986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Todays Mod/Hack;Steering Wheel Crest (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/8256-todays-mod-hack%3Bsteering-wheel-crest.html)

blinkwatt 11-18-2006 11:35 AM

Todays Mod/Hack;Steering Wheel Crest

Well after deciding I didn't want to drop $500+ to change to a 3-spoke steering wheel w/ airbag I needed to find a way to spice up the steering wheel. I searched and found out about an eBay user, backfromdriving . He sells replica Porsche crest that happen to look nice on the 4-spoke steering wheel featured in Boxsters & 993s. $16 got me the replica crest shipped to my house in 3 business days. So it showed up today and I got to work;

~wiped down the steering wheel imprinted crest w/ rubbing achohol

~practice applying the crest to steering wheel just to make sure I wouldn't mess up applying it

~peeled back the cover to the 3m adhesive tape that was pre-applied to the crest

~applied the crest to the steering wheel(thankfully I lined it up straight the 1st time)

Now so far after giving it some taping and nudges it hasn't moved from it place or fallen off. Now if it ever does fall off I will use Liquid Nails,but until then LONG LIVE THE 3M ADHEVISE TAPE!

I would rate the crest a 8.5/10. The only minor issue I have with it is the width,I wish it was 1/16th it's currently 1/8th wide.

ohioboxster 11-18-2006 11:43 AM

Looks nice, so is it too thick? I wonder if the air bag deploys if it will fly off and stick you in the neck?

blinkwatt 11-18-2006 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohioboxster
Looks nice, so is it too thick? I wonder if the air bag deploys if it will fly off and stick you in the neck?

I guess I'm the only person who thinks it's too thick. Neither my dad or my brother said anything when they saw it,they both said it looks nice. When the airbag deploys the groove you see in the steering wheel splits;you don't have to worry about the crest.

djomlas 11-18-2006 12:39 PM

heres my take on the slipt. when it splits open it will OPEN WIDE and naturally it will want to curve in a way to make way for the air bag, but the emblem is stiff and sturdy, and will not want to fold so it will most likely fly off somewhere (hopefully not the passingers or the vehicle), so i dunno.

here is handpainted emblem. FREE

http://i10.tinypic.com/4g4fiqa.jpg

KevinH1990 11-18-2006 02:29 PM

Looks good. Add some gauge rings next. I don't think the crest will be dangerous in a crash. If one of us has a problem, we will let you know.

super66 11-18-2006 02:46 PM

looks cool.....is it safe to assume that all of your white face gauges came with your cars standards? I am still thinking about upgrading to white like the S....

djomlas 11-18-2006 02:54 PM

they are an option. and come standard on an S

correct me if im wrong

KevinH1990 11-18-2006 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by super66
looks cool.....is it safe to assume that all of your white face gauges came with your cars standards? I am still thinking about upgrading to white like the S....

According to the window sticker the previous owner gave me, mine were part of a $1532 "Exclusive Option" package. The other items included were the floor mats and the silver e-brake and shifter handle.

djomlas 11-18-2006 04:22 PM

how much does it say that the e-brake handle and shift knob cost?
asking couse i got the same thing, silver gauges, e handle, shifter, and freaking green floormats :)

KevinH1990 11-18-2006 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djomlas
how much does it say that the e-brake handle and shift knob cost?
asking couse i got the same thing, silver gauges, e handle, shifter, and freaking green floormats :)

They didn't show the cost for each item - just a total cost for all four.

djomlas 11-18-2006 04:53 PM

oo ok, thx a lot

KevinH1990 11-18-2006 07:06 PM

It looks like you could buy it separately according to the 2000 option list:

X71 Aluminum painted instrument dials $660