Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2006, 11:30 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
The after effect of the tranny oil change.

Just to start off;99',5-spd,55k,5 years & 32k on old tranny oil(had a new clutch installed at 23k)

I have been working on my cars 60k maintaince over the past few months and this and the fuel filter change are all thats left. Well not anymore,I changed the tranny oil this weekend! I used to bentley manual to help guide me,got the drain plug from MNBoxster(thanks!),3 Quarts of Redline MT-90 tranny oil(only 2.4 Quarts are used,$27) from Tognotti's and the 17mm hex key from Sears($8.99). Now changing the tranny oil wasn't hard but more time consuming. I used Redline MT90 Tranny Oil and the bottle it came in was way too big to fit in the tiny work area where the fill plug was. I found a smaller empty bottle of lawnmower oil,rinsed it out,ran some Redline oil in it,shook it up,turned it upside down to ensure I got all residue out then refilled it with Redline and poured it in the fill plug. Filled it w/ 2.4 Quarts,tightened the fill plug,Reconnected the underbody access panel and metal braces and I was off. I noticed right away that shifting from 1-2 & 2-3 was a little bit smoother.

By the way USED TRANNY OIL IS ONE OF THE WORST SMELLING SCENTS EVER!!!!

Now the next "operation"....FUEL FILTER! . Hopefully this one won't stain my garage floor like this project did.

Last edited by blinkwatt; 11-04-2006 at 11:33 AM.
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 11:44 AM   #2

Im thinking of doing mine also before it gets too cold here in Ohio. You know all the stuff I've done to my car. I found changing the fuel filter one of the biggest pain in the butt maintenance issues. Im sure you will do fine but Im looking forward to your thread after its done.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:50 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioboxster
Im thinking of doing mine also before it gets too cold here in Ohio. You know all the stuff I've done to my car. I found changing the fuel filter one of the biggest pain in the butt maintenance issues. Im sure you will do fine but Im looking forward to your thread after its done.
I will surely look forward to it as well! After the fuel filter swap the car is as up to date as it can be maintainence wise. Then I can finally do some performance mods!
Old 11-04-2006, 11:53 AM   #4

Smile

Most gear lube smells really awful. I believe it is sulphur.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 02:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee

Hi,

Yes, you're right. Gear Lube needs to be much more resistant to compression than Motor Oil does. Basically, so it can withstand the extreme pressures experienced between the gears as they mesh (much higher than anywhere in the engine).

To meet this need, the lube manufacturers use an additive which is a sulphur/phospohorus compound. It is already present in refined Oil (as well as part of the additive pkg.), but added to Synthetic Oil.

As the Gear Oil ages, it becomes less stable and it's chemistry changes. These additive compounds breakdown releasing the Sulphur and that's what you smell. It also means that the Lube has lost some of it's ability to resist compression too...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 02:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
I will surely look forward to it as well! After the fuel filter swap the car is as up to date as it can be maintainence wise. Then I can finally do some performance mods!

Hi,

The Fuel Filter is grounded, so be sure to disconnect the battery before working on it to eliminate the possibility of a spark - very bad...

Old 11-04-2006, 03:53 PM   #7

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
Could have fooled me, i thought my gear oil in my other cars was fused with cat piss and burnt cat hair.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 06:46 PM   #8

The fuel filter doesn't need to changed in later model boxsters so says my bentley book....less maintence makes me a happy guy I'ts amazing they now have a lifetime fuel filter??

Last edited by Adam; 11-04-2006 at 06:51 PM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 06:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
The fuel filter doesn't need to changed in later model boxsters so says my bentley book....less maintence makes me a happy guy

Hi,

Yes it will, just not as a maintenance item, but eventually, it will clog. It'll take at least twice as long as the earlier models because your fuel system is of the Non-Return type. It distributes only that fuel which the DME/Injectors call for.

The earlier cars sent fuel to the fuel rail and that which wasn't used was returned to the tank via the return line, so much of the fuel actually went through the fuel filter two or more times before being burned.

You don't have the maintenance, but the downside is that when it fails (or the fuel pump for that matter) the whole unit - Filter, Fuel Pump and Fuel Sender must be replaced because it's all one integrated unit. If any one of the three fails, you replace them all. Easier, but far more expensive in the long run. Still doesn't mean you can't be happy...

Old 11-04-2006, 07:20 PM   #10

Blink, my mechanic said that I should not make any instant opinions about the new tranny oil in my car during the first hundred miles after changing it. He said there are some chemical reactions going on when the transmission gear oil gets hot and it actually gets better after a couple of weeks. Something about the stuff in the synthetic mixture adhering to the parts and making them work better after a little driving time.

I haven't driven my car enough to notice this or not yet. 1-2 does seem easier when cold though.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 07:24 PM   #11
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Blink, my mechanic said that I should not make any instant opinions about the new tranny oil in my car during the first hundred miles after changing it. He said there are some chemical reactions going on when the transmission gear oil gets hot and it actually gets better after a couple of weeks. Something about the stuff in the synthetic mixture adhering to the parts and making them work better after a little driving time.

I haven't driven my car enough to notice this or not yet. 1-2 does seem easier when cold though.

Randall, did Hans recommend that you use the Royal Purple when you did the tranny change, or was this your choice?
Old 11-04-2006, 08:19 PM   #12

He did suggest Royal Purple. I think he doesn't know about Red Line though...

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote