Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2008, 12:58 PM   #1

Question Watts up doc? Radio amp question

:dance: I have the CDR-220 with the factory amp located in front of the battery. Soon I want to add rear speakers, and sooner or later upgrade the head end. I have the silly cup holders stacked above the radio so i can remove both and do a double DIN installtion - once I figure out what to put there. First some questions:

How many watts is the factory amp?
Some amps are linear, meaning they boost whatever you put into them rather than having a fixed wattage output. So if it's a 10x1 you'd get 100 watts out of a 10 watt input. Is this amp linear?

Does it drive only the front speakers?

To add rear speakers will I find rear speaker outputs on the CDR-220, not going through the amp, or will I find rear speaker wires from the amp? Where are they?

Are there micro-pizo tweeters on the dash speakers? Doesn't sound like it. Has anybody found some great micro-pizo units that install on the windshield frame or doors and look factory?

Thanks folks!

Kevfra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 06:25 PM   #2

I'm not an audiophile and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn, but I can answer some of your questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevfra
:dance: I have the CDR-220 with the factory amp located in front of the battery. Soon I want to add rear speakers, and sooner or later upgrade the head end. I have the silly cup holders stacked above the radio so i can remove both and do a double DIN installtion - once I figure out what to put there. First some questions:

How many watts is the factory amp? 4x40 watts
Some amps are linear, meaning they boost whatever you put into them rather than having a fixed wattage output. So if it's a 10x1 you'd get 100 watts out of a 10 watt input. Is this amp linear?

Does it drive only the front speakers? No, powers the door and dash speakers.

To add rear speakers will I find rear speaker outputs on the CDR-220, not going through the amp, or will I find rear speaker wires from the amp? Where are they?
The rear speakers are wired into the radio. If you want them to go through the amp, you need to purchase a 6x60 watt amp most commonly used in a 996. They can be found on flea-bay, just be sure you get the one that's correct for your system (they make 3 different types).

Are there micro-pizo tweeters on the dash speakers? Doesn't sound like it. Has anybody found some great micro-pizo units that install on the windshield frame or doors and look factory?

Thanks folks!

2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote