Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2021, 07:31 PM   #1

Garage
Temperature Gauge Light Blinking on Right side

99 Boxster with 99k miles. Just had the oil & coolant service performed on it last week.

Drove the car about 20 minutes and noticed the red light blinking on the right side of the temp gauge.

Checked the coolant level, which seemed topped off. Checked under the car and no leaks.

Headed back to the shop, but any suggestions in the mean time?

jaideepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 08:18 AM   #2
1998 Boxster Owner

Coolant Light Blinking
Benitom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 06:42 PM   #3

If the car has one (which ours does) I will usually open the burp valve for 1-2 weeks after a coolant flush to let all the little bubbles out before they turn into big ones. That will usually help prevent issues and expedite the"leveling out" process. Just my 2c.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Old 04-01-2021, 06:57 PM   #4

Garage
I had an Indy replace the water pump on my 04S last fall. On the way home the coolant system burped and gave the flashing light for low coolant. Mine was low. Could also be a leaking/ loose cap. Rick
Rickvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 06:59 AM   #5
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickvd View Post
Could also be a leaking/ loose cap. Rick
Yes, check the cap for cross threading. The one and only time my coolant light flashed was when I checked the level and put it back on cock eyed. Also make sure it is the newest cap available ending in 04. The relief valve spring on the cap can get weak on older caps.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 08:58 AM   #6

My light was blinking recently. Removed the cap, double checked that it was the 04 version, shook it, re-installed it, and the blink went away. My guess is it loosened up sometime since I last touched it many years ago.
Old 04-06-2021, 06:34 AM   #7

FYI......over time (23 yrs) my coolant tank began to develop "tiny "spider cracks". Under pressure they would open slightly and coolant would leak BELOW the trunk carpet and raised trunk floorboard. I couldn't figure out how I was losing a little coolant each time I drove it and needed to add every few weeks.

Once i started to see a few drops on the garage floor I began investigating the source........to my shock, once I removed the trunk's raised floorboard I saw a puddle sloshing around.

SO........old plastic coolant tanks can leak slowly under pressure even though they visually look good and not discolored.

Rob175 is offline   Reply With Quote