986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   LN Spin-On Oil Filter Adapter (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/80110-ln-spin-oil-filter-adapter.html)

Seadweller 04-20-2021 05:40 AM

LN Spin-On Oil Filter Adapter

It's been out for a while now, and I'm heavily considering it during my next oil change.

Has anyone experienced, or heard/read of any issues/failures associated with this?

Thanks!

BrantyB 04-20-2021 06:23 AM

I have had it installed on my car for 4 years without any issue.

TeamOxford 04-20-2021 06:59 AM

I've had three of the LN units on my Porsches; never any issue.

And I always opt for the full monty: spin on filter adapter, magnetic rain plug, and Filtermag. Any metal dust is going to have to work hard to get into the internals.

Just sayin'..........

TO

Frodo 04-20-2021 11:19 AM

Have had mine since 2009.

No problems except one. A few years ago I had the car into an indy shop to do some other work on it. While they had it, it dawned on me that she was due for an oil change. I figured they had the car on a lift, why not. Called and asked them to do an oil/filter change for me.

Next time I went to change my oil, when I went to unscrew the filter I ended up with both the filter AND the adapter firmly attached. That had never happened to me before. I worked on it for a while and had no luck. The guy at the shop seemed to have cranked on it (via the filter??) with some sort of breaker bar. I didn't have any ideas or anyone around to help, so I took it to an Advance Auto where one of the guys working there and I, using a heavy duty vice and I don't even remember what else got the two apart after several minutes of effort. The filter looked like someone had driven a tank over it.

Put it back on (torqueing to the proper level) and haven't had that (or any other) problem with it since.

MYRX 04-21-2021 01:52 AM

This was the first thing I added when I bought my 986. Very happy with the spin on filter.

Racer Boy 04-21-2021 06:43 AM

I had one on my '02, never any problems. In fact, I have it for sale, since I took it off the car when I sold it.

They go for $159 new from LN, I'll sell it for $75 plus shipping. Let me know if you are interested.

Holster Maker 04-23-2021 12:20 AM

Excellent upgrade, no problems, just torque it and should be no problems with reduced torqued filter.

Homeoboxter 04-23-2021 10:34 AM

Do you guys cut apart the spin-on filters too to inspect every once in a while? Just wondering.

Frodo 04-23-2021 10:52 AM

Yeah, that's the one problem with those: easy inspection of filter contents is no longer possible.

There are 'can opener' tools that are specifically for opening up standard, spin on filters. I've just not gotten one yet.

JFP in PA 04-23-2021 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeoboxter (Post 634005)
Do you guys cut apart the spin-on filters too to inspect every once in a while? Just wondering.

Every time.

JFP in PA 04-23-2021 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frodo (Post 634008)
Yeah, that's the one problem with those: easy inspection of filter contents is no longer possible.

There are 'can opener' tools that are specifically for opening up standard, spin on filters. I've just not gotten one yet.

You are getting better/finer particle filtration and 100% filtration in exchange for 15 seconds of labor to see the filter media for inspection….seems like a worthwhile trade off.

Frodo 04-23-2021 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 634011)
You are getting better/finer particle filtration and 100% filtration in exchange for 15 seconds of labor to see the filter media for inspection….seems like a worthwhile trade off.

Agree. That's why I got one. :D

Homeoboxter 04-23-2021 03:58 PM

Just googled for how people do this, this is a nice one how he makes a tool holder out of it :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrH92W6ODy4

TeamOxford 04-23-2021 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frodo (Post 634008)

I can cut through a 51042 filter canister in less than 5 minutes with my Dremel and a cutoff disc. No big deal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 634011)

THIS !!!!!!!!!

Just sayin'.........

TO

Frodo 04-24-2021 05:26 AM

Unscrewing the OEM filter housing, 5 seconds--> Easy

Getting out the dremel, attaching the right cutoff disc, securing the filter to be able to work effectively on it, doing the cutting-->Less easy.

Never said it was difficult or challenging. Just not as easy.

Just sayin' as well.....

All said and done, regardless of whether I cut open the filter or not, I'm happy with my decision to use my LN spin-on and a Wix filter.

Frodo 04-24-2021 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeoboxter (Post 634027)
Just googled for how people do this, this is a nice one how he makes a tool holder out of it :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrH92W6ODy4

Will give this a try on next oil change!