Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2003, 03:51 AM   #1
Regional Moderator

Console Delete Hack

I've decided I want to try the "console delete" hack in my car, and I wonder if anyone knows if I need to order any extra parts before I begin (most likely this would only mean some wiring harnesses of an extra-long length). Oh, and do I need those special Becker radio removal tools?

Right now, from top to bottom, my dash looks like this:

Cupholders
Radio
--console gap--
Storage bin (in some cars like Don V's this is a CD holder instead)
Climate Control unit

I'd like to make it like this:

Climate Control unit
Radio
---nothing!---
(L E G R O O M ! ! !)

(Actually, I don't care if the climate control/radio are switched)

Anyone with direct help or links to articles would be great. I'll be taking pictures of this procedure to add to the knowledge base.

Thanks!
Charlie

CharlesGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 08:04 AM   #2

I forget the year of your car but it must be a 2001 or 2002. You get the GT3 kit in matching carpet. There is also a plastic trim piece that you need that covers the gap b/w the shift and the GT3 kit.

To move the a/c display to just under the vents you need 2 brackets and a trim piece for the a/c display - I have the part numbers if you need them. The wiring harness to the a/c display is very long - so you do not need to extend it when you relocate it. You do not need to remove the radio - but it does help to pull it out 1/2 so you can reroute the a/c display wiring harness from the bottom to the top. The connectors on the harness are large and there is not much room back there to reroute the harness when the radio is in.

Take a look at my cupholderectomy pictures to give you an idea on how to delete the cupholders and relocate the a/c display. Jeff

http://www.babblers.org/board/archive.pl?read=15873
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 08:07 AM   #3

For some reason the link does not work. Second try.

http://www.babblers.org/board/archive.pl?read=15873
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 08:14 AM   #4

Charlie, I saved my radio keys & I'd be happy to loan them if you need to pull your radio. Don't forget to "sock" your shift knob before pulling the radio (to protect the knob from the sharp edges of the radio, should it come out).

BTW, IMHO the CD holder is pretty darn useless. If anyone is thinking of ordering/specifying their own car, go for the standard storage bin instead. The CD holder only carries 4 CDs in the space that would otherwise support the storage bin (and likely a CD wallet with 20+ CDs in it!). I didn't check it out well before ordering and I think I just went for it thinking that I could get at least 1 Boxster option for under $100!

Last edited by donv; 03-28-2003 at 08:21 AM.
donv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 10:06 AM   #5
Regional Moderator

Wow. Thanks a lot, guys. More to come...
Old 03-31-2003, 04:05 AM   #6

Talking Pictures on the "other" board!

Charlie, sure you must have seen the pictures of the completed delete option "after" on the other board, you know, PPBB! See you at Woodman's! What time is lunch?
William Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 01:41 PM   #7
Regional Moderator

I've seen the pictures and it is OK looking. For me the sole reason for doing it is to reduce my cockpit claustrophobia.

It seems strange to me that a "kit" is needed to remove this thing. I guess it has some sections of carpeting and a transition piece for the shift console.

See you at Woodmans. We should be there by about 12:30, if you're thinking about skipping the AutoFanatics part. It looks like we're going the 12th, but I'd like to see a couple more votesbefore we decide for sure.
Old 03-31-2003, 02:30 PM   #8

Talking Still got my cleaning supplies from Renn Sport Reunion

Charlie: I probably will skip the Auto Fanatics part because I bought a bunch of stuff from them way back at the Renn Sport Reunion - and never used any of it. I'd rather pay someone else to do it, someone that knows what to do, so, what's the point? Might eat some fried clams though. See you soon. Hell, drop the top, you have the whole world. Console, use it to hold my sunglasses, garage door opener, CD wallet, gum, etc. TTYL
Old 04-01-2003, 01:50 AM   #9
Regional Moderator

Hi William,

You might find it more convenient to meet at AutoFanatics anyway, since our lunch ETA could vary a bit (and its only a couple miles away). If you get there at about 11:45 that should be perfect. See you!
Old 04-01-2003, 09:15 AM   #10

Cool Have you set the day yet?

Can't do it on the 5th, but can on the 12th.
Old 04-01-2003, 11:27 AM   #11
Regional Moderator

It is the 12th.
Old 04-01-2003, 12:11 PM   #12

Thumbs up See you on the 12th around 11:45!

Hope we have a good turn out. Anyone interested in a trip to F-1 Boston for kart racing?
Old 03-14-2004, 06:07 AM   #13
Forum Member

Is there a trick to removing the storage tray in a 2000 Boxster I want to replace it with a satellite radio reciever?

Steve

Steve is offline   Reply With Quote