986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Water behind the driver's seat.. Weird case (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/82957-water-behind-drivers-seat-weird-case.html)

Keatn84 02-07-2023 01:01 PM

Water behind the driver's seat.. Weird case

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here. Just bought 1998 2.5 986.

Before you all slap me in head and send out to read existing threads. Just FYI I did my homework.. All 6 drain holes checked.
Door bottoms checked. And the best part is water gets there even now on dry days.. Was thinking maybe coolant. But I'm not loosing it in the reservoir level indicator.. Level of coolant remain the same.. I can feel water gathering in the very corners of each side behind the seats.. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Marcin

elgyqc 02-07-2023 03:44 PM

Behind the seats could be from the a rip in the foam liner that drains water into the rear drain holes. Also could be around the window. When I patched my rear window it was not properly sealed so water dripped onto the carpet near the roll-bar then worked its way down to the floor.

seningen 02-08-2023 07:06 AM

One trick to use is put some dry food coloring of different colors in a couple likely spots -- and hose down the car -- you can then look to see what color the water is.

barkinfool 02-08-2023 03:53 PM

I'm betting on a rip in drain trays under the top. Good luck & let us know what you find.

tommy583 02-17-2023 09:55 AM

Are you sure it is getting wet on dry days? There is a lot of foam under the carpet. It takes a long time to dry out, like a long time. I've heard of guys taking the whole carpet out of the car and laying it in the sun for days before it actually totally dries.

If the drains are clear the next thing I would look at is the foam trays leading to the drains.

jamesmartin986 02-17-2023 01:08 PM

Have you checked to see if the small plastic gutter that clips along the back (used to drain water either left or right into the foam drains) hasn't unclipped? If it has, any water will seep behind the seats.

bobaachaar 03-01-2023 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barkinfool (Post 650883)
I'm betting on a rip in drain trays under the top. Good luck & let us know what you find.

how do you fix the drain trays if they’re ripped?

Starter986 03-01-2023 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobaachaar (Post 651417)
how do you fix the drain trays if they’re ripped?

Thank you for the reminder. I've had "black caulk" on my list for weeks. SoCal weather has been favorable with the exception of snow and rain recently. Anyhow...

If the rips are too large, consider a replacement. If it is a slight perforation or tear... you might consider caulking it. I believe there is/are thread(s) upon this forum that may describe the process.

I'll be doing some reading myself, so that I purchase the proper product. Cheers.

:cheers:

elgyqc 03-02-2023 07:50 PM

I used "Goop" and a piece of clear plastic for a patch. Seems to be working a few years later. There may be a better adhesive, those trays are really fragile and as I remember they are expensive for what they are.

Paul 03-08-2023 05:23 PM

I used the brush on version of black Flex Seal to coat the entire foam areas.