Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2022, 08:59 AM   #1

Ignition question

I am looking to confirm some information. If you disable or remove the immobilizer you can then remove the ignition switch, key and steering lock from the car with no problem. Another question i have is will the alarm still activate if you lock the door with the key?

Old 04-04-2022, 09:40 AM   #2

No.............
Old 04-04-2022, 10:07 AM   #3

what is it you are wanting to do? If you want to do push button start then contact ecu doctors and talk to them but the immobilizer will have to stay in the car.

The alarm is the immobilizer so if you take it out there is no alarm and no way to start the car.
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 12:49 PM   #4

The car is getting an engine swap, I don't see the point of keeping the key ignition which needs to replaced after the swap is done. Thinking push button start.

To make sure i am correct. The alarm is part of the immobilizer that is part of the ecu. So if the ECu is no longer going to be in the car the immobilizer and alarm are no longer working. At this point I assume removing the steering lock and ignition switch should not be a problem.
Old 04-04-2022, 01:57 PM   #5

Good luck with it
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 02:40 PM   #6

No mention of year. Assuming the same as a '99, the CLU is under the driver's seat and the ECU is in the trunk. Separate items. The CLU sends a code to the ECU to start/run.
The CLU checks your key against the code in the EEPROM, if good then sends a code to the ECU. The ECU is re-programmable so you possibly could have the new one programmed to your CLU. Going the other way, you can take the EEPROM out of the new engine's CLU and put it in yours but then you also need the key programmed.
You do not have to change the ignition switch as there is no affect on starting. It is only a coil and interrogator that reads the pill in the key. Even with a push button start the CLU needs to have the pill code sent from the ignition switch.
magno_grail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 03:08 PM   #7

The ecu requires the immobilizer to initiate the starting sequence. You can do a push button start without a key, but you need to study the wiring diagrams to figure it out. If you are swapping the engine and installing a non-porsfhe motor and corresponding ecu then you could theoretically do away with the immobilizer but you are going to have a LOT of issues to sort out to have a fully functional vehicle.

If you don't have an excellent understanding of these systems and the wiring diagrams, don't do this. You will regret it.
Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Old 04-05-2022, 05:28 AM   #8

year is an 01. Thanks for all the information, think I may stick with the current key setup.
Old 04-05-2022, 07:17 AM   #9

If you have a logic analyzer you can read the signal on the W lead from the CLU to the DME then program a micro-controller to do the same.
Also, the immobilizer controls the door locking motor to unlock so the key will not work without it unless you control those motors in another way.

magno_grail is offline   Reply With Quote