Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2022, 02:12 PM   #1

Rattle at Start-Up - Prime Tensioners?

I know, this has been discussed ad nauseum, but I have a question from a different perspective, I think....

Is there an easy way to turn the engine over without it starting to build pressure back into the tensioners? I can't just bump mine, because it fires immediately. Unfortunately, my Boxster can sit for months unused due to business travel and other commitments.

Perhaps a fuse can be pulled? I know, grasping at straws, but that noise just gives me the heebie-geebies...

1985 Porsche Carrera Targa - Guards Red

1978 Porsche 911SC Euro Non-Sunroof - Grand Prix White
Seadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 02:23 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadweller View Post
I know, this has been discussed ad nauseum, but I have a question from a different perspective, I think....

Is there an easy way to turn the engine over without it starting to build pressure back into the tensioners? I can't just bump mine, because it fires immediately. Unfortunately, my Boxster can sit for months unused due to business travel and other commitments.

Perhaps a fuse can be pulled? I know, grasping at straws, but that noise just gives me the heebie-geebies...
Pull the fuel pump fuse or relay.
or the injector, ignition fuse or relay.
Or both.
The engine will spin faster, easier with the plugs removed.
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 02:33 PM   #3

Get an accusump system that stores oil under pressure in a tank and then releases it on command.
Old 10-27-2022, 04:32 PM   #4

Garage
I was thinking about the same thing

Was thinking about an ignition kill switch. Has anyone installed one? Where is the easiest place to splice in a switch?
sfkjeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 11:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfkjeld View Post
Was thinking about an ignition kill switch. Has anyone installed one? Where is the easiest place to splice in a switch?
Easiest location are the 12v inputs to the ignition switch. Get ahold of the wiring diagram and it's not too hard to figure out, but good luck donating under the dash

Of you race though, it's important to read your rulebook as organizations have very specific requirements for the location of these tires of switches and their associated hardware.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Last edited by ike84; 10-29-2022 at 05:34 PM.
ike84 is offline   Reply With Quote