986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Starting a 986 after storage (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/80028-starting-986-after-storage.html)

tpodowd 04-06-2021 11:30 PM

Starting a 986 after storage

Hi all,

I've a 2004 Boxster S. It's been sitting in my garage (un-driven) for various reasons (I know?!) for about 1 year. I've had it on trickle charge the whole time. I tried to start it this weekend but it won't catch. When you turn on the ignition I get all the dash lights, the needle rises a bit, the fuel gauge shows 1/2 and then when I try to start it, it cranks (is that the right word) strongly as the battery is good, but it doesn't start.

I tried the following:
* Added 10L of good fuel. Gauge now shows 1/2.
* Turned on and let sit for 30s before trying to start (friend recommended this).
* Pressed throttle to floor with car off, released throttle and then tried to start.
* Turned on ignition, pressed throttle to the floor and tried to start.

Nothing worked although it does crank strongly. The engine just doesn't catch.

I'm wondering if it is fuel related (maybe old fuel????).

It's actually quite hard to get the car out of the garage as it is down a 11% slope out onto a narrow street so hard to bring it to a shop.

Anyway - looking for advice. Would be nice to get it going again as its a fantastic drive. When I last drove it, it was in perfect condition. Shame I had to leave it so long.

Thanks for reading and for any advice.

elgyqc 04-07-2021 05:03 AM

Personally I have never had a problem with fuel going so bad after one (or two) years that the car won't start. If the car was running fine before the problem is probably fuel or spark. Is it possible that you have a rodent problem? There are a lot cases of rodents chewing through wire insulation leading to electrical component failure. Check fuses.

Blue99 04-07-2021 05:38 AM

Check the fuel pump is working I’ve just had exactly the same thing

ddruker 04-07-2021 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue99 (Post 633113)

Try pushing the car vigorously back to front like you are trying to push it up a speed bump. You want to introduce a wave into the fuel tank.

This problem can occur when the contacts inside the fuel pump motor get corroded. Getting the fuel to move can just slightly turn the impeller and get the fuel pump to make solid electrical contact.

tpodowd 04-07-2021 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elgyqc (Post 633112)
Personally I have never had a problem with fuel going so bad after one (or two) years that the car won't start. If the car was running fine before the problem is probably fuel or spark. Is it possible that you have a rodent problem? There are a lot cases of rodents chewing through wire insulation leading to electrical component failure. Check fuses.

I haven't seen any rodents around the garage (or house in general). It's pretty clean with nothing really lying around to attract them except the car and some bikes. But anything is possible I guess. I'll check the fuses. It is a good idea ot check them anyway although the car cranks just fine but fails to catch.

tpodowd 04-07-2021 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddruker (Post 633141)
Try pushing the car vigorously back to front like you are trying to push it up a speed bump. You want to introduce a wave into the fuel tank.

This problem can occur when the contacts inside the fuel pump motor get corroded. Getting the fuel to move can just slightly turn the impeller and get the fuel pump to make solid electrical contact.

Interesting suggestion. I'll see what I can do to make the fuel move around. A wave is going to be an interesting challenge :rolleyes: Suspension is pretty hard though I guess so will see where I can get to.

tpodowd 04-07-2021 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue99 (Post 633113)

Btw. How does one check that the fuel pump is working? Sounds like you got your issue fixed. That is good to hear.

Blue99 04-08-2021 07:36 AM

I checked mine a bit Heath Robinson kind of way. I removed the battery and tray connected a multi meter across fuel pump connections got some jump leads connected up the battery and listened /felt when ign was turned on - mine was dead but never had a prob till parked up re - COVID

tpodowd 04-17-2021 10:50 PM

Thanks. I finally had some time today to try the car again. I wasn't really able to give a wave of fuel going. I Wonder would jacking it up on one side help? Which wheel if so? It's left hand drive (if that matters?). I don't have a multi-meter handy to check the fuel pump that way. I guess I can try call roadside assistance and see if they can help.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue99 (Post 633186)
I checked mine a bit Heath Robinson kind of way. I removed the battery and tray connected a multi meter across fuel pump connections got some jump leads connected up the battery and listened /felt when ign was turned on - mine was dead but never had a prob till parked up re - COVID

Traco 04-18-2021 03:05 AM

Can you hear the pump whirr when you turn on the ignition without starting? You should be able to hear the fuel pump priming and building pressure. If you can't then start there.

I just checked mine and you will need to listen very carefully as it's a faint noise.

Stl-986 04-18-2021 04:51 AM

Tow it to a shop that can diagnose it

djw8282 03-23-2023 02:46 PM

Hey tpodopowd,

What was the outcome of your starting issue? I'm having the exact same issue after the car has been sitting for a year.

Dan

deemce1 03-25-2023 07:31 AM

OK. I too have a similar problem. Last year at this time, turned the key and no issues. This year, turn the key, starts right up .... for about three seconds, then dies. I can nurse it alive longer than 3 seconds but as soon as I stop nursing the gas pedal, it dies.

Any ideas?

Thanks

blue62 03-25-2023 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djw8282 (Post 651904)
Hey tpodopowd,

What was the outcome of your starting issue? I'm having the exact same issue after the car has been sitting for a year.

Dan

Get a can of spray starting fluid.
Remove your air cleaner spray the starting fluid into the intake.
Then crank the engine and see if it will at least fire.
Let us know what you find.

Also what year is the car and how many miles????

blue62 03-25-2023 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deemce1 (Post 651933)
OK. I too have a similar problem. Last year at this time, turned the key and no issues. This year, turn the key, starts right up .... for about three seconds, then dies. I can nurse it alive longer than 3 seconds but as soon as I stop nursing the gas pedal, it dies.

Any ideas?

Thanks

First thing:
Test your fuel pump relay and your fuel injector relay. To make sure they are functioning correctly. Or replace them.
If that does not fix the problem then the next step is to test the fuel pressure at the fuel rail.

What year is the car????? How many miles????

deemce1 03-25-2023 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue62 (Post 651936)
First thing:
Test your fuel pump relay and your fuel injector relay. To make sure they are functioning correctly. Or replace them.
If that does not fix the problem then the next step is to test the fuel pressure at the fuel rail.

What year is the car????? How many miles????

2003 ~68,000 miles

blue62 03-25-2023 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deemce1 (Post 651937)
2003 ~68,000 miles

Go through the steps I outlined then we will go from there..

Did the battery go dead or did you disconnect it during the storage period????

Do you have a check engine light on????

deemce1 03-25-2023 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deemce1 (Post 651937)
2003 ~68,000 miles

OK. I cleaned the contact in the Fuel pump relay. Same symptoms (fires right up then dies after 2 seconds). Jumped out the relay ( when jumped, I can hear the fuel pump come on). Restarted - same symptoms.

Any ideas? :confused:

deemce1 03-25-2023 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue62 (Post 651939)
Go through the steps I outlined then we will go from there..

Did the battery go dead or did you disconnect it during the storage period????

Do you have a check engine light on????

Battery did not go dead. I had it on a Porsche charger while in storage.

No CEL on.

I will clean up the fuel injector relay now and report back. Thanks for the return replies

Where do I find the injector relay??

blue62 03-25-2023 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deemce1 (Post 651941)
Battery did not go dead. I had it on a Porsche charger while in storage.

No CEL on.

I will clean up the fuel injector relay now and report back. Thanks for the return replies

Ok so not a ECU/DME relearning issue.

When you have the car running does it backfire??? miss?? anything like that????
When it dies is it just like it is running out of gas???? or something different???

The reason I ask that is:
If the car was stored with fuel that contains Ethanol...Ethanol is Hygroscopic (draws moisture from the air)....so your fuel could have water in it. If the car is missing,backfiring, acting weird while it is running then that could be the issue.

If the car was stored with Non-Ethanol fuel and the car runs fair for the few seconds but just seems to run out of fuel when it dies....
Then that seems more like just a fuel delivery issue.

I am on my computer multiple times a day so I will check back and see if I can help you out.