986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   My Fist Boxster !!!! (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/8144-my-fist-boxster.html)

smagerstein 11-10-2006 04:04 AM

My First Boxster !!!!

Hello all.

I have just joined the Boxster clan and what an experience it is.

I never even thought of considering purchasing a Boxster but after reading forums such as this I thought Id better give 1 a test drive.

I was amazed!!

Having driven many porsches before and owned a couple, I was instantly impressed with the 1 I test drove from a dealer. The handling, steering, balance, brakes all felt perfect. I had test drove a 2003 911 Carrera Cab only the day before and the driving experience was only marginally different to the Boxster.

So for 40% of the price I know have what I believe to be 90% of the car, with equal or if not better handling, and much easier to plod around town on a daily basis rather than a 911.

So after all the ruitine checks, I settled for a 2002 Boxster 2.7 in seal grey color with 30,000 miles on the clock, kept in perfect condition by its previous owner who only sold it to get the 2006 987 s. (lucky him).

I think I chose wisely as my other option would have been maybe a 964 carrera. But was scared of the maintenance on a vehicle of this age.

I look forward to continuing reading these posts and contributing when I can.

Cheers.

Porschekid 11-10-2006 04:30 AM

Beautiful car... nice choice. How did you like your 928 GTS? Are they as fast as some people make them out to be? I have always loved those cars. Got any pictures?

smagerstein 11-10-2006 05:06 AM

Yes the GTS was a monster!! The sound of the engine/exhaust was the best i have ever heard on any car any make, it was truly sick.

Mine was an auto unfortunantly. The manuals are heaps quicker. But top end spead was awesome. The car didnt ever feel happy unless it was doing over 100!

Got rid of it because I moved OS. The problems were starting to mount though with heaps of expensive work needing to be done. I did sell it fairly cheap to a friend who has now fixed the problems and says his grin is ear to ear when he drives it. Would happily have one again in the future if I can afford a second toy. was handy having back seats though and a big boot. The next will be black..

Cheers

z12358 11-10-2006 06:18 AM

Steven, congrats and welcome. Slovenia is beautiful and full of twisties just made for the Box. How long do you plan to stay there?

unklekraker 11-10-2006 06:23 AM

Hey Steve...I love your past and recent car collection:

1993 928 GTS
1979 911 SC 3.0
2004 Subaru Liberty GT
2000 Nissan Pulsar SSS

On my next upgrade (that is if wifey would allow it...hehehehehe) would be 04 or 05 Box S Seal gray or the meteor color (not really sure if that's what it's called)...but men, i love the color of your car! Congrats and welcom to the box family :cheers: :dance:

smagerstein 11-10-2006 06:24 AM

Thanks mate,

Im here sorta perminantly. The roads here are fantastic and the police dont care how fast you go realy. Speed limit is 130kmph but 150-160 is tolerated no problem.

I got pulled over the second day i had the car by some police waving me down on the side of the road. quick rego check and questions about car.

people here are into cars bigtime but not many porsches on the road so its a bit of a novelty for them

The roads here are fantastic and i cant wait for next summer with the roof down purring through the mountains and country villiages. winter is kicking in pretty quickly now so i will have to behave myself on the icy/snowy roads. need to get some winter tyres next week. any suggestions?

been here now for 10 months so have had to put up with a pussy pug 307 company car now. my wife gets the pug now.

Cheers,

smagerstein 11-10-2006 06:30 AM

thanks mate,

the subaru was pretty quick and handled very well but oh so boring!! my wife ended up with it and i drove my 928 daily.

Im happy with the color combination I ended up with. Cant wait for a sunny sunday to give it a wasn and wax.

previous owner kept it very very clean.

the car is as new in and out...only a couple of stone chips...will fix maybe one day but not for now.

thinking of getting some different wheels, not sure if i like these 17's but we will see. dont think my wife will let me.

Perfectlap 11-10-2006 06:36 AM

90% of a Carrera Cab? at 40% of the price?

