Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2023, 04:54 PM   #1
ISSIMI

Price opinions on 200K mile 987 S

Ive seen the car multiple times and the body is pretty rough (dings,quarter panel dent, paint faded in some areas) Interior is filthy and the driver seat is ripped to shreds but could clean up nicely, top may have a malfunction and the fabric has come undone on the window trim, All stock from doing a walkaround and it has the original books/window sticker. NO SERVICE HISTORY. Have yet to put it on a lift and do a full inspection/road test but lets say everything checks out. What would the price have to be for you to make a deal on this 2005 boxster s?

Most_Wanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 05:25 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Most_Wanted View Post
Ive seen the car multiple times and the body is pretty rough (dings,quarter panel dent, paint faded in some areas) Interior is filthy and the driver seat is ripped to shreds but could clean up nicely, top may have a malfunction and the fabric has come undone on the window trim, All stock from doing a walkaround and it has the original books/window sticker. NO SERVICE HISTORY. Have yet to put it on a lift and do a full inspection/road test but lets say everything checks out. What would the price have to be for you to make a deal on this 2005 boxster s?
With 200K miles on it????
I wouldn't touch it.
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 06:07 PM   #3
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Fully depreciated, neglected, abused and worn out. I guess it depends on some factors of your local market. A running and driving car that can be used as transportation could be about $3,500. Being a Porsche in that condition is a liability - a worn out Honda or Kia would probably be a better car.

So, it's really all subjective to You. Why do you want it and what's the money worth to you.
Old 03-26-2023, 05:47 AM   #4

"The cheapest Porsche you buy will be the most expensive Porsche you'll own."

If you're looking for a bargain, you're looking in the wrong place. Even if this car was free, it will be prohibitively expensive. This is a depreciated asset that is totally worthless. Even if you do all the work yourself, the parts are still expensive and will quickly have you under water before you're done fixing compared to a nice car you could've bought needing much less work.

And an 05 might have a replaceable IMS, which means if you're lucky you can replace it. I say lucky because either way the IMS is probably in bad shape and needing replacing. If you have a replaceable one, it'll cost you $1K to replace it yourself or $3K if you hire it done. If you have the non-replaceable IMS, you'll have to totally tear the engine block down to halves in order to replace the IMS. That's at least $8K if you have someone do it for you.

What you need to look for is a Boxster that's just been bought on a whim and the owner has figured out a 2 seater doesn't fit their lifestyle and they need something more practical. Now is a great time to buy as used car prices are spiralling down and buyers are standing on the sidelines waiting to see how low they'll go. Much better buys out there than this bottomless pit for dead presidents.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)

Last edited by husker boxster; 03-26-2023 at 05:50 AM.
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 05:56 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
How much is the current owner offering you to take this piece of junk off his property?
Old 03-26-2023, 08:22 AM   #6

Garage
I may have come across that one on craigslist too. That one was listed for around 8k, I can`t see it any more. It may be worth buying it after a steep bargain, but only if you have the time and knowledge to fix it up.
Homeoboxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 07:25 PM   #7
ISSIMI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeoboxter View Post
I may have come across that one on craigslist too. That one was listed for around 8k, I can`t see it any more. It may be worth buying it after a steep bargain, but only if you have the time and knowledge to fix it up.
It's definitely the same one haha. Did you get a chance to drive it? What were your thoughts?

A while back I made an impulsive remark about buying it but logic stepped in and now I understand the liabilities. Really I'd like to use the car as a DD. Have some peace of mind parking where ever, not worrying about dings/scratches like i do with my guards red 986S.
Most_Wanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 08:08 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
It's definitely the same one haha. Did you get a chance to drive it? What were your thoughts?

A while back I made an impulsive remark about buying it but logic stepped in and now I understand the liabilities. Really I'd like to use the car as a DD. Have some peace of mind parking where ever, not worrying about dings/scratches like i do with my guards red 986S.
No, I didn`t look go look at it. Maybe once I sell the current one. Problem with the 987 is that parts are more rare and hence more expensive. For the 986 you can find parts sometimes even at the junkyard.

Homeoboxter is offline   Reply With Quote