Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2006, 07:19 AM   #1

Car Covers

I'm looking at several used Boxster car covers (for indoor garage use only). Does anyone know if a cover that fits the 986 year 2000-2004 body style will fit the slightly different and larger 987 year 2005-2006 body style? Fit does not have to be perfect.

tomk17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 07:35 AM   #2
bmussatti

Tomk17, it won't fit!

You want the Porsche Tequipment cover # 987 044 000 00. I have one and it fits great. I am using it for indoor winter storage. I got it from"Santa" last Christmas.

I think it cost about $280. I bought from either www.sunsetporsche.com or www.suncoastporsche.com. Call both to see who has the best price and shipping charges.

When you call them, ask about the front and rear trunk liners. They are also very nice. Better to buy everthing together to "save" a little on your shipping charges.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:41 AM   #3
bmussatti

Tomk17, here is a helpful link:

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=P&Product_Code=987carcover&Category_Code=987cc

If you decide to try the 986 cover route, please send me a PM, I have access to a used one for sale and the Porsche Part # is 501-986.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:52 AM   #4

Is there really a benefit in having a car cover for indoor storage? I considered one but not sure I see the benefit.

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 10:10 AM   #5
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by drburton
Is there really a benefit in having a car cover for indoor storage? I considered one but not sure I see the benefit.
For the 5 month storage period I am looking at...I hope the cover keeps the car clean! That simple for me.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:44 AM   #6

I use my cover for...

anytime the car is parked for more than a day in the garage. It is nice because then there is vey little dust on and in the car, and it adds a bit of protection from my kids and wife!

Mike
2005 Box S (Arrest me Yellow)
Esoril 540iT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 11:04 AM   #7
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoril 540iT
anytime the car is parked for more than a day in the garage. It is nice because then there is vey little dust on and in the car, and it adds a bit of protection from my kids and wife!

Mike
2005 Box S (Arrest me Yellow)

Esoril, sounds like you put the cover on even with the top down. Am I right? Sounds like a good idea. I may do this too. For extended park-time in the garage, during driving season, I put the top up to keep the inside clean too. Never thought about using the cover instead, and saving the shelf-life of my power top mechanism.

Do you make sure the car is clean prior to covering?
Old 11-02-2006, 11:42 AM   #8

Good car cover dialog but...

Good stuff but the question remains... do the older covers fit the 05-06 body style? I'm trying to cheap out and get a used cover, thanks.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:46 AM   #9
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomk17
Good stuff but the question remains... do the older covers fit the 05-06 body style? I'm trying to cheap out and get a used cover, thanks.

Tomk17, I thought I answered your question with the post right after your original question. The answer is no.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:59 PM   #10

Cover

Got it, thanks - I glossed over the first line. This is a great site where people actually respond! I'm a new Porsche owner, pretty knowledgeable about cars but not specifically Porsches. thanks again.