The Boxster is the benchmark of roadsters. The Cab is not really that type of car.
Its more of "cruiser"
It doesn't handle as well as Boxster and its got that pendulus cornering that some guys love and I personally find unacceptable. And most pro racing teams find it less than desirable as well because every "purpose race built"(intended only for racing) Porsche has been one with the engine in the middle.

So what I'm saying is that the things that the Boxster is lacking when compared to a Carrera Cab are things that it does not need.

unklekraker 11-10-2006 06:42 AM

steve...IMHO, enjoy it stock first before you let the mod's itch get into you! your car is already awesome....do some mods' after you got tired of being stock :)

Porschekid 11-10-2006 07:10 AM

Great looking 928 too. Those GTS's are pretty rare in the states. Some of the final year models in nice shape are still going for north of $50k. It's a shame that so many of them are automatics.

SD987 11-10-2006 08:26 AM

I'll be honest with you, I didn't know Slovenia was a country. I actually thought it was like Transylvania...

I'll take geography for $400 !

smagerstein 11-10-2006 08:45 AM

Well there you go. You learn something everyday.

Slovenia was part of yugoslavia until it obtained independence in 1990 after a 10 day war

CJ_Boxster 11-10-2006 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smagerstein
Hello all.

I have just joined the Boxster clan and what an experience it is.

I never even thought of considering purchasing a Boxster but after reading forums such as this I thought Id better give 1 a test drive.

I was amazed!!

Having driven many porsches before and owned a couple, I was instantly impressed with the 1 I test drove from a dealer. The handling, steering, balance, brakes all felt perfect. I had test drove a 2003 911 Carrera Cab only the day before and the driving experience was only marginally different to the Boxster.

So for 40% of the price I know have what I believe to be 90% of the car, with equal or if not better handling, and much easier to plod around town on a daily basis rather than a 911.

So after all the ruitine checks, I settled for a 2002 Boxster 2.7 in seal grey color with 30,000 miles on the clock, kept in perfect condition by its previous owner who only sold it to get the 2006 987 s. (lucky him).

I think I chose wisely as my other option would have been maybe a 964 carrera. But was scared of the maintenance on a vehicle of this age.

I look forward to continuing reading these posts and contributing when I can.

Cheers.

You may want to check that sidevent on teh drivers side, it looks like it isnt attached all the way, the bottom edge looks unlatched.

Perfectlap 11-10-2006 11:35 AM

hey if the cops don't hassle you in Argentina you should remove the front plate.
How much in dollars does it cost you to fill up your tank these days?

(jut kidding I know you said Armenia).

smagerstein 11-10-2006 10:18 PM

Ha Ha. I see you are the joker here.

Look forward to getting you back!

The side vent feels firmly inplace.

So im not sure, i will get someone to look at it.

smagerstein 11-11-2006 07:31 AM

Thanks CJ Boxster.

I took the car to dealer regarding driver side vent and they informed me that this side vent is normal for my car as it was changed at end of 2002.
The lip was increased a little to stop water, rubbish and ciggerette buts from flying into the vent.

It feels very secure and not loose at all.

another question....The rear deck spoiler on my car seems very unoriginal and I think sorta looks stupid.

Any comments. Would it be easy to remove?

Thanks.

Steven.

Adam 11-11-2006 07:54 AM

I don't like fixed spoilers on the boxster....I say take it off. The factory retractable spoiler is pretty nifty imo. Some don't like the "flat board" look particulary on the earlier boxster models and if that is the case you can always buy a Caymenesque type spoiler that replaces the stock spoiler.

smagerstein 11-11-2006 08:00 AM

I agree, it look strange..

Have to say that when the factory spoiler is raised it does look heaps better as it sits sort of flush with it.....nah Think i will get rid of it

Ciao

djomlas 11-11-2006 09:03 AM

do you speak serbian?

slovenia is a nice country btw

smagerstein 11-11-2006 11:46 PM

No I dont speak Serbian, Im having a hard time learning Slovene. Having 3 lessons per week but its bloody HARD.

Maybe in 5 years I will be ok with the lingo!!!

Cheers