986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   I have perhaps invented the eighth deadly sin (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/8159-i-have-perhaps-invented-eighth-deadly-sin.html)

Grizzly 11-10-2006 08:33 PM

I have perhaps invented the eighth deadly sin

I repaired my Porsche with duct tape. Somebody stop me. Please.

After washing the car tonight, I decided to find out why I get water in one of my clear side markers. I pulled the light, got the water out, diagnosed the problem, and fixed it. Cool. Now, when I went to push the light back into the fender...CCCRRRRAAAACCCKKKK! Susefrusamotherfussa. The clip that holds it into the fender snapped off. So, I immediately ordered a new pair on ebay, but it's supposed to be 70 and sunny here tomorrow. How often does that happen in November? I rolled up a piece of duct tape, stuck it inside the fender and stuck the side marker into the tape.

I swear it's temporary! Will you guys still talk to me?!?!

You can't even see it! Really!! Guys? GUYS???

JackG 11-10-2006 08:39 PM

Heathen. Everyone knows to use NASCAR 200 mph tape.

What were you thinking?

CJ_Boxster 11-10-2006 08:50 PM

And the Lord said, "I shall strike he who uses "duct" tape on a porsche with all my mite, WTF dude!"

Yeah... he really said that.... :)

djomlas 11-10-2006 09:05 PM

i had a friend who had over 300 zip-ties inside his engine compartment only, and like a lot more all over the car.

but hey, as long as its only temporarely

also a quick Q, which ones did u order? i see some realllly clear ones and sometime some pop up that are a little smoked.

jeffsquire 11-10-2006 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizzly
I repaired my Porsche with duct tape. Somebody stop me. Please.

After washing the car tonight, I decided to find out why I get water in one of my clear side markers. I pulled the light, got the water out, diagnosed the problem, and fixed it. Cool. Now, when I went to push the light back into the fender...CCCRRRRAAAACCCKKKK! Susefrusamotherfussa. The clip that holds it into the fender snapped off. So, I immediately ordered a new pair on ebay, but it's supposed to be 70 and sunny here tomorrow. How often does that happen in November? I rolled up a piece of duct tape, stuck it inside the fender and stuck the side marker into the tape.

I swear it's temporary! Will you guys still talk to me?!?!

You can't even see it! Really!! Guys? GUYS???

Dear Mr. Grizzly (in 1940s Hollywood-faux English accent),

I refer you to the 986forum By-laws, paragraph 12, paren b, subparen i, comma X, which states in CONSPICUOUS, easy to read, roman text that:

"the party of the first part (you) of the aforementioned entity (This website) shall not under under any circumstances engage in a course of conduct which shall demean, defile, desecrate or "enhance" the party of the first part's (your) Porsche Boxster with any and all products offered in the stream of commerce which are not specfically intented for repair on enhancement of the party of the first parts (your) Porsche without prior approval of Porsche, its assigns, heirs or other such appropriate afficonadae (that's us forum members). Such products include but are not limited to the following products named in their common useage: "spitballs, earwax, squirellpiss, elbowgrease, backbone, hangers, garbage ties, jerry-rigging, nylon rope, cotton rope, nylon rope [or any rope for that matter, except for for hemp rope if used in the Zuffenhausen lounge] ducttape [a.k.a.100mph tape, NASCAR tape, "Duck Tape"]. . . . . .

In the unlikely and extreme event the party of the first part (you) engages is such vial and detestable conduct to the party of the first part's Porsche, said party of the first part (you) shall not make under any circumstance make public delarations of such demeanation, defilation, desecration to said vehicle on said forum. . . .

. . . .Said Porsche afficianados (us) will not ever engage in such conduct nor tolerate those who do. . . .(you)

The penalty for such conduct is banishment from said forum. . . .

We do have certain standards to maintain.

unklekraker 11-10-2006 09:19 PM

yeah....! what ever it is that jeff was saying, I agree....hehehehehehe!

dude, can anybody translate that into plain ol' english! all of a sudden i feel like I have to be a Born American Citizen not Naturalized so I could understand it :D :D :D

TO Grizzly....how dare you do that? when you go to sleep tonight...watch for the 986forum troll :troll: ...you will wake up wrapped with duct tape :eek:

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffsquire

Dear Mr. Grizzly (in 1940s Hollywood-faux English accent),

I refer you to the 986forum By-laws, paragraph 12, paren b, subparen i, comma X, which states in CONSPICUOUS, easy to read, roman text that:

"the party of the first part (you) of the aforementioned entity (This website) shall not under under any circumstances engage in a course of conduct which shall demean, defile, desecrate or "enhance" the party of the first part's (your) Porsche Boxster with any and all products offered in the stream of commerce which are not specfically intented for repair on enhancement of the party of the first parts (your) Porsche without prior approval of Porsche, its assigns, heirs or other such appropriate afficonadae (that's us forum members). Such products include but are not limited to the following products named in their common useage: "spitballs, earwax, squirellpiss, elbowgrease, backbone, hangers, garbage ties, jerry-rigging, nylon rope, cotton rope, nylon rope [or any rope for that matter, except for for hemp rope if used in the Zuffenhausen lounge] ducttape [a.k.a.100mph tape, NASCAR tape, "Duck Tape"]. . . . . .

In the unlikely and extreme event the party of the first part (you) engages is such vial and detestable conduct to the party of the first part's Porsche, said party of the first part (you) shall not make under any circumstance make public delarations of such demeanation, defilation, desecration to said vehicle on said forum. . . .

. . . .Said Porsche afficianados (us) will not ever engage in such conduct nor tolerate those who do. . . .(you)

The penalty for such conduct is banishment from said forum. . . .

We do have certain standards to maintain.

01slowbox 11-10-2006 11:03 PM

Quote:

I repaired my Porsche with duct tape.

haha Sombody check perfectlap's pulse to see if he survived reading that one

David N. 11-10-2006 11:09 PM

Zip ties are quite respectable. Light, strong, robust to elements, heat, and wear. I swear the Ultima GTR is held together by zip ties and a chevy engine, guess which part lasts longer.

-David

ohioboxster 11-11-2006 03:17 AM

I dont see a problem with it.

Adam 11-11-2006 08:11 AM

Go Grizz! Now you got some Kentucky Chrome on yer car!!! :cheers:

SD987 11-11-2006 08:17 AM

I agree with Adam, the duct tape on the Porsche is fine...

it's the refrigerator in the front yard that's the problem. :)

bmussatti 11-11-2006 08:19 AM

Grizz, what did cause the water to enter the clear side-markers? Was that black rubber gromit thingy missing?

Grizzly 11-11-2006 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmussatti
Grizz, what did cause the water to enter the clear side-markers? Was that black rubber gromit thingy missing?

The clear lens had begun to separate from the back of the light. I jerry-rigged it with clear silicone, which according to Jeff, is also an explicit violation. It doesn't matter now, because a new set is en-route.

drburton 11-11-2006 12:27 PM

I think i probably did worse. I had a whistling noise coming from my side view mirror and figured out it was the air flowing through one of the little cracks in the construction. So I put a piece of clear packaging tape on it to test if I found the right spot. Sure enough the whistle stopped. That was 5 months ago, packaging tape is still on the car :eek:

Grizzly 11-11-2006 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djomlas

also a quick Q, which ones did u order? i see some realllly clear ones and sometime some pop up that are a little smoked.

I got the real clear ones to match all the other lights on the car.

jeffsquire 11-11-2006 06:11 PM

Quote:

The clear lens had begun to separate from the back of the light. I jerry-rigged it with clear silicone, which according to Jeff, is also an explicit violation. It doesn't matter now, because a new set is en-route.

You're in double violation. But honestly I hear squirrelpiss will loosen nuts and bolts.

jeffsquire 11-11-2006 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam
Go Grizz! Now you got some Kentucky Chrome on yer car!!! :cheers:

Adam 11-11-2006 06:35 PM

:D :) .....................

Mantis 11-12-2006 07:02 AM

It's a Porsche, ferchistsakes. Worthly of the upgraded Gorilla Tape!

Paul 11-12-2006 06:29 PM

What's next, a piece of coat hanger wire to hold up your exhaust system??? :eek:

Your Porsche should hide in shame in a dark corner of your garage until it is repaired correctly!!! :(

As a community we have standards!!!

Or just drive it only at night....

Grizzly 11-17-2006 05:09 PM

It is properly fixed. I hope...someday...you can find it in your hearts to forgive me.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2...1/DSC00331.jpg

unklekraker 11-17-2006 07:44 PM

Grizz, you are now forgiven! that is after you recite "986forum Porschefile Prayer 5 times :D
Quote:

It is properly fixed. I hope...someday...you can find it in your hearts to forgive me.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2...1/DSC00331.jpg