986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   another reason to go electric... (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/82198-another-reason-go-electric.html)

BRAN 04-14-2022 01:54 AM

another reason to go electric...

I heard and read it before, but never realized it.
Go and check out the car configurator on the Porsche website.
Try to find any 2022 model with a manual transmission.
YEP...only the GT "track tools" 911/718 will offer that option. Fun fact...it will make them slower :D

I see less and less reasons NOT to go electric :ah:
I HOPE, that the 718 won't look like the concept Mission R, I would rather buy the VW buzz :cheers:

Outkasted 04-14-2022 08:04 AM

I dig the concept Mission R but also know the production model won't look exactly like that.

alansdavid 04-14-2022 11:48 AM

Electric cars wont save the planet..wouldnt you miss the sound smell, and feel of a gas car?

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Radman 04-14-2022 11:51 AM

My friend had a 2016 Cayman GT4 with a manual. While it was slower than its PDK brethren, that was the most satisfying vehicle I have ever driven and why I bought the inexpensive 99 Boxster Base in my garage now. My Boxster isn't nearly the beast that the GT4 is obviously, but it's pretty incredible how close it came at 1/10 the price lol!

Stl-986 04-14-2022 04:36 PM

This has been a trend at Porsche for longer then they started doing EV's. Its been known for a while now that they were going to be ditching manual cars and moving to pdk.

ike84 04-14-2022 04:40 PM

A lot of it is actually efficiency related. In a press conference a bit ago the Porsche boss guy said they(and all other auto mfgs) were being pressured by the eu regulators to stop offering manual transmissions altogether, but that they would continue to do so in some form as long as they were legally allowed to do so.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

BRAN 04-15-2022 02:37 AM

Haha...probably one of my grumpy old man moods kicking in:
I want 6 cylinders (not 4 or 8, okay flat 12 from the 917 would be fine as well), flat, no turbo and a manual transmission. Yes, I love the smell of gas in the morning!
I guess we are being abandoned like the air cooled guys :D

The reasons are totally comprehensible, why they need to switch to pdk completely, as only a handfull of years are left for combustion engines in the EU anyways (talking about new cars).
A handshifted e718 would be a solution, come on Porsche, there are a million reasons for it. And a few more suppliers could survive that EU EV-move to boot. :cheers:

Seal1968 04-15-2022 04:50 AM

You could idle 10,000 gas powered Porsches for a year and equal the carbon spewed out to produce 1 EV car battery.

Ya, makes total sense to me...EVs will save us all! lol

Yes, I too am grumpy. Give me my stickshift and let me rev that sweet flat 6 baby!

Is the PDK quicker? Sure if you're a race car driver and want to run 1/4 mile/lap times. For the vast majority who want to "drive" their cars it's not something we'd want or particularly need.

Sorry, but I can't stand the look of the new "shift knob" in the new cars either...looks like a butt plug or something. :eek:

Rob175 04-15-2022 05:58 AM

IF Porsche were to no longer produce a manual Boxster, I wouldn't buy one. I enjoy "operating" my Boxster, not just "driving" it.

Smallblock454 04-15-2022 12:20 PM

Today every (very) untalented person can drive "fast" in a car with modern technology.

I always like it when driver performance made the difference. I always liked it when i had to try hard to be a little faster.

That's why "modern" cars don't speak to me. They are faster, but i don't have fun with them, because my little skills and abilities no longer make a difference.

Instead of investing in synthetic fuels and diversity our government is going full electric on cars. And car manufacturers will kill the "old school" fun cars, because "they have to".

Seems i'm getting old – and old school.