Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2006, 06:59 PM   #1

Another bumper thread

What about these? I wonder if these are crap.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-986-Boxster-996-CTR-Turbo-style-bumper-New_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ36475QQihZ007QQitem Z170045092847QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Old 10-31-2006, 07:43 PM   #2

I like the look as long as the mesh screens could be black for my black car. I don't know what "flex fiber glass" is though... fiber glass cracks, doesn't it?
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 04:42 AM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Fiberglass flexes amazingly well. It will eventually crack under a lot of pressure, though, but it takes a lot if it is good fiberglass.

I have fiberglass bodywork on my track bike and it has held up well after a crash or two.

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 10:06 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Travis
I was looking at this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSCHE-CARRERA-AND-BOXSTER-TURBO-LOOK-BUMPER-KIT_W0QQitemZ170045086046QQihZ007QQcategoryZ36475Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The seller said it is all polyurethane with exception to the skirts, looks pretty close to what you were looking at.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 11:32 AM   #5
KronixSpeed

yeah they are both nice bumpers. i like the carbon inserts on the bumper that you are looking at ohioboxster. pretty expensive.

the bumper that travis listed is also nice. a bit more simple. depends on which look you like.

ohio that bumper looks more younger styles....i say this because it looks a lot like the an aftermarket bumper.....

travis that bumper looks more older style, a bit more standard looking, not aftermarket....

personally i love the gt3 bumper. the price is a bit more attractive. i like how it sits real low. reminds me of all the porsches that you see on tv in the races....

all are very nice. anything that is different from the boring front bumpers that we have, that sit sooo high.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:34 AM   #6
KronixSpeed

i love this view of the turbo bumper......
Old 11-01-2006, 11:35 AM   #7
KronixSpeed

n if you are considering to spend this much on a front bumper. you should consider the ruf front bumper...very nice n simple.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:47 AM   #8
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KronixSpeed
n if you are considering to spend this much on a front bumper. you should consider the ruf front bumper...very nice n simple.
Aren't these all FRP (fiberglass reinforced plastic)? Doesn't this stuff chip/crack more easily than the urethane OEM bumpers and are harder to fit properly?

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 11:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis
I was looking at this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSCHE-CARRERA-AND-BOXSTER-TURBO-LOOK-BUMPER-KIT_W0QQitemZ170045086046QQihZ007QQcategoryZ36475Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The seller said it is all polyurethane with exception to the skirts, looks pretty close to what you were looking at.
Travis, for this kind of money, it had BETTER be made of polyurethane! Geez that's a lot of money for a plastic bumper.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 11:53 AM   #10
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Travis, for this kind of money, it had BETTER be made of polyurethane! Geez that's a lot of money for a plastic bumper.
I would clarify something with the seller. What I'm thinking is that the front bumper is also fiberglass, but with a polyurethane LOWER LIP. I would double check to make sure you don't get duped.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 02:02 PM   #11

The Ruf bumper is 1800 bucks. That link is a bumper and side skirts. If its not fiber glass I would have to consider it too.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:31 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to Travis
I did ask the seller and he said all of the parts are poly except the side skirts which is FRP.

I like the skirts but not sold on the bumper, I did call the guy in Sugarland that Randall mentioned in a prior post (EuropeanMods.com) about his Zender side skirts ($250.00 if I pick up).

http://986forum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4421&stc=1

Travis is offline   Reply With Quote