Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2006, 05:40 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
brake pads Q

well today i noticed that they are making a little noise, so what suggestions do you guys have when it comes to brand wise.
ill be swapping them out myself.
should i just go to a parts store and get some generic ones?
or...
did anyone try those that are sold on ebay at all, or is that too risky? they are mintex brand. the price is pretty nice but dont know quality of those.

ANY input is greatly appreciated and i am open to suggestions
thx

exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 06:16 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by djomlas
well today i noticed that they are making a little noise, so what suggestions do you guys have when it comes to brand wise.
ill be swapping them out myself.
should i just go to a parts store and get some generic ones?
or...
did anyone try those that are sold on ebay at all, or is that too risky? they are mintex brand. the price is pretty nice but dont know quality of those.

ANY input is greatly appreciated and i am open to suggestions
thx
Hi,

Squeaking doesn't necessarily mean you need new pads. Some agressive Street Pads or Race Pads naturally squeal. Also, you may have glazed the Pads or Rotors.

What you need to do is pull a wheel and inspect the pad to see how much material remains. If you have 2mm (0.8") or more of material on them, the pads don't need changing. If close, or less, then it's time for a change.

BTW, Mintex is a worldwide leader in Brake Pads, they probably make several types for the Boxster. The OEM pads are made by Pagid and the Part Numbers for these are Fr - U2407, Rr - U2406.

Interestingly, both Mintex and Pagid are owned by the same company - TMD Friction Group. If you're using the car mainly for Street use, stick with the OEMs unless the Mintex are cheaper. One caveat, some of the Mintex Pads do not have a hole drilled in them for the Wear Indicator, be sure the eBay ones do. I use Mintex on my 240Z and they are pretty low dust, the OEM Pagids are not, I'll probably switch to the Mintex (PN# MDB1874D) next year when my brakes are due. I use EBC Green Stuff pads on my Esprit, also very good. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 06:36 PM   #3
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Squeaking doesn't necessarily mean you need new pads. Some agressive Street Pads or Race Pads naturally squeal. Also, you may have glazed the Pads or Rotors.

What you need to do is pull a wheel and inspect the pad to see how much material remains. If you have 2mm (0.8") or more of material on them, the pads don't need changing. If close, or less, then it's time for a change.

BTW, Mintex is a worldwide leader in Brake Pads, they probably make several types for the Boxster. The OEM pads are made by Pagid and the Part Numbers for these are Fr - U2407, Rr - U2406.

Interestingly, both Mintex and Pagid are owned by the same company - TMD Friction Group. If you're using the car mainly for Street use, stick with the OEMs unless the Mintex are cheaper. One caveat, some of the Mintex Pads do not have a hole drilled in them for the Wear Indicator, be sure the eBay ones do. I use Mintex on my 240Z and they are pretty low dust, the OEM Pagids are not, I'll probably switch to the Mintex (PN# MDB1874D) next year when my brakes are due. I use EBC Green Stuff pads on my Esprit, also very good. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

How's the dust generation on the Green Stuff pads?

I've got Hawk HPS's on a couple of cars. They have really good grip on the rotor, work great cold and hot they're quiet and they don't seem to be hard on the rotors at al, but they are really dusty. It's a rust colored dust too that's not easy to clean off of Aluminum wheels.

blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote