Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2006, 05:27 AM   #1

can't decide and I don't think you can help

Folks,

I have both German and Japanese blood in me so I am unable to make this decision.

I have driven and redriven both a 2005 S and a 2006 S2000 and still can't make up my mind.

When I am in the Porsche the whole experience is incredible- the midengine sound the lightness and the "feel". You get out and you go, I am in a Porsche!! and you climb back in and drive again.

When I am in the Honda, I feel I am in a nervous and frenetic car that begs to be driven hard and to me the experience is different, not lesser than the S but different. The feeling is like owning a Sport Bike- no really brand experience and halo like the Porsche but a different but equally satisfying experience.

Would it be crazy to buy both?- financially that would not be a problem
Anyone own both??
Should I go for a 911 and get the S2000 as my drop top?

Thanks in advance

pale rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 05:50 AM   #2

Yes, it would be crazy to buy both. There are many other places to invest/spend money apart from cars.

Get the Box S. Forget about its "brand experience and halo" and enjoy the car for how good it is on its own.

Simplify.

Z.
Old 11-11-2006, 06:10 AM   #3

I don't own both, but I do have a Box and a '64 MGB, which should be so close as to make no difference.
Since you are apparently in a favorable financial position, why not get both? That way you can do a "long term" road test, just like the car nut magazines. Then you can post periodic learned comparisons between the two for us.
My presumption here is that you have access to other vehicles for when you need to carry more than a jock strap and a ham sandwich.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 06:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pale rider
Folks,
Would it be crazy to buy both?- financially that would not be a problem
Anyone own both??
Should I go for a 911 and get the S2000 as my drop top?

Thanks in advance

I"ve said once and a hundred times. You can't take em with you and you only live once. If this decision causes that much confusion and you're financially capable, then do it. BUy both.
jeffsquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 07:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pale rider

...Would it be crazy to buy both?- financially that would not be a problem
Anyone own both??
Should I go for a 911 and get the S2000 as my drop top?...

I'm with the others...buy both. My wife and I currently have a lot of vehicles, including three ragtops, all owned for different reasons. Though similar, the S and the S2000 are not the same and evoke/reflect different emotions. It's nice to be able to wake up in the morning and match your vehicle to you mood. You'll see what I mean.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 08:00 AM   #6

I would say pick one of the converta\ibles, then get a sports sedan as a second. Hold out for the 2008 M3 (400+HP) and that can be your more 'practical' sedan thats a blast to drive. Then you get the best of both worlds. High HP and torque sedan and a fun drop top to zip around in.

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 01:08 PM   #7

To all those recommending he gets both...
What if "financially he had no problem" and couldn't decide between a Black, Silver, Yellow, or Blue Boxster? Quite a predicament.

Z.
Old 11-11-2006, 01:17 PM   #8
KronixSpeed

This is insane.......to even think that you can buy both. If you have all this money, i suggest to buy the s2000 then after a year buy the boxster S....might as well keep trading in the cars and drive everything, they aren't the best two cars that money can buy.........

why not just buy the 911 convertible top of the line with everything done...get it tuned, and i'm sure it would be 10 times better to drive then either of these cars.

insane answer to an insane question. buy the boxster, you pretty much answered the question in your post...."I am in a Porsche"
Old 11-11-2006, 01:17 PM   #9

Ummm get a 07 3.4L boxster instead of both. An 07 boxster "S" is better than a 07 911 cabbie and it cost less money Kronix. Better handling and equal acceleration for less $ = no brainer. 2007 S is the best deal out there in Porsche land.

Last edited by Adam; 11-11-2006 at 01:28 PM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 02:09 PM   #10

Affording a 2007 S

I agree with Adam, with getting an 2007 Boxster S, that one car should be plenty for all your moods, and should make the S2000 redundant. Hey, that sounds like a great idea for me as well.

Now, lets see, when would I be financially able to get myself a nicely configured 2007 Boxster S, oh yeh, thats right...... when I'm dead, I think I am insured enough for a couple of 2007 S's......, no, wait a minute, theres something wrong with that plan...........

Ed

:dance: :dance: :dance:

"Ummm get a 07 3.4L boxster instead of both. An 07 boxster "S" is better than a 07 911 cabbie and it cost less money Kronix. Better handling and equal acceleration for less $ = no brainer. 2007 S is the best deal out there in Porsche land."

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote