Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2021, 08:03 AM   #1

Imobilizer Engaged Problem

Just bought my first Porsche (2000 Boxster) 2 weeks ago. Have driven it daily until yesterday when left key in ignition for couple of hours. Now won’t start. Battery strong and new key fob battery. Have followed the reset to position ‘0’ as per manual. Have locked down roof, rolled windows up and locked/unlocked with key fob. All lights and instruments work and starter turns over just fine - but appears no spark as if code isn’t being seen. Any help guys...PLEASE!!! Joe

Jbowieria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 09:23 AM   #2

AFAIK, if the immobilizer was engaged the starter wouldn't turn over. It could be a fuel or spark problem, but not your immobilizer.
Old 04-08-2021, 12:17 PM   #3

It started first crank consistently for 15-20 starts over the two weeks I’ve had it. It was only when key was left in ignition for a couple of hours; that’s when it wouldn’t spark - but the starter cranks just fine. That’s why I thought it was that dang imobilizer activating
Old 04-08-2021, 12:17 PM   #4
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Is there any chance that rain got into the car from the showers that came through yesterday? The box that houses the immobilizer circuitry is under the driver's seat and is notorious for failing if water reaches it. *If the windows and locks work well its probably not the problem, but worth checking.

Slide the seat forward, pull up the floor carpet at the back wall. See if the padding under the carpet is damp.
Old 04-08-2021, 12:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbowieria View Post
It started first crank consistently for 15-20 starts over the two weeks I’ve had it. It was only when key was left in ignition for a couple of hours; that’s when it wouldn’t spark - but the starter cranks just fine. That’s why I thought it was that dang imobilizer activating
Does the tach needle "bounce" when you crank it over?
Old 04-16-2021, 07:20 AM   #6

Just an update. After letting the car sit for several days , it immediately started right up. While I don’t fully understand how the imobilizer works, I do know this: I left key in ignition for a couple of hours and car subsequently wouldn’t start. Starter would turn over normal but no spark to ignite. Tried the Porsche Manuel’s reset instructions , but didn’t work. Also tried other people’s suggestions such as locking top down; rolling up windows to reset - but didn’t work.

What did work was just to leave it alone for 4 days and “maybe” allow imobilizer timer to count down and allow car to pair up with key and start. I’ll let all know if something else comes up but wanted to share this experience.

Tags
imobilizer engaged , key left too long