986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Never Buy A Gm Jack/scissor's Jack!!!!!! (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/8035-never-buy-gm-jack-scissors-jack.html)

blinkwatt 11-02-2006 01:33 PM

Never Buy A Gm Jack/scissor's Jack!!!!!!

So I went to change my plastic flap in front of the driver wheel well in front of the tire. I was a tight squeeze to fit a screwdriver underneath so I went to use the spare scissor's jack that I had bought to leave in garage for who knows what reason. Let's make this clear,ITS A GM GOODWRENCH 1.5 TON SCISSOR JACK! The top of the scissor jack is the perfect size to fit the jack pad underneath the car. I go to extend the jack to its height(It lifted the car about 3-4 inches off the ground).....IT SLOWLY TILTED AND SNAPPED!!!!!! It was wedged undernearth the jack pad!!!I grabbed the jack in the cabinet,lifted the car up enough to get it out and put it back down.......WHAT WOULD HAVE HAPPENED IF IT WAS AN EMERGENCY???????? KEEP IN MIND THE CAR WAS LIFTED BY ITS LIFTING POINTS,AND WEIGHTS ALOT LESS THEN THE WEIGHT LIMIT!!!!!!

This is ridiculous,I'm trying to contact GM about this,I keep getting the run around from employees though.

bmussatti 11-02-2006 01:38 PM

Hopefully you did not damage your car, or get hurt. Don't count on any assistance from GM...they are about bankrupt!

Travis 11-02-2006 02:50 PM

Dude . . . .

I think your Porsche got pissed that it was being lifted by a GM product and crushed the damn jack ;)

But seriously good thing you did not get hurt, might be a case for Ralph Nadar :D

bmussatti 11-02-2006 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travis
Dude . . . .

I think your Porsche got pissed that it was being lifted by a GM product and crushed the damn jack ;)

But seriously good thing you did not get hurt, might be a case for Ralph Nadar :D

Is Nader still alive?? What is he, like...103!

Tool Pants 11-02-2006 05:07 PM

I will not put any part of my body under any car supported by that style of jack, and that includes the Boxster jack.

binaryc 11-02-2006 08:24 PM

1.5 tons = 3 000 pounds
Boxster = 2 855 pounds
Difference = 145 pounds

The jack's barely strong enough to hold the car even in the best of conditions. If you breathed on it funny it would collapse. I wouldn't use anything less than a 2 ton jack.

blinkwatt 11-02-2006 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by binaryc
1.5 tons = 3 000 pounds
Boxster = 2 855 pounds
Difference = 145 pounds

The jack's barely strong enough to hold the car even in the best of conditions. If you breathed on it funny it would collapse. I wouldn't use anything less than a 2 ton jack.

GM Goodwrench advertises 1.5ton,I expect it to handle 1.5tons at least...the passenger side of the car was still on the ground thus not even putting anywhere near 2855 pounds of pressure on it.

MNBoxster 11-02-2006 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tool Pants
I will not put any part of my body under any car supported by that style of jack, and that includes the Boxster jack.

Hi,

Agreed. My practice it to raise the car on a Floor Jack and place the Jack Stands. Then, I give it a pretty fair sideways shove before I will get under it. I had a Jack Stand collapse on me while I was under an MGBGT once, so the Trust is gone...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

crzn427 11-02-2006 10:03 PM

You didn't say if you had the e-brake on, or if the wheels on the oppoite side were chalked.

Did the jack collaps with the car rolling forward (backward) or with the car moving sideways (this is possible when the suspension flexes while one wheel is off the ground). If the jack isn't properly positioned under the car (vertical) it takes very little side load to start movement with drastic results.

I agree with others who say "don't get under any car that is supported on a jack, always use a "jack stand" that locks at the set height. Then rock the car in both directions to see if it will come off the stand.

Tool Pants 11-02-2006 10:41 PM

The weight capacity of a scissor jack has nothing to do with nothing. That is why it is called an emergency jack.

The warning has been sent for DIYers working at your house, driveway, whatever.

Blinky/Robert has been all over the message boards with the same post.

100 years ago I had a car move on me when it was jacked up - wheels were off. I was 16 years old back then.

Your head and chest is not as small as the 3,100 pound weight of an automobile piece of steel crushing you against a concrete slab.

For MN, I do the sideways shove as well. Jack stands are not always good on my sloped driveway, and in earthquake country.

There are safe ways to work on a motor vehicle for the DIYer.

And never buy a GM GOODWRENCH 1.5 TON SCISSOR JACK

Thanks, Blinky.

djomlas 11-03-2006 05:40 AM

i had 2 of those jacks in my camaros and one in my dads buick, and they all are somewhere in the garage in the same condition that ur pics show.
so nothing new, and GM wont do squat, many many many people on other boards tried to do something about this, petitions, people working there and whatnot, and still zilch, so save ur cellphone minutes :)

on the happy note, glad u did get hurt man