honda Civics that only lasted about 50,000 miles before it would need new bearings.

Also, any idea what the intake charge temperatures are?
Rodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 03:51 AM   #17

Blinkwatt
Thats awsome it would make a great project and Im going to look into it. No, I dont worry about my car blowing up. There are some on this site that have non-superchared guys afraid to even drive thier cars. Some are even selling thier sweet rides because they are afraid of what might happen, please. Im always trying to think about how to keep the oil and water cooler, great info thanks.
Schnell,
I dont remember the Honda kit but the roots type like on my car is the same one used on several different factory models. Its an M-62 Eaton which is supposed to have the oil changed every 30k miles and the bearing rebuild kit is like 100 bucks or so. Im not thinking that I will even have to rebuild mine. I think the Boxster wont have a detonation problem until it goes over 7-8 psi. I read the air intake temp charge somewhere but I cant remember what the number was. I sat in traffic last night for over 45 minutes at idle on the x-way and didnt have any problems. I do run a little hotter than it used to be. My needle sits about 3/16 of an inch above the 180 mark. I know its not accurate but Im just pointing out that it used to be right on 180.
Old 11-23-2006, 04:03 AM   #18

Schnell!:
"Anyone know what the life expectancy of the supercharger is?"

Not just the supercharger but the whole engine. This would be my major concern when considering mods that signifficantly change loads, strains, pressures, and temperatures across the engine. How would these changes affect the engine over time? I don't know enough to judge what's reasonable but I would think factory engines go through a lot of testing before a final design is put into production. It is unreasonable to expect that most after-market shops would even come close to approaching the same testing standards. That's why a crate engine drop always looks more appealing (to me).

I wonder why the Mini S gave up the supercharger for their 07 models in favor of a turbo (no sarcasm meant at all).

Z.
Old 11-23-2006, 04:11 AM   #19

I wonder why the Mini S gave up the supercharger for their 07 models in favor of a turbo (no sarcasm meant at all).

Boost is boost, turbos and SC units compress air. Mercedes CL55 has a supercharger, you ever drive one of those, nice. I think the argument is going to be that the turbo was more efficient it made like 8-12 more hp. To each his own, I would'nt think waiting for the turbo to spool up would be a bonus on the Box because the bottom end is dead on our cars. With the SC the boost comes on fast when you nail it.
Old 11-23-2006, 04:27 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioboxster

Boost is boost, turbos and SC units compress air. Mercedes CL55 has a supercharger, you ever drive one of those, nice. I think the argument is going to be that the turbo was more efficient it made like 8-12 more hp. To each his own, I would'nt think waiting for the turbo to spool up would be a bonus on the Box because the bottom end is dead on our cars. With the SC the boost comes on fast when you nail it.
Ohio, sorry, didn't mean to rain on your parade. You obviously know more about this stuff and are way more handy with these mods that I will ever hope to become. I was just expressing a genuine concern about differences in factory vs after-market testing rigor -- warranted or not. I am convinced that you are happy with your conversion and are enjoying the hell out of your SC Box, and that's all that matters. Happy Thanksgiving!

Z.