Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2006, 08:58 AM   #1

Talking Intermediate Shaft

Hi All,

Can anyone enlighten me as to what exactly is the "intermediate shaft" ? I've heard so much about it and the catastrophic engine damages which occur if the shaft fails or breaks, but don't know where it is or what it does.

Does anyone have any diagrams or pictures or explanation?

Thanks! As you can probably tell, I'm not mechanically inclined.

USA

:troll:
dharrisonwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 10:03 AM   #2

Just as the name states, it's a shaft that is in between the crankshaft and the camshaft in the car (connected by chains to each). It is located below the crankshaft (and the flywheel is attached to the end of the crankshaft) and sits between the 2 halves of the engine case. A chain failing in there would be catastrophic to the engine, because all of those moving parts would collide and obliterate each other. But the more common problem is the intermediate shaft seals at each end of the case can develop a leak, much like the rear main seal at the crankshaft. I just had this repair done to my Box last week, which is why I am fresh on what the intermediate shaft is....
chiefsalami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 11:01 AM   #3
KronixSpeed

My question is, can you hear it?

When I down shift to second lets say, slowing down, I hear a rumbling sound. Is this normal?
Old 11-17-2006, 01:29 PM   #4

You're not going to hear the intermediate shaft.... some rumbling/grinding noise you would hear when downshifting would be from not having your engine revs matched to your tranny revs, and the synchros or transmission working more than necessary to synch your revs back up. In other words, the noise or shaking you would get is from the transmission doing more work than it should. This would be remedied by a double-clutch technique and/or by appropriate rev matching when downshifting. The intermediate shaft is not directly a part of the engine/transmission combination.
chiefsalami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 01:52 PM   #5

Int. Shaft Bearing Failure.

I had an Int. Shaft bearing failure at 27000kms. on my '03 which resulted in an engine replacement under extended warranty. The precurser as best as I can say was that the engine started to sound a bit "rattley" like excessive tappet clearances. In fact my wife one day said "this car is sounding like a bloody chaff cutter"-- appropriate from a country farm girl!!!. The final clue was when I got out of the car and saw 8 litres of oil dumped near the rear wheel, can't repeat what I said! Got to say though, the warranty was conducted in the best professional way,car transported to & returned from the nearest Porsche dealer , 400kms. each way and a rental car provided for the 3 weeks as an engine had to be flown out from Germany. Now running better than ever. Love the car except for the godam hood sqeeks and rattles that drive me crazy!!!
Happy motoring to all,
Glenn--from Down Under
insatiable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 02:28 PM   #6
boggtown

insatiable, try some strut braces, front and rear.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:30 PM   #7

Strut Braces

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggtown
Jonathon, thanks for the reply but what are strut braces, how do they work ,how much are they and what would expect to be the outcome?
I appreciate your comments,
Cheers
Glenn
insatiable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 10:01 PM   #8

The shaft....
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 10:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggtown
???? What the heck are you talking about man? This is a thread about engines not suspension.

Last edited by Adam; 11-20-2006 at 10:09 PM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 12:12 AM   #10

great pic Toolpants... I feel your pain.....

04 Honda Element
07 Nissan Murano
rodsnhawgs is offline   Reply With Quote