986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   My clear headlights are on their way!!! (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/8276-my-clear-headlights-their-way.html)

blinkwatt 11-20-2006 10:01 AM

My clear headlights are on their way!!!

After making phone call after phone call to 5 Porsche dismantlers around the U.S. in the past month looking for clear halogens for my Boxster I gave in. I bought a set off of eBay for $480 shipped w/ insurance. They are being shipped out today via UPS,I CAN'T WAIT! So here is where I could use some more help.

-Does anyone run the Euro headlights in their Boxster?

-Do those burn the plastic? Do they cause any discoloring?

-Where can I find them?

They should be here in 2-3 business days. I will surely be posting pictures as soon as they are installed!

Y2BOX 11-20-2006 10:22 AM

And about time too!!!..enjoy the new look...its well worth the $$$$$$!!! :D

blue2000s 11-20-2006 11:19 AM

I don't know how much help this is, but if you really want to be sure the new lights stay clear, stick with the OEM bulbs.

Are you trying to get an HID look?

blinkwatt 11-20-2006 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue2000s
I don't know how much help this is, but if you really want to be sure the new lights stay clear, stick with the OEM bulbs.

Are you trying to get an HID look?

Nope. My dad used to use the Euro lights in his car and it kept the clear look but they are brighter.

Boxtaboy 11-20-2006 11:53 AM

Several folks who have the halogen headlamps use silverstar bulbs, and seem to like it. The only catch is that they don't last as long as the OEM bulbs, with some people reporting they burn out after 1 year of use.

Perfectlap 11-20-2006 12:34 PM

smart. I picked up a set from a 996 911 and sold them about 6 months later for exactly what I paid for them.
Seems to me like if someone could figure out how to cover over the orange with some manner of grayish/silver clip-on housing they would make allot of dough.

fab 11-24-2006 03:00 AM

Let us know how you like them? Any Pics? And the seller name from ebay?

ohioboxster 11-24-2006 05:23 AM

Yes, sellers name please.

AUDIOGUY 11-24-2006 05:28 AM

Be careful with the aftermarket super white or "xenon" look bulbs. I ran into a customer last week that installed these in his Denali and it melted the ends of the wire harness on both sides. He had to spend 400.00 to replace the harnesses and put back the stock bulbs. The problem is that the aftermarket bulbs burn much hotter normally than the stock bulbs. I would hate to imagine what the Porsche dealer would charge for this fix!

Best of luck!

chgolatin2 11-24-2006 05:52 AM

Halogen??? NOT XENONS???

blinkwatt 11-24-2006 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chgolatin2
Halogen??? NOT XENONS???

The standard halogens that came off of the 03'+ 986 body style. They have yet to show up,they are at the UPS warehouse which is closed. The seller only had one pair of these as he upgraded to the Litronics,so giving you guys his eBay I.D. would be useless. I will be sure to take pics when they arrive.

boxsterx 11-25-2006 10:27 AM

always wanted that mod too.... :(
think i'll try ebay too, post your pic after you install them!