Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2023, 08:27 PM   #1

Weird rev hold/hang issue with my Boxster

I've had this car for a while now and recently the revs have been acting weird. When I blip the gas peddle (as if I were to downshift) The revs jump up and stay where they are for a couple seconds, then drop.
This issue is very inconsistent and happens randomly. The first time it happens during a drive, it will hold for a much longer period of time (doesn't matter if I'm in gear, maybe 6 seconds ish)
I've included 2 YouTube links of me showing the issue (one of the videos has the camera cut off for a little but then it shows it)

Video 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmIWE9vrV-s
Video 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ia-FDGt3BVw

Side note: How do I fix the screen in the middle of my gauge cluster that is blank it looks like it is melted.

986mane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 11:08 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986mane View Post
I've had this car for a while now and recently the revs have been acting weird. When I blip the gas peddle (as if I were to downshift) The revs jump up and stay where they are for a couple seconds, then drop.
This issue is very inconsistent and happens randomly. The first time it happens during a drive, it will hold for a much longer period of time (doesn't matter if I'm in gear, maybe 6 seconds ish)
I've included 2 YouTube links of me showing the issue (one of the videos has the camera cut off for a little but then it shows it)

Video 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmIWE9vrV-s
Video 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ia-FDGt3BVw

Side note: How do I fix the screen in the middle of my gauge cluster that is blank it looks like it is melted.
What years is the car?
How many miles?
Have you done any kind of work on it recently?
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 08:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
What years is the car?
How many miles?
Have you done any kind of work on it recently?
I can't see the mileage because the screen is melted. But it's over 150,000 miles for sure.
It's a 2004 Boxster and the only work done recently was I replaced the OEM shifter and installed a custom muffler but the problem started before I changed the muffler.
Old 01-31-2023, 05:21 AM   #4

Quote:
I can't see the mileage because the screen is melted. But it's over 150,000 miles for sure.
It's a 2004 Boxster and the only work done recently was I replaced the OEM shifter and installed a custom muffler but the problem started before I changed the muffler.
With that many miles I would be looking towards the MAF sensor as the possible cause of your issue.
Also a vacuum leak can create the same issue.
You also have e-gas which is electronic throttle.
So if you have disconnected your battery or had a dead battery you need to recalibrate you throttle.

Last edited by blue62; 01-31-2023 at 05:23 AM.
Old 01-31-2023, 01:40 PM   #5

maybe Clean the throttle body -- the throttle plate might just be sticking.
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 02:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
With that many miles I would be looking towards the MAF sensor as the possible cause of your issue.
Also a vacuum leak can create the same issue.
You also have e-gas which is electronic throttle.
So if you have disconnected your battery or had a dead battery you need to recalibrate you throttle.
Thanks I valeted the car and the valet driver left the lights on and windows down I got to the car it was dead. I got it started haven’t had the issue since mind you it’s only been one day and it is very random some times it happens some times it doesn’t. Do you know what I can do about the screen in the middle that shows my odometer it is like melted
Old 01-31-2023, 02:58 PM   #7
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Thanks I valeted the car and the valet driver left the lights on and windows down I got to the car it was dead. I got it started haven’t had the issue since mind you it’s only been one day and it is very random some times it happens some times it doesn’t. Do you know what I can do about the screen in the middle that shows my odometer it is like melted
Get a new screen, cluster, whatever.
Old 01-31-2023, 04:30 PM   #8

Quote:
If you had a dead battery you need to recalibrate your throttle.
Have the car on level ground.
turn the key to the on position do not touch the throttle. Do not start the car.
Leave the key on for 20-30 seconds.
Turn the key off for at least 10 seconds.
Start the car you throttle should be good.

No clue on the cluster.