986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Triptronic tips? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/8146-triptronic-tips.html)

motoadve 11-10-2006 05:30 AM

Triptronic tips?

I want to make the most out of my triptronic , any tips?

I didnt choose tritronic, was the only available Boxster 05 here so was my only option, although Im quite happy since I drive in slow traffic 80% of the time, and I have taken the boxster in the twisties and I feel is fast enough.

Still I would like some tips to make the most out of my Triptronic.

unklekraker 11-10-2006 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motoadve
I want to make the most out of my triptronic , any tips?

I didnt choose tritronic, was the only available Boxster 05 here so was my only option, although Im quite happy since I drive in slow traffic 80% of the time, and I have taken the boxster in the twisties and I feel is fast enough.

Still I would like some tips to make the most out of my Triptronic.

i have the tiptronic too and i love using it on stoplights....especially if going to stop...i could feel and hear the engine goes downshift or upshift....the best sound ever and plus I rarely use my cd or radio everytime i'm in my box :cheers:

My next car, if i upgrade would be 04' or 05' Box :D

ukchris 11-10-2006 08:04 AM

The tip really is very versatile, if you're sat at a light and want a quick take off drop it down in to first.. it really isn't needed most of the time but it's fun to try.

Drive and enjoy in manual mode when it suits you, if you're leaving a busy highway slide it in to manual to get more control on the exit and while entering the next freeway for example. Also experiment with how it lets you switch in to manual for short periods... when on the highway in Auto downshift with the swithc, tear it up a little and when you level off it will automatically take over again.

Downshift too for engine braking... like in a stick, it isn't like a regulat automatic.

I think the bottom line is it is intelligent enough to not let you do anything stupid so you can experiment without worrying too much. If you're in manual mode and you get near the red line it will shift for you for example.

I love the tip... after 20 years driving manual cars I love it, it's not for everyone but for me I think it's perfect.

Chris.

unklekraker 11-10-2006 08:11 AM

CHRIS..THAKS FOR THAT WELL EXPLAINED THOUGHT OF YOURS...IT MAKES ME FEEL GOOD NOW THAT SOMEONE OUT THERE LIKE THE TIP's TOO :)
I DO WHAT YOU JUST SAID FROM TIME TO TIME ESPECIALLY THE FREEWAY THINGY :)

Dante 11-10-2006 08:26 AM

I too love my tip and will probably go tip again on my next one :)

As for tips - here is my favorite one that was originally given to me by Ronzi *although not sure if it works on 05+

Dante,
try this.
Leave your Tip in auto mode. Approach a corner at a good rate of speed. As you brake, jab the accelerator to the floor and release, like you would if you were double-clutching on a manual box downshift. The Tipper will actually JUMP from say 4th gear to second, skipping third.
This technique, or more properly an undocumented capability, was discussed in Panorama, the PCA monthly magazine, a year or two ago.
I have tried it and it does work.
I would also say it is of marginal utility, except maybe on the race track."

Originally Posted by Ronzi

While I usually drive in manual mode -- this trick is great when you want to race around in auto.

And don't know if anyone else can comment - but I would think disconnecting your battery to clear the "adaptive" memory for the tip. Unless assuming the car is constantly monitoring your driving habits and adapts accordingly?