986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Suggestions for suspension improvements for my 2003 Boxster? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/80024-suggestions-suspension-improvements-my-2003-boxster.html)

34dean 04-06-2021 12:03 PM

Suggestions for suspension improvements for my 2003 Boxster?

Hi all,
I have an 03 Boxster base that i am looking to improve the suspension and feel/handling on. Currently have stock everything. Car has 74K. Just did IMS/RMS/Clutch/Flywheel so looking to do this on a budget. I only use the car for roads, no track stuff etc.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

:cheers:

Gilles 04-06-2021 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 34dean (Post 633081)
Hi all,
I have an 03 Boxster base that i am looking to improve the suspension and feel/handling on. Currently have stock everything. Car has 74K. Just did IMS/RMS/Clutch/Flywheel so looking to do this on a budget. I only use the car for roads, no track stuff etc.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

:cheers:

Dean, by simply replacing the wear down items on the suspension, a fresh alignment and a nice set of tires will set you back between 2-3k... but the handling would be greatly improved (as intended)

Afterwards, you may want to consider a set of H&R sway bars that will help you tie the handling, these are pretty affordable without going down the rabbit hole..
as all the aftermarket goodies for these cars are expensive.

JayG 04-06-2021 04:35 PM

Another option is the M030 sport suspension. It will improve the handling without making it a racecar.

husker boxster 04-06-2021 06:25 PM

These guys have quality stuff.

www.tarett.com

ike84 04-07-2021 08:03 AM

My suggestions would be to replace sway bar bushings with energy suspensions bushings ($50-60 for front and rear, I posted a diy on them), godspeed coilovers dropped to ROW sport spec height (less than $1k), and then replace other worn items with oem replacements as needed (rear track arms are notorious for being worn and causing a clunk at low speeds over small bumps).

The biggest problem I found on my stock suspension, even though the car only had 40k, was that the struts were completely shot. So much so that the bump stops had completely disintegrated.

For street driving , I personally think that factory sway bars are plenty stiff. There are a ton of fancy aftermarket parts (tarrett makes great stuff from what I hear) but unless you want to go extreme with lowering or giant tires then that stuff is way overkill and frankly not needed to get a good alignment.

When replacing tires, consider going up to 225 in the front. It helps correct the stock understeer.

I also run spacers, more for looks but theoretically a bit wider stance helps.

Speaking of alignments, find a guy who will let you be there for the process. Adjust camber to factory max settings and just a bit of toe on the rear. Make absolutely sure that each side is equal. This is the setup I run and I promise you will be happy for street driving (that topic though can be expanded upon quite significantly though, of you know what I mean ;) ).

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

edc 04-07-2021 09:53 AM

For the road I find the Koni FSD marginally better the M030 for roughly the same cost.

Luckyman01 04-08-2021 06:20 AM

Yellow speed coil overs

Dynamic Pro Sport Coilovers 1997-2004 Porsche Boxster (986)

Opinions on these please.

34dean 04-10-2021 09:04 AM

Thanks, all. Great stuff! I am trying to stay under a $2,000 budget and want to get the most bang for my buck.
Also, I am in CT so if anyone has a recommendation of a shop to get the work done at that would be helpful too.

Stl-986 04-10-2021 09:16 AM

Koni sports all around and new tires can be done for under $1k. Koni orange would be cheaper. Get a good alignment and you will be happy around town. Not sure I would mess with different springs for an occasional driver or mess with adjustable height.

I have found prioritytire.come has good prices on tires and firestone usually mounts them pretty cheap.

34dean 04-11-2021 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stl-986 (Post 633302)
Koni sports all around and new tires can be done for under $1k. Koni orange would be cheaper. Get a good alignment and you will be happy around town. Not sure I would mess with different springs for an occasional driver or mess with adjustable height.

I have found prioritytire.come has good prices on tires and firestone usually mounts them pretty cheap.

Thank you. As I a beginner in this area, can you explain what 'Koni sports all around" means?

Stl-986 04-11-2021 06:42 AM

Koni sports are shocks/struts. all around means on each wheel. The sport models are adjustable but since the rears aren't that easy to get to to adjust there isn't much reason to put them in the rear.

Contr_eras 04-17-2021 12:06 AM

What ever you do DONT CHEAP OUT ON SUSPENSION PARTS! I have BC Racing BR Series coilovers on my car and I love them 1300 US, completely adjustable spring rate(30 settings), height adjustments, and stiffness. I have it lowered just to have a 1 finger fender gap right now might go a little lower though:). I'm super happy with them. I know Rennline sells some struts and what not but I don't have any experience with them, their for sure on the list though.

ike84 04-17-2021 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Contr_eras (Post 633652)
What ever you do DONT CHEAP OUT ON SUSPENSION PARTS! I have BC Racing BR Series coilovers on my car and I love them 1300 US, completely adjustable spring rate(30 settings), height adjustments, and stiffness. I have it lowered just to have a 1 finger fender gap right now might go a little lower though:). I'm super happy with them. I know Rennline sells some struts and what not but I don't have any experience with them, their for sure on the list though.

Be careful with going too low. If the coffin arms go below horizontally it completely changes the geometry of the suspension. Look in the factory service manual and you will see specs for row sport suspension height, which is about as low as you can go without things changing drastically.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk