Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2021, 11:08 AM   #1
1999 Boxster 5 spd.

Just got my '99 back

Hello, I am new to the group. I bought a '99 last year. I've owned many sports cars over the years but this is my first Porsche and I absolutely love it. Just got it back from the shop having the IMS, clutch, and a few odds-and-ends done. It was in the shop for over a month -- a broken engine block mounting ear for the bellhousing caused quite a delay. Now I intend to enjoy it! It's in great shape but needs a few very minor cosmetic issues addressed, primarily on the interior. I ordered new seat upholstery so that's next on the agenda as well as pulling out the rollbar for sandblast/powder coating.

What a sweet running machine. Of all the cars I have owned, this is the best driver's car in my experience. I will probably daily it in the summer. One of my friends told me it is a "girl's car" (whatever that means) but who cares, I absolutely enjoy it.

Chris (aka Huey) from Dayton, Ohio.

Huey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 11:54 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huey View Post
. One of my friends told me it is a "girl's car" (whatever that means) but who cares, I absolutely enjoy it.
Huey, I am guessing that your friend drives a 4X4 pickup truck and is simply jealous ..lol
congratulations on your car looks pretty clean!
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 12:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huey View Post
One of my friends told me it is a "girl's car" (whatever that means) but who cares, I absolutely enjoy it.
I'm inviting your friend to the track with me. He can ride in the passenger seat. I'll show him what a "girls car" can do.

Welcome to the group. Nice looking ride. '99's are my favorite year. There are a lot of smart people here - take advantage of the group knowledge and don't ever be afraid to ask a question.
Old 05-05-2021, 12:45 PM   #4

Congratulations on your new ride. Yep, I heard the same "hair dressers" comments as well. Took a ride in one at an AX event from a HPDE instructor and thought...holy cow, if this is what hair dressers drive then count me in. Found one in the following months and never looked back. Enjoy.
Jgkram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 01:09 PM   #5
1999 Boxster 5 spd.

I have never understood the distinction of "girl's car." I honestly don't know what that even means. Do they mean it's a car that more woman than men tend to buy or do they mean the car itself is feminine? Either way, it doesn't matter. I've owned hot rods and other sports cars and none of them were as pleasurable to drive as the Boxster.
Old 05-05-2021, 04:04 PM   #6
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Who doesn't like girls?
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 05:57 PM   #7

Well, my brother for one

Honestly I don't care.
I didn't get it to please other people. I got it to drive and appreciate.
And as long as it puts a smile on my face I'm happy.

Besides. It'll outrun both the GT stang and the vette.
So what's a real man's car ?
And how many of the people who make those comments have one that qualifies ?
Old 05-05-2021, 07:04 PM   #8

Love comments like that. Especially from guys that have stangs, vettes and the like. Love it even more when I lap them at the track cause they dont know how to drive their car unless it's a straight line. I'll take these "girl cars" over theirs any day of the week since I can take a corner at 100+ while they are slamming on their brakes.
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 08:56 PM   #9

It really should be called "Old white guy's car" or "mid-life crisis car" because 80% of my customers were white men between 45-65
Old 05-05-2021, 09:34 PM   #10
Boxing in Australia

Old white guys

I am 81 this month, I still like girls and Porsche Boxsters, I can still drive the car but girls more problematical.
Alan Mackew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 04:01 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
It really should be called "Old white guy's car" or "mid-life crisis car" because 80% of my customers were white men between 45-65
Hey! I resemble that remark!
Old 05-06-2021, 04:54 AM   #12
1999 Boxster 5 spd.

Quote:
Well I guess I fit that demographic
Old 05-06-2021, 05:15 AM   #13

Garage
I'm ahead of the curve then, I just got my first at 39.

Quote:
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 05:29 AM   #14

Meanwhile I apparently need my picture in the dictionary since I'm 45 and have Boxster, stang and vette

And yeah. Two of those are red and the Boxster is triple black.

Ohh and I'm fat and bald.... Who do I contact for that dictionary picture again ??
Old 05-06-2021, 06:20 AM   #15
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
That might be because there are so damn many of us in that demographic. Boomers and boom echoers.

I’ll be 67 later this month but I might be in the middle of the pack in our local PCA chapter.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 07:26 AM   #16
1999 Boxster 5 spd.

Being new to the Porsche scene, I can give you my first impressions of the car.

Like I said, it is the best driver's car I have ever owned and I have owned a few sports cars in my day. The power curve, balance, and handling are superb. I find it to be quite comfortable to drive and I feel like I could comfortably take it on a long road trip, which I hope to do some day.

Some people say they are underpowered compared to other Porsches and that may be true. But I'm not a guy who enjoys getting from point A to point B as rapidly as possible, I'm a guy who likes to enjoy the ride. It has plenty of power for my taste.

I'm impressed with the engineering. IMS bearing notwithstanding, everything about the car seems very well thought out. The car is 21 years old and has held together better than any Honda or Toyota. The fit and finish are superb.

My only complaints about the car are:
- No cruise control and no easy way to add it
- The center console could have used a higher arm rest
- No cup holders!!
- The interior trim was painted in some weird textured silver that is flaking off everywhere so I need to take the interior apart and repaint everything.
- The seatbelt is hard to reach but that's true on any convertible I've ever owned.

Other than that, I can't find any faults with the car. It is the best bang for the buck of any used sports car on the market, in my humblest of opinions.

Last edited by Huey; 05-06-2021 at 07:28 AM.
Old 05-06-2021, 07:46 AM   #17

You let people have drinks in your car? lol

Cruise can be added very easily. Just need the stalk & a durametric to turn it on. Weird yours doesn't have it as even the base came with it standard.
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 08:00 AM   #18
1999 Boxster 5 spd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stl-986 View Post
You let people have drinks in your car? lol

Cruise can be added very easily. Just need the stalk & a durametric to turn it on. Weird yours doesn't have it as even the base came with it standard.
Really? I have the Durametric so if all I need to do is add the stalk then cool beans! From an article I read on Pelican, it seemed like a huge deal that required replacing the gas pedal assembly. Maybe I misunderstood what I read.

Thanks!
Old 05-06-2021, 08:11 AM   #19

I believe that will only work on the e-gas (electronic gas pedal) models form model year 2000 and up.
The 1999 is still a mechanical throttle cable.

Someone correct me if i am wrong.
maxnine11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 08:11 AM   #20

Garage
Quote:
Me to a T. 52 here and I just bought my first Boxster two months ago and couldn't be happier.

dtunnell is offline   Reply With Quote