Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2021, 06:54 AM   #1

Smile engine sump baffle replacement !

good morning guys , apologies if this is a duplicate thread done yesterday..

anyways, I have owned my 01 2.7 for two years and LOVE it
previously had an issue with oil pan drain cap stripped out threads - thanks to Maytag i got a good pan to replace it with - never got around to , I have replaced the oil twice sealed the drain cap using blue sylicon maker around the threads ( i got that idea from another thread in one of he forums ), its worked twice !

DONT want to push my luck any longer ! need to remove pan question is
can i get new baffle and install it on the good pan ? and which one to get ?
and what else would i need ? ive seen a baffle at pelican parts .com

any recommendations suggestions greatly appreciate it

jaimster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 02:14 PM   #2
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

What's wrong with the existing baffle? You could remove it from the old... install in the new.

No?

Old 03-25-2021, 04:28 PM   #3

See if you can get your hands in an x51 baffle. Not much talk of the on here that I have seen, but there's a great series of youtube videos by an english guy and shows the x51 baffle - it seems like it would likely help with the oil starvation issues compared to the standard one.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Old 03-25-2021, 04:50 PM   #4

Do you track the car and corner hard at high speeds? Maybe you don't need a special baffle.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 05:26 PM   #5

I really don't drive the car that much or fast .. i m going to look into the X51 baffle
might be a good idea on doing some upgrades on the car.. or I could use the existing baffle on the new pan..
thanks guys.
jaimster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 05:32 PM   #6

Unless you are tracking the car, and I mean wheel to wheel not an HPDE, there is no reason for any other baffle other then stock. If your current one is cracked/broken then obviously replace it but otherwise just transfer the old over to the new plate.

It isn't how fast you drive, it's how fast you drive into turns over and over and over again within minutes of each turn where you would need anything like the x51.

Of course, it is your money & car but for a street car, it's not an upgrade but more of a waste of cash. I know guys that do wheel to wheel in 986 & caymans every weekend for the entire summer and have never needed one or had any issues.
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 06:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stl-986 View Post
Unless you are tracking the car, and I mean wheel to wheel not an HPDE, there is no reason for any other baffle other then stock. If your current one is cracked/broken then obviously replace it but otherwise just transfer the old over to the new plate.

It isn't how fast you drive, it's how fast you drive into turns over and over and over again within minutes of each turn where you would need anything like the x51.

Of course, it is your money & car but for a street car, it's not an upgrade but more of a waste of cash. I know guys that do wheel to wheel in 986 & caymans every weekend for the entire summer and have never needed one or had any issues.
This is a stupid question, but what does wheel to wheel mean? I don't think I've ever heard that term before.

Old 03-26-2021, 06:43 AM   #8

ike84, ever heard about "rubbing paint" for those of us in NASCAR land? It's actual car to car racing.
Jgkram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 05:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgkram View Post
ike84, ever heard about "rubbing paint" for those of us in NASCAR land? It's actual car to car racing.
Ahh gotcha, I understand good ol boy speak much better.