986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   I've hopped on the bandwagon (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/8023-ive-hopped-bandwagon.html)

PurpleDog 11-01-2006 11:21 PM

I've hopped on the bandwagon

An introduction...
After a few months of looking for a nice S, I am happy to finally be an owner. My 2002 arrived from California and I picked it up yesterday. It's silver with a black interior and six speed transmission. My wife-to-be took it in today to the dealer to have the child seat installed (we have a 2 year old daughter) and to get the keys fixed (pricey little buggers). Next up, we are looking for iPod compatibility, a silver hard top, and 18" wheels would be nice. Our Boxster's stablemates include a 1971 Corvette Roadster, 1975 Triumph TR6, a couple of 5 series BMWs and a 1978 Pontiac Firebird undergoing restification (including transplanting a 455).

We paid 29,000 for the S, and the only thing wrong with it is a small tear in the plastic window. A few hours before I picked it up, the dealer decided it would be fun to put the top down. It was about 35 degrees (I'm in Seattle). Brilliant. That's getting fixed this weekend, on their dollar.

I'll have lots of questions in the future. Hopefully I'll be able to answer a few eventually too.

Robert

z12358 11-02-2006 02:36 AM

PurpleDog, congrats and welcome!
It's nice to hear a Box S is joining such a stable fo classics. How many miles on it?
You know the drill... Pics and more comments, please. :)

Z.

Chills 11-02-2006 04:27 AM

Congratulations from a fellow '02 S new owner (bought mine less than a month ago. Post up some pictures.

As for iPod compatibility check your PMs.

djomlas 11-02-2006 05:05 AM

congrats man, enjoy it

denverpete 11-02-2006 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PurpleDog
My wife-to-be took it in today to the dealer to have the child seat installed (we have a 2 year old daughter) and to get the keys fixed (pricey little buggers)....
Robert

Congrats!!!!!

David_J 11-02-2006 06:44 AM

Welcome. Nice to see another Seattle area person here. There is a group of us that go on drives every so often. Looks for posts regarding Seattle area events.

Have fun driving your car in the rain the next week. I know I will. :)

-David

bmussatti 11-02-2006 07:02 AM

PurpleDog, congrats on the new car!

How is the dealer fixing the tear in the plastic window? Are they replacing the whole top...one with the glass window would be nice, and worth you putting a few extra dollars in, for the upgrade?

jeffsquire 11-02-2006 07:58 AM

Hey

Purpledog, WELCOME!! Hope you enjoy the years of pleasure your new S will provide.

Tonight make sure to grab a beer, a cigar, a lawn chair (yes a lawn chair so the ashes don't ruin leather one) and admire your new beauty.

bmussatti 11-02-2006 08:04 AM

[QUOTE=Tonight make sure to grab a beer, a cigar, a lawn chair (yes a lawn chair so the ashes don't ruin leather one) and admire your new beauty.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a "Boston Legal" momment!!

CJ_Boxster 11-02-2006 10:13 AM

Quote:

the only thing wrong with it is a small tear in the plastic window. A few hours before I picked it up, the dealer decided it would be fun to put the top down. It was about 35 degrees (I'm in Seattle). Brilliant. That's getting fixed this weekend, on their dollar.

I'll have lots of questions in the future. Hopefully I'll be able to answer a few eventually too.

Robert

You lucky dog! I called the Porsche dealer and thats a $3000 job! I wish my dealer would just replace it if i broke it. I still have a hole in my rear window that looks like someone through a bowling ball through it.

Marc Gelefsky 11-02-2006 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
You lucky dog! I called the Porsche dealer and thats a $3000 job! I wish my dealer would just replace it if i broke it. I still have a hole in my rear window that looks like someone through a bowling ball through it.

Im sorry? $3000 to replace a plastic rear window??

jeffsquire 11-02-2006 10:28 AM

[QUOTE=bmussatti]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tonight make sure to grab a beer, a cigar, a lawn chair (yes a lawn chair so the ashes don't ruin leather one) and admire your new beauty.[/QUOTE

Sounds like a "Boston Legal" momment!!

It sounds like another fine forum member with superior taste in television entertainment.

Let me say this: As a lawyer I absolutely hate 99% of the legal shows out there. Very few are accurate, and if they're accurate theyre boring.

Boston legal, is a little accurate, a little good procedural, but mostly outrageous which makes it so fantastic.

bmussatti 11-02-2006 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffsquire

It sounds like another fine forum member with superior taste in television entertainment.

Let me say this: As a lawyer I absolutely hate 99% of the legal shows out there. Very few are accurate, and if they're accurate theyre boring.

Boston legal, is a little accurate, a little good procedural, but mostly outrageous which makes it so fantastic.

Hey afterall...we're flamingos!! :)

PurpleDog 11-02-2006 11:56 AM

Here's the picture below. It's a little wet out as you can see, but that's the Northwest for you. It had 25,220 miles on it when we arrived, and we paid 29k for it. Apparently they are going to replace the whole top. They said it's better to do it that way. I'll drop it off on Saturday and it should be ready the next day.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b120/rcread/box.jpg

bmussatti 11-02-2006 12:02 PM

Quote:

Here's the picture below. It's a little wet out as you can see, but that's the Northwest for you. It had 25,220 miles on it when we arrived, and we paid 29k for it. Apparently they are going to replace the whole top. They said it's better to do it that way. I'll drop it off on Saturday and it should be ready the next day.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b120/rcread/box.jpg

Try to get a replacement top with a glass window.

Nice car!

CJ_Boxster 11-02-2006 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
Im sorry? $3000 to replace a plastic rear window??

Yeah i called the dealer, Pacific Porsche...Parts and labor, $3000.

Marc Gelefsky 11-02-2006 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
Yeah i called the dealer, Pacific Porsche...Parts and labor, $3000.

Carlos, thats insane! I had an entire new top with a glass window done for under 2K by a dealer.

They must be replacing the entire top.

Juat a new plastic window sewn in is under 500 I think.

bmussatti 11-02-2006 12:42 PM

I bet that "dealership" he got the car from has no clue how much this is going to cost 'em! $3,000! They are going to choke! If they pay for a new top, then that tells me that they overcharged PurpleDog for the car. Something is not right here.

CJ_Boxster 11-02-2006 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
Carlos, thats insane! I had an entire new top with a glass window done for under 2K by a dealer.

They must be replacing the entire top.

Juat a new plastic window sewn in is under 500 I think.

Yeah with your numbers, it seems that they quoted me a pretty high price, which is weird, they get all the business in Los Angeles, they are the reason that 1 outta 30 cars in Torrance/PV is a boxster or some type of porsche. greed huh.

PurpleDog 11-02-2006 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmussatti
I bet that "dealership" he got the car from has no clue how much this is going to cost 'em! $3,000! They are going to choke! If they pay for a new top, then that tells me that they overcharged PurpleDog for the car. Something is not right here.

The person we bought the car from went to high school with my fiancé, and is the brother of her best friend. He got us a great deal on the car at 29K. The dealership where he works sells mostly German cars, with a few Mini Coopers and Jaguars. He has lots of connections, and I know he is getting a deal on the top. Plus, he is on the lookout for another car for us, so there is money to be made there